Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #1021
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, some people should drop dead.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #1022
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Man, some people should drop dead.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM   #1023
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Meanwhile locally, one of the Flames Nation blog writers posted this:

Spoiler!

...and apparently worse (though her Twitter account is now private so can't verify). She got fired and now half the writers at FN have quit in solidarity.

Honestly, she's also a hateful piece of crap in the same vein of what Cherry has said. But I'm not surprised to see the hypocrisy and double standards coming out of the self-important little hockey blogosphere.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #1024
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Unpopular Opinion (?): I like Ron MacLean. And frankly, I don't really understand why people on this board seem to vehemently hate him.
this is my reason for disliking him

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ston-matthews/

Quote:
On the Edmonton Oilers’ 2015-16 playoff hopes:
“Fantastic. I think for sure playoffs. I tell you who’s going to be lights-out this year is Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall.

“They went over to the World Championship and played with Crosby, which is similar to Messier and Gretzky. Not that they needed any encouragement but those two Oilers flanked Mario Lemieux at the crucial moment of the Canada Cup in ’87. Now you have two Oilers flanking Sid to a gold. You watch Eberle take off. He’s already been great in international hockey, but I think this is going to be his year, Taylor Hall’s year.

“And Connor McDavid and Darnell Nurse will fit in. Gimme a glass of wine or a beer, and I think in two years they win the Cup. That may be a little eager, but I don’t think more than four.
I think his analysis isn't great.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #1025
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s not intolerant of a group of people. I’m not sure how you continue to participate in this thread without having any idea of what you’re talking about.

It’s your right to, of course, but your points are not effective or sensical and contribute very little. I think you can do a lot better than this (because I’ve seen you have some pretty informed points as a poster before this).
You know you can attack my ideas without making it personal, right? Saying "you're wrong, you don't know what that means, etc." doesn't push the discussion. I could counter with "neither do you", but I don't bother because it's equally pointless.

I know I'm largely wasting my time talking politics to posters who predominantly live in a country I left 25 years ago. Hell, I suspect my political perspective now is alien to most Canadians who have fully jumped on the speech code bandwagon. I generally avoid the non-hockey boards on this forum because, in my opinion, they only permit a narrow one-sided political perspective, which has become the norm in Canada. Which is fine, if you like having your views reinforced and unchallenged, then that's likely a safe space.

Canada, and especially Alberta, used to have a wide political spectrum. Every time I come back to visit, I find it a bit narrower than before. Not to say the same isn't happening elsewhere in the world, it most certainly is, but I still find it both sad and disturbing.

But if we all just want to tow the line and proclaim Don Cherry as a racist who should be made an example of and to hell with critical thinking, then that's fine by me. I don't come to this forum to convince you otherwise, so just as well.

Back to hockey talk.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #1026
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
this is my reason for disliking him

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ston-matthews/

I think his analysis isn't great.
He was wrong, but it's just an opinion on the topic of his profession. Hardly something that should generate some of the vitriol I read about him here.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #1027
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

...and apparently worse (though her Twitter account is now private so can't verify). She got fired and now half the writers at FN have quit in solidarity.
Yeah I followed her on Twitter, she was just going off that day..she's the daughter of Syrian refugees, so war and the dark side of militia must hit very close to home for her, which I can understand. It was overboard though, especially as a quasi sports media personality. Not surprised to hear that was the result afterwards. Too bad, she was funny, and a good follow as a Flames fan.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #1028
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I had Raminah muted, because she is incredibly childish and annoying. But doxxing her and Stace0fbase and spreading there personal information around so they can be harassed is gross and disgusting. WTF is wrong with people.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #1029
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
...Canada, and especially Alberta, used to have a wide political spectrum. Every time I come back to visit, I find it a bit narrower than before. Not to say the same isn't happening elsewhere in the world, it most certainly is, but I still find it both sad and disturbing.
Ralph Klein’s Tories used to dominate the Provincial legislature, holding over 90% of the seats, and you think Alberta is becoming progressively more politically narrow? You’re going to have to explain that one.

Quote:
But if we all just want to tow the line and proclaim Don Cherry as a racist who should be made an example of and to hell with critical thinking, then that's fine by me. I don't come to this forum to convince you otherwise, so just as well.
"Toe the line." Sorry. I just don’t see a lot of evidence for critical thinking in your responses here. I am still waiting for a cogent defense of how Cherry’s comments can be construed as anything but racist. Some posters have suggested he probably didn’t mean what he said, despite his own fierce insistence that he meant every word. If you think Cherry is being unfairly treated and mislabelled, then convince me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-13-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #1030
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Spoiler!

Honestly, she's also a hateful piece of crap in the same vein of what Cherry has said. But I'm not surprised to see the hypocrisy and double standards coming out of the self-important little hockey blogosphere.

Poppies represent tradition and an old institution, namely military service which this person I guess disapproves of. But she seems wildly confused about the direct meaning, respecting the fallen ones. But at least she's progressive, I guess.

Extremists are on both sides but what's remarkable, if indeed true, that half the writers (however many) chose to support her on this.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #1031
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
He was wrong, but it's just an opinion on the topic of his profession. Hardly something that should generate some of the vitriol I read about him here.
I used to like Ron MacLean, but more and more he has increasingly come across like a sycophant. I just don’t respect him or his opinion like I once did, and his handling of this situation is no exception. Yeah, he didn’t have any reasonable choice but to publicly apologize and distance himself from Cherry, but he should have pushed back on that crap in the broadcast to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #1032
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah I followed her on Twitter, she was just going off that day..she's the daughter of Syrian refugees, so war and the dark side of militia must hit very close to home for her, which I can understand. It was overboard though, especially as a quasi sports media personality. Not surprised to hear that was the result afterwards. Too bad, she was funny, and a good follow as a Flames fan.
If it's true half of FN quit in solidarity, I'd be surprised.
to me what she posted is way over the line , no matter what their backstory is.

She obviously has no clue to what the poppies actually mean, and is posting from ignorance.
I will give her the first part though, as an immigrant doesn't owe me squat.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #1033
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Poppies represent tradition and an old institution, namely military service which this person I guess disapproves of. But she seems wildly confused about the direct meaning, respecting the fallen ones. But at least she's progressive, I guess.

Extremists are on both sides but what's remarkable, if indeed true, that half the writers (however many) chose to support her on this.
The reaction to her childish idiocy is really fascinating. As WastedYouth noted, there is a group of repugnant people doxxing her and some of her supporters in a bid to prove that no matter how low someone gets, someone else is always willing to go lower. Meanwhile, some of her other supporters are pulling the race card as a defence - as if it is okay to fire a hateful old white man but not okay to fire a hateful young woman of colour.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #1034
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
The reaction to her childish idiocy is really fascinating. As WastedYouth noted, there is a group of repugnant people doxxing her and some of her supporters in a bid to prove that no matter how low someone gets, someone else is always willing to go lower. Meanwhile, some of her other supporters are pulling the race card as a defence - as if it is okay to fire a hateful old white man but not okay to fire a hateful young woman of colour.
It is baffling how some of these people in that circle (who I know), are supporting her garbage take.

I've just been getting up to speed. She is clearly wrong, and she clearly needed to be removed from her position as a writer.

And she clearly needs to grow the #### up.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #1035
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
If it's true half of FN quit in solidarity, I'd be surprised.
to me what she posted is way over the line , no matter what their backstory is.

She obviously has no clue to what the poppies actually mean, and is posting from ignorance.
I will give her the first part though, as an immigrant doesn't owe me squat.
I bet that goes for a lot of people who wear them, too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:22 AM   #1036
Bukowski
Draft Pick

We all know what Don Cherry said. It's all a matter of perspective and how you generally view the world is how you react to it. He can apologize all he wants and saying "I meant to say all Canadians.." doesn't jive with "..who come here for the milk and honey." It just doesn't. You have a leader in the US who says these things daily and a lot of you on Facebook, twitter and CP seem to want that in this country. The lead up to the election confirmed it and most of the people, I've noticed, who are agreeing with Cherry's comments didn't vote for Trudeau, and that's fine. 66% of eligible voters voted in this year's election - if only 34% more did, all your dreams could of come true.

You can make it about the poppy and disrespect for veterans but that's not what it was about. I agree. Wear the poppy, but why?? How is anybody supposed to know without education?

If you come to this country, you're probably getting away from poverty or civil war, because no one leaves a safe place to come get crapped on for doing it.

We are very lucky to live where we live, that if we had to go somewhere else, we'd have the ability to learn the language or customs first before we went. I don't think people realize this enough and just look down at an immigrant for being unable to understand the language, law or custom that we have. You just expect someone to understand everything right off the bat after they get here from a poverty or war-torn country? They're just noticing there are no tanks in the streets and the military isn't harassing them on a daily basis, just happy to be out of that only to be told to "go back home" or "speak English".

People like Don Cherry, who is 85 and probably won't change, just don't see this perspective and that's really sad.

Go Flames
Bukowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bukowski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #1037
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really want the Canes players to do a post-game celebration involving milk and honey
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #1038
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like Trevor’s Axiom to me.

Ignore the part about wrestling. It was the best link I could find.

https://twitter.com/user/status/807056508974493696
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #1039
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is US politics in a nutshell (Canada too?). It's a form of tribalism where no matter how wrong you are, you can't admit it since it's considered a concession for the other side. Instead both camps dig deeper and use everything as ammunition against each other. It creates a toxic spiral which effectively ends any real discussion.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 09:47 AM   #1040
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Yep, so promoting intolerance. Towards a group you...hate? Or do we love those intolerable bigots? Just trying to get the double speak straight.

You are really making an ass of yourself in this thread.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: