Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #61
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Isn't this a 35+ contract? How can they just get rid of it with no cap implications?
Does a release imply that they get cap relief? They have a lot of cap space anyways, so I don't think it will make much of a difference.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #62
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
We can do better. Kovalchuk would have been great before Neal. But Kovalchuk dont want no Canadian team sweater.

Toffoli is about the only thing of interest to me from L.A
Trudat! Kovalchuk would only become another overpaid Brouwer or Neal! Toffoli still have some usable years left and right handed. Flames could use some more depth on right handed right wing. Toffoli has better size than Czarnik.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #63
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
Does a release imply that they get cap relief? They have a lot of cap space anyways, so I don't think it will make much of a difference.
But then why would the 35+ rule exist then? If a player retires, just terminate the contract instead and then "retire", with no cap implications?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #64
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
But then why would the 35+ rule exist then? If a player retires, just terminate the contract instead and then "retire", with no cap implications?
I think both parties can agree to Mutually Terminate a contract.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #65
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think both parties can agree to Mutually Terminate a contract.
So the 35+ rule is just nothing then? Exists for no reason?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You completely ignored the meat of his comment: You are assuming without evidence that mutually terminating the contract will get the Kings out from under the cap hit.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #67
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
So the 35+ rule is just nothing then? Exists for no reason?
35 + rule is for retiring players. He is likely just going back to Russia and not formally retiring.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #68
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone suggested it would have no cap implications?

It's a 35+ contract, so the cap hit should count no matter what. I haven't seen anyone suggest otherwise.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a player signs a multi-year contract after he's 35, the Cap Hit will count for the entire length of the contract even if he retires. The Cap Hit will stay with whoever the player belongs to when he retires. In your example, if Marleau was traded to Arizona and then retired with a year left on his contract, Arizona would have the the full Cap Hit for the remaining year.

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/ans...hit-if-retires
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #70
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I was under the impression that the 35+ rule existed for retiring players and buyouts, in which case the full financial measure of the contract remains on the team's cap hit for the initially agreed-upon duration.

I'm not 100% sure if that also applies to contract terminations, seeing as there's not a whole lot of precedent, but I'm pretty sure that the 35+ rule has no explicit exemption as it pertains to terminations.

What might be happening here is the Kings could be working to offload the contract to a cap space-rich team like the Senators after the bonus is paid. Then, both sides would agree to mutually terminate the contract. Kovalchuk would then return to Russia or opt to sign elsewhere in the NHL for a more reasonable salary and term. I believe he would no longer be being paid by the terminating team, but the full balance of the cap hit would remain on their books.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #71
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sounds like the situation is far from being resolved:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194686191611908096

https://twitter.com/user/status/1194686330728529920
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #72
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
35 + rule is for retiring players. He is likely just going back to Russia and not formally retiring.
So no different than Datsyuk, who left in 2016 to play in Russia but had a year remaining on his contract. His contract still hit the cap the next season.

I'm assuming then that this Kovalchuk contract will still count against the cap for this and next season
Old 11-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #73
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I was under the impression that the 35+ rule existed for retiring players and buyouts, in which case the full financial measure of the contract remains on the team's cap hit for the initially agreed-upon duration.

I'm not 100% sure if that also applies to contract terminations, seeing as there's not a whole lot of precedent, but I'm pretty sure that the 35+ rule has no explicit exemption as it pertains to terminations.

What might be happening here is the Kings could be working to offload the contract to a cap space-rich team like the Senators after the bonus is paid. Then, both sides would agree to mutually terminate the contract. Kovalchuk would then return to Russia or opt to sign elsewhere in the NHL for a more reasonable salary and term. I believe he would no longer be being paid by the terminating team, but the full balance of the cap hit would remain on their books.
Yeah, I guess the Sens could agree to do that in exchange for another asset. They could then also buy him out and save some actual cash.

Or maybe that's what LA is negotiating - a non buyout buyout, so to speak. They aren't up against the Cap either and are in a rebuild so unlikely to be in cap jail next year, so maybe it's just a pure cash consideration.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #74
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 5.9 years left on his 15 year deal with NJD
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: