Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #8221
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how the Ducks team that beat the Flames in round one was "beat up" and the Ducks team that beat the Oilers in round two wasn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #8222
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I like how the Ducks team that beat the Flames in round one was "beat up" and the Ducks team that beat the Oilers in round two wasn't.
But of course, it's only logical you recover the more you play..
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #8223
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What does RSN have against the Flames? Why do they have an Oilers fan covering the Flames?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2...algary-flames/

His preview of the Flames isn't terrible but he seems more willing to pick at the Flames issues while he spends the Oilers article gushing about them after a season where every single bounce went their way. Does RSN have Leafs guys doing the Senators preview? It's just silly to have an Oilers guy covering the Flames.
It's soooo dumb. I read title, author, close tab.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #8224
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Naming leads in games? How 1987 of you!

The 7 game Oiler Duck series featured ...

a) Oilers at 43.9% CF%
b) Simple shots for they averaged only 41% through the 7 games
c) 44.6% in scoring chances through the 7 games
d) 45.8% in high danger scoring chances through the 7 games

Those are simple to look up.

The only game in 7 where the Oilers were the more dangerous and effective team was game 3 where you'd have to look at score adjusted since they lost 6-3

Same metrics for the Flames in their 4 game sweep?

a) 51.2% corsi for, with only one game under 50
b) 52.6% of shots for
c) 53.6% of scoring chances for
d) 52.2% of high danger scoring chances for

This isn't hard stuff to look up, I'm not ignoring metrics that don't fit my view. Talbot good. Elliott bad. End of story.
any idea what the fancy stats look like in the Cup final where the Pens only outshot the Preds in 1 game?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #8225
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
"Anything less than the third round in 2018 will be viewed a disappointment."

Prepare to be disappointed Coiler Fans!
Yep, they should be realistic. Now that McD and Dr.D have played for their big money deals watch their motivation, intensity and production drop off.

But to be fair, did for Monahan and Gaudreau too.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #8226
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
disagree
Oilers had a 2-goal lead in 5 of the 7 games, a 1-goal lead in 6 of the 7 games and Anaheim needed a couple OT wins and Kesler holding onto Talbot's pad for dear-life to squeeze past the Oilers...
Come on, you're better than that. Saying crap like this just makes you out to be every bit the koolaid swilling Shelbyvillian that everyone claims you to be.

Quote:
I'll take that "embarrassment" over a 4-game sweep to a banged up Ducks squad missing Fowler, Vatanen and Bieksa any day
Again, be serious for a second. The Flames outplayed the Ducks for much of their series, but got let down by some really bad goaltending. The Flames deserved to lose, because goaltending is an important position, and their guy #### the sheets. Conversely, the Oilers' bacon was completely saved by their goaltender. Talbot was all world against the Ducks and kept Edmonton in a series they looked like they had no right to be in. But that is playoff hockey. A hot goaltender can do a lot of damage, and the Oilers benefited from his outstanding play. The right team still won, but the Oilers deserve credit for their performance in the series.

Quote:
so I guess McDavid, Draisaitl, Strome, Caggulia, Larsson, Klefbom, Benning and Nurse won't get better as they gain experience, especially going to the 2nd round of the playoffs?
they've all peaked now?
One more time, lets be serious about how the Oilers got as far as they did. Cam Talbot was unreal in the post season. He took his all-world performance from the regular season and kicked into a gear no one expected and became an all-universe goaltender. That and some timely scoring from some unexpected sources were the story. No one expected Draisaitl to shoot at a 24% clip in the playoffs. No one expected Letestu to be tied for 2nd for goals scored by an Oiler in the post season. Yeah, let that sink in for a while. The combination of McJesus, Drysaddle, and Letestu scored almost as many goals as the rest of the Oilers team combined.

Oh, and Strome wasn't on the Oilers last season, so that "experience" doesn't mean a hill of beans to him.

Quote:
I think the Oilers are banking on the continued development of the young core that went pretty deep into the playoffs
I would hope that is what they are banking on, because reality is going to hit them in the face pretty hard this season. For the Oilers to repeat last season's performance they will need:

Talbot to play 75 games and equal or exceed his 2.39 GAA and .919 S%.
McJesus to score 100+ points again.
Drysaddle to be a 30 goal, PPG player.
Strome to be have a career year and be a 20 goal, 50 pt player.
Lucic to be a 20 goal, 50 pt "elite" player.
The Tenderness to be an "elite" player.
Maroon to repeat his career year and be a 25-30 goal guy (a 245% increase in previous scoring).
Klefbom to repeat his career year and be a 10-15 goal scorer and a 35-40 point defenseman.
Letestu to repeat his career year and be a 15-20 goal scorer and a 35 point forward.
Sekera to recover from a knee injury and return to immediate form, mid-season.
Kassian to continue to be a NHL player and not self-destruct.
Larsson to be a defensive leader an finish with an astounding +21.
Caggiulla continuing to be a NHL player.
Benning to repeat his surprising season.
And on, and on, and on...

The Oilers had a great year last season, but you really need to look a lot deeper into this team. The Oilers had a lot go right last season. And when I say a lot, I mean almost everything. From career and surprise performances, to a buttery soft schedule, pretty well everything went the Oilers way last year until the bathrooms started backing up in their new arena. Do you seriously think things are going to go the same way again?

The Oilers will go as far as McJesus and Talbot can carry them, but teams will be a little more ready for them this season. It isn't going to be the cakewalk the pundits suggest.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #8227
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
any idea what the fancy stats look like in the Cup final where the Pens only outshot the Preds in 1 game?
a) Oilers at 43.9% CF%
b) Simple shots for they averaged only 41% through the 7 games
c) 44.6% in scoring chances through the 7 games
d) 45.8% in high danger scoring chances through the 7 games

a) Penguins 45% CF%
b) Penguins 46% shots
c) Penguins 47% scoring chances
d) Penguins 53% high danger scoring chances

So up on the Oilers in every category, and especially in high danger where they dominated.

Penguins certainly rely on the top of their roster ... goaltending to stop everything basic, and their big boys up front to bury chances
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #8228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That man is a Treasure.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #8229
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That man is a Treasure.
This is infinitely off topic, even for this thread, but would Neil deGrasse Tyson be a good democratic candidate for president in 2020? Could running on a platform of 'Let's try electing someone who is demonstrably smarter than 99.99% of the population and see what happens' actually work?
Old 08-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #8230
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
This is infinitely off topic, even for this thread, but would Neil deGrasse Tyson be a good democratic candidate for president in 2020? Could running on a platform of 'Let's try electing someone who is demonstrably smarter than 99.99% of the population and see what happens' actually work?
"Just another elite who thinks he's better than 99.99% of us."

There's the Republican rebuttal. Campaign over.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #8231
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
So you are counting on the following to occur again:

1. McDavid to play 25 minutes a night to carry your team during the regular season;
nope, maintain last year's total...stay healthy and I see him hitting 100+ points

Quote:
2. Zero significant injuries;
isn't that every team?
Quote:
3. Draisatl to magically learn to put up points away from McDavid, or to maintain his impossible shooting percentage from the playoffs;
nope....maintain his versatility of playing center and wing

Quote:
4. Someone to magically replace Sekeras minute u til January;
January? maybe worst case scenario...November probably best case
but yeah, Benning or Nurse is gonna get elevated minutes for the first 25 games

Quote:
5. Talbot to channel Brodeur again and play 75 elite games covering up a defence that gave up way too many danger area scoring chances;
nope....Talbot simply maintaining his save% and allowing Broissoit more starts...hope 15 games for Broissoit
the good thing is Talbot....like Kipper...is a workhorse

Quote:
6. Maroon to triple his average goals again;
he's probably due for a down year...hopefully the collection of an RNH bounce-back season, McDavid scoring more goals, Caggulia to continue developing will cover some of the "lost" goals

Quote:
7. Strome to suddenly pull it all together and replace Eberles goals;
Strome had 7 less goals in 12 less games than Eberle and was on pace for 5 less goal per 82 games
he doesn't need to improve that dramatically

Quote:
8. A butter soft schedule.
no back-to-backs until mid-November with a home heavy schedule to start is pretty soft

Quote:
The Flames are clearly crazy thinking our significantly improved defence (pre stone last year) and potentially getting decent goaltending will improve our team...and maybe our best two forwards not battling injuries for parts of the year. Man, we are nuts.
Flames need to significantly improve their regulation record since they were the only team to make the playoffs with a below .500 record
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #8232
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
One more time, lets be serious about how the Oilers got as far as they did. Cam Talbot was unreal in the post season. He took his all-world performance from the regular season and kicked into a gear no one expected and became an all-universe goaltender. That and some timely scoring from some unexpected sources were the story. No one expected Draisaitl to shoot at a 24% clip in the playoffs. No one expected Letestu to be tied for 2nd for goals scored by an Oiler in the post season. Yeah, let that sink in for a while. The combination of McJesus, Drysaddle, and Letestu scored almost as many goals as the rest of the Oilers team combined.
...and no one expect RNH, Eberle and Pouliot to score a combined 0 goals in the playoffs
no one expected Jake Guetzel to lead the Pens in playoff scoring but he did

not sure what your point is

Quote:
The Oilers had a great year last season, but you really need to look a lot deeper into this team. The Oilers had a lot go right last season. And when I say a lot, I mean almost everything. From career and surprise performances, to a buttery soft schedule, pretty well everything went the Oilers way last year until the bathrooms started backing up in their new arena. Do you seriously think things are going to go the same way again?
people keep saying this but who had the career season? Maroon? Talbot? who?

Quote:
The Oilers will go as far as McJesus and Talbot can carry them, but teams will be a little more ready for them this season. It isn't going to be the cakewalk the pundits suggest.
every team in the league will only go as far as their best players take them...this isn't exclusively an Oiler thing
Old 08-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #8233
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I'd vote for him.

I dont care how smart he is, he seems genuine and thats more important.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #8234
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...and no one expect RNH, Eberle and Pouliot to score a combined 0 goals in the playoffs
Really? That was my expectation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #8235
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...people keep saying this but who had the career season? Maroon? Talbot? who?
McDavid? Draisaitl? Klefbom? Letestu?

Sekera, Kassian, and Larson did not have career years, but they each experienced a substantial improvement on their last seasons and career average production.

While McDavid is certainly capable of 100 points once again, this number has become such a rarity that I don't believe it is a given that he will hit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #8236
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames need to significantly improve their regulation record since they were the only team to make the playoffs with a below .500 record
Thanks for the advice.
You are clearly a genius when it comes to hockey.

Guys...did you know that if we win more games we'll have a better record?
I never would have thought that!

Thanks Tips!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #8237
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no one expected Jake Guetzel to lead the Pens in playoff scoring but he did

not sure what your point is

Wow, it's almost like with a small enough sample size, any player can drastically improve their numbers and carry a line on their own.

On an unrelated note, how much is Draisaitl signed for? I can't seem to recall.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #8238
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
...and no one expect RNH, Eberle and Pouliot to score a combined 0 goals in the playoffs...
For the record, this is exactly what I expected to occur.

Quote:
...every team in the league will only go as far as their best players take them...this isn't exclusively an Oiler thing
No, but what IS "an Oiler thing" is expecting an improved result regardless of what happens, and failing to account for the contributing factors of prior success that are almost certain to not re-occur.

It will be delicious to watch the Flames mangle the Oilers this year, and I look forward to your whiney excuses when this paper tiger with no depth team is unceremoniously trounced out of the playoffs.

Edmonton is no good, and neither are your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #8239
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I guess he dropped the Duck series argument then?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 11:37 AM   #8240
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

These guys are like Highlander. One was slayed yesterday using ridiculous fantasy arguments so another has to pick up the mantle today. Which nondescript Oiler based username will embarrass themselves tomorrow.
Closed Thread