Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #101
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
To be honest - I don't think we need to go wild with penalties for most of these people. There are some - who yes should see some penalities.

That said - we've saw in Windsor just the threat of action clears out a bunch of these people. There are a lot who will just clear out if you threaten something like this.
Sure we do, they should have done it from the start instead of "negotiating". As soon as your creating blockades and affecting trade like the Windsor bridge there should be immediate action. I have no problem with protesting and think that's perfectly fine as long as you're not creating blockades.

Pretty strong inditement on our goverment when you contrast this to how they handle indigenous protests. You can guarantee if it was first nations protesting in this fashion they'd put an end to it right quick. Quite the double standard when it's a bunch of right wing idiots though.

Protesting and exercising your rights to free speech and expression - perfectly fine. Creating blockades and impeding trade that negatively effects the economy for the rest of us - absolutely not and that should have consequences for those partaking.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 08:26 AM   #102
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

That would be a massively dumb move and more than likely political suicide.

They already have whatever legal power they need to clear them out. If they are not going to call in the military or actually get a proper plan with the police in place, all the 'oh gonna invoke new big bad law' is pointless.

I think we are literally witnessing the biggest breakdown of domestic government in modern history. For sure relating to the border blockades.

As someone who thinks Trudeau is a moron of epic proportions, this is both fascinating & sad to watch.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #103
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has told his caucus he will invoke the never-before-used Emergencies Act to give the federal government extra powers to handle the protests across the country, according to sources.

Those sources, who were not authorized to speak publicly, said the prime minister will inform the premiers of his decision later today.

In a meeting with the Liberal caucus Monday morning, Trudeau said there were no plans to deploy the military, the sources said.

The legislation, which replaced the War Measures Act, defines a national emergency as a temporary "urgent and critical situation" that "seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it."
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 02-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #104
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
Sure we do, they should have done it from the start instead of "negotiating". As soon as your creating blockades and affecting trade like the Windsor bridge there should be immediate action. I have no problem with protesting and think that's perfectly fine as long as you're not creating blockades.

Pretty strong inditement on our goverment when you contrast this to how they handle indigenous protests. You can guarantee if it was first nations protesting in this fashion they'd put an end to it right quick. Quite the double standard when it's a bunch of right wing idiots though.

Protesting and exercising your rights to free speech and expression - perfectly fine. Creating blockades and impeding trade that negatively effects the economy for the rest of us - absolutely not and that should have consequences for those partaking.
Yup.

In reference to the border blockades, they literally just need to clear the blockades and keep traffic flowing. That can't be that hard.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:33 AM   #105
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
That would be a massively dumb move and more than likely political suicide.

They already have whatever legal power they need to clear them out. If they are not going to call in the military or actually get a proper plan with the police in place, all the 'oh gonna invoke new big bad law' is pointless.

I think we are literally witnessing the biggest breakdown of domestic government in modern history. For sure relating to the border blockades.

As someone who thinks Trudeau is a moron of epic proportions, this is both fascinating & sad to watch.
Why do you think that?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #106
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Why do you think that?
Which part? Read the definition of the Emergency Act. It doesn't even necessarily apply to the protests in Ottawa. Not to the level of where you should be actually invoking it. Without using the military to actually physically clear out the protests, how exactly will the federal government do anything? Make a big ruh rah to the media about how the protestors are tearing the country apart and they should all be put in the gulag?

As for the border blockades, they already have all the legal power & policing resources to clear them, but for whatever reason the government wasn't acting. With the Windsor blockade went, I guess it was the Ontario Police.

Its all a big let me show you what I'm going to do now without actually doing anything. Has been from the start.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:47 AM   #107
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching CBC News. Ambassador Bridge is finally open to traffic today. Just the auto industry alone suffered approx. $1 billion dollars in lost revenue due to the blockade. The overall tally including other businesses and industries isn't in yet.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:52 AM   #108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which part? Read the definition of the Emergency Act. It doesn't even necessarily apply to the protests in Ottawa. Not to the level of where you should be actually invoking it. Without using the military to actually physically clear out the protests, how exactly will the federal government do anything? Make a big ruh rah to the media about how the protestors are tearing the country apart and they should all be put in the gulag?

As for the border blockades, they already have all the legal power & policing resources to clear them, but for whatever reason the government wasn't acting. With the Windsor blockade went, I guess it was the Ontario Police.

Its all a big let me show you what I'm going to do now without actually doing anything. Has been from the start.
Uhm, ok I will...

Quote:
8 (1) While a declaration of a public welfare emergency is in effect, the Governor in Council may make such orders or regulations with respect to the following matters as the Governor in Council believes, on reasonable grounds, are necessary for dealing with the emergency:
  • (a) the regulation or prohibition of travel to, from or within any specified area, where necessary for the protection of the health or safety of individuals;
  • (b) the evacuation of persons and the removal of personal property from any specified area and the making of arrangements for the adequate care and protection of the persons and property;
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/....5/page-1.html

Not going to read further, but those 2 seem entirely applicable and useful.

Last edited by Fuzz; 02-14-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #109
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

From what I understand,

The military really can't be used for police actions. Nor should it.

They can support the police with logistics and transportation and such, but they are not allowed to arrest anyone not in the military.

Really have no idea what the invoking of the emergencies act is supposed to do here, i guess we will get details later, but the last guy to use it (it replaced the War measures act) was papa T in relation to the FLQ crisis when actual real domestic terrorists were kidnapping and killing members of government.

This is not that.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:07 AM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/DuaneBratt/statu...51874643800067

Of course Kenney is against it. It's not like he doesn't have his own laws he's not using to take care of his potential supporters at the border. Guy is a political coward fearing for his job, that's it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #111
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493094828531462146

Total from Canada $4.31M
Total from US. $3.62M

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #112
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/DuaneBratt/statu...51874643800067

Of course Kenney is against it. It's not like he doesn't have his own laws he's not using to take care of his potential supporters at the border. Guy is a political coward fearing for his job, that's it.
His priorities of course are worrying about the CBC

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493179057076273152
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #113
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
From what I understand,

The military really can't be used for police actions. Nor should it.

They can support the police with logistics and transportation and such, but they are not allowed to arrest anyone not in the military.

Really have no idea what the invoking of the emergencies act is supposed to do here, i guess we will get details later, but the last guy to use it (it replaced the War measures act) was papa T in relation to the FLQ crisis when actual real domestic terrorists were kidnapping and killing members of government.

This is not that.
I have a memory of the military being used at the Oka crisis in the 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oka_Crisis
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #114
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where can I get a copy of this donor list? I’d like to be able to look up prospective clients so I don’t end up working for any of these degenerates.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Where can I get a copy of this donor list? I’d like to be able to look up prospective clients so I don’t end up working for any of these degenerates.
It got taken down, but you can use the Internet Archive to find it. Here ya go:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220214..._donations.zip

I ran a quick vlookup to see if anyone in my email list was on it. All clear, my friends aren't idiots!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #116
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493261339250376709

Guy discovers actions have consequences, goes begging for money.

Oh, and his name isn't int he givesend donor list. Not saying he's lying, he could have only donated to the gofundme, but...
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #117
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To me it puts the onus on the federal government to take control of this and eliminates the 'who's responsible' questions that provinces and the federal government have used to do nothing.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #118
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1493261339250376709

Guy discovers actions have consequences, goes begging for money.

Oh, and his name isn't int he givesend donor list. Not saying he's lying, he could have only donated to the gofundme, but...
Only the best people (from 2019):

Quote:
As a result of the investigation officers seized:
  • 32 packages of suspected cannabis (approximately 1700 grams - with packaging)
  • 2 half empty bottles of alcohol
  • 25.8 grams of suspected cocaine (with bag)
  • a number of cell phones
  • 3 bottles containing suspected codeine
  • 110 suspected Ecstacy pills
  • a quantity of Canadian currency
Daniel Esliger, 20, of Windsor, is facing numerous charges including driving while suspended, driving with unsealed container of liquor, and numerous charges related to drug possession for the purpose of trafficking / distributing.
https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/downtown-...rges-1.4480489
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #119
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Where is the 54% number coming from? Just yesterday there was a poll saying 46% sympathize with the convoy, but a much smaller number supported their tactics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
30% of people believe in astrology.

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:19 AM   #120
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1493219897089957895