Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2024, 07:55 PM   #41
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames don't have any dead cap. Anything they retain on Tanev or Hanifin is this season only. New Jersey intrigues me, some good potential there if retaining $1 or $2 million gets you a great return the retention will not hurt too much.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:58 PM   #42
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I think this is a really bad idea. I’d like for Markstrom to stay here the entire time. Or at least another year or two before a potential buyout. I’m not comfortable having Vladar teach Wolf the ropes, nor do I feel comfortable running 1A/1B with that combo. Markstrom, another story. I think it’s better for Wolfs trajectory if Markstrom stayed.

Edit: tldr: maximize value on Hanifin/Tanev, call it a day.
You can always bring one of Quick, Talbot, or Fleury in the off-season to teach Wolf the ropes.

Quick seems like the perfect guy, because he plays a similar style.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #43
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Complete guess, but if New Jersey wants to bring in Markstrom without moving out salary, with the savings from Foote/McLeod and Dawes going down, they are still about 2M short. So they are probably asking for Markstrom -2M for Holtz, but for 6M in cap savings over three years, Conroy wants the 1st, too.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #44
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I would prefer Markstrom stay, it might be the best thing to help Wolf move from 2, to 1B, to 1A role by the time Markstrom's contract is complete.

Teams are built from the net out. Let's have Wolf work in tandem with of the league's best and get comfortable with a patient 'pass the torch' process and do this right.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 08:01 PM   #45
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I would prefer Markstrom stay, it might be the best thing to help Wolf move from 2, to 1B, to 1A role by the time Markstrom's contract is complete.

Teams are built from the net out. Let's have Wolf work in tandem with of the league's best and get comfortable with a patient 'pass the torch' process and do this right.
I don’t see a down side to keeping or trading him, unless they take the highest bid just because. I imagine the flames price is significant, and they have no real urgency to move off of it, as Markstrom is also very beneficial to the club for the reasons you mentioned.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 08:02 PM   #46
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone acting like Murray doesnt like retention but ignore the fact we have paid basically every Flames coach in the last 15 years to not coach for us.

Clearly he doesnt have an issue with retention.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 08:02 PM   #47
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
You can always bring one of Quick, Talbot, or Fleury in the off-season to teach Wolf the ropes.

Quick seems like the perfect guy, because he plays a similar style.
Spoiler!

Spoiler for big photo.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:03 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Of course its going to be salary retention being the hanging point. The Flames have retained on a single player in a trade, and that was a few hundred thousand dollars. You're talking about multiple millions for a player that is plying his trade elsewhere. Not Edward's style. That is going to take some major convincing and I'm not sure Conroy will be able to convince Edwards to accept those terms. Amount retained on the UFAs he's traded so far? Zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Everyone acting like Murray doesnt like retention but ignore the fact we have paid basically every Flames coach in the last 15 years to not coach for us.

People blame Edwards for everything lol
Old 02-10-2024, 08:05 PM   #49
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Just like Bettman at the league level. If something happens they don't like, it's because Bettman made it happen. If something happens they do like, it's because someone defied Bettman to make it happen.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:10 PM   #50
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I don't know about that one. Here are the cup winners in the last 10 years: Hill, Kuemper, Vasilevskiy x 2, Binnington, Holtby, Murray x 2, Quick, Crawford.

Quick and Vasilevskiy stand out, but the rest were average goalies IMO.

Last edited by gvitaly; 02-10-2024 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:11 PM   #51
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping we keep Markstrom as long as we can.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 PM   #52
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t see many trades where a 34 year old goalie will bring in a 22 year old center who already had a 56pt season along with a potential 1st (likely 2nd).

How is Mercer a spare part?
Calgary needs star players, they don't need more meddling 2nd/3rd players. They need draft capital and to start swing for the fences on players that have star potential, if they miss, so be it. The last thing that they need is to come out of this rebuild, 3-4 years later without star players.

If Hughes, Nemec is off limits, then this year's first round pick has to be in play, Mercer is not going to turn this organization into a contender
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 PM   #53
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler for big photo.
How did you dig that old gem up? That would be quite the reunion.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM   #54
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Only those who’ve actually worked for Edwards
Ha ha
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM   #55
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
Flames don't have any dead cap. Anything they retain on Tanev or Hanifin is this season only. New Jersey intrigues me, some good potential there if retaining $1 or $2 million gets you a great return the retention will not hurt too much.
I hope they go minimum $2 million, preferably $3M. If you expect a good return make Markstrom as valuable as possible. Even take Vanecek back if it helps
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #56
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nothing against Markstrom, but seems like everyone is in the moment. After a 3 game losing streak, everyone will be voicing their displeasure for not having dealt Markstrom. Next season, if Markstrom looks average, people will be mad we didn’t sell at his peak. Feels like the stock market.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #57
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of a funny report. They have had legit conversations, but the only thing holding it back are the actual things required to complete a trade.

Hopefully the report at least causes other teams to make a play for him and maybe cause a bit of a bidding war.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:15 PM   #58
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post

They also forget that the Flames nearly took on Cam Ward’s $6M contract in a pure cap dump for a pick when Treliving first arrived here.

…or the Troy Brouwer buy out. Or the Michael Stone buy out, who they then re-signed.

Or that “he wouldn’t pay for a coach” and then literally approved the firing of the most expensive coach in franchise history before his new extension even kicked in.

I’ll be critical of Murray for his short term thinking, but never for being cheap when it comes to stuff like this.

The fact is that $6M in retention carries a value of a 1st round pick, generally speaking. So say NJD was after 50% retention, that’s a 1st round pick just for the retention - forget the acquisition cost on top of it.

Tough deal to make, but damn does it fit Conroy’s plan. We have Wolf and Vladar, and his entire approach has been to clear veterans and give youth a chance. Trading Markstrom for a good haul would be well within his “vision” for how he’s restructuring this team.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-10-2024 at 08:18 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 08:16 PM   #59
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's kind of a funny report. They have had legit conversations, but the only thing holding it back are the actual things required to complete a trade.

Hopefully the report at least causes other teams to make a play for him and maybe cause a bit of a bidding war.
I know, I laughed at that too. If nothing was "holding back" a trade, it would be completed.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:21 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Calgary needs star players, they don't need more meddling 2nd/3rd players. They need draft capital and to start swing for the fences on players that have star potential, if they miss, so be it. The last thing that they need is to come out of this rebuild, 3-4 years later without star players.

If Hughes, Nemec is off limits, then this year's first round pick has to be in play, Mercer is not going to turn this organization into a contender
Mercer is the same age as Zary the upside is there. In many cases several very solid young assets can be combined to land a superstar via trade. 34vyear old Markstrom who is having a great year returning a 22 year old center in his 3rd year and a decent pick is great.

Last summer we couldn’t give Markstrom away so lets not forget he doesn’t have a perfect resume himself
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: