Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2024, 04:27 PM   #5961
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unsuccessful assassination attempt on Itamar Ben-Gvir.

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/article-795323

Quote:
The Shin Bet security agency announced Thursday that it had foiled plans by a cell of Arab Israelis and West Bank Palestinians to carry out terror attacks in Israel and the West Bank, including assassinating National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir.

Seven Arab Israelis and four West Bank Palestinians were arrested in connection with the plot, the agency said.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 05:27 PM   #5962
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I literally quoted a reporter.
And didn’t bother to understand the context of the quote… at all, before asking questions that were already answered and jumping to conclusions that were completely without basis.

You pretend to be better than this.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:28 PM   #5963
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ok, now rationalize the other 30 000+ killings.
This is exactly it. There's so much tragedy there already. Yet, no numerous times, specific incidents have become the focus of various posters. This is like the PIJ rocket into the hospital all over again.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 06:24 PM   #5964
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This is exactly it. There's so much tragedy there already. Yet, no numerous times, specific incidents have become the focus of various posters. This is like the PIJ rocket into the hospital all over again.
And media, and aid organizations, and world leaders…

You’re putting less effort into “cracking” this mystery than the mystery you invented about the WCK militants.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 10:23 AM   #5965
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...cials-believe/

Israel has risked an all out war with their strike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus.

Of course if and when Iran strikes back Israel will play the victim.

This is very bad news for the region and I hope it can come to a peaceful resolution.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:30 AM   #5966
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

Israel has risked an all out war with their strike on the Iranian consulate in Damascus.

This is very bad news for the region and I hope it can come to a peaceful resolution.
Iran deserves everything it has going against it. Good riddance. Iran is the main destabilizer in the region and it’s about time they were finally fed their medicine while their attacks using third-party proxies always went unanswered.

Iran’s constant use of the Houthi’s against international trade goes unanswered, multiple bombings on US bases with little to no response, directing Hezbollah, the list goes on. It was a matter of time until Iran was directly attacked.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 04-07-2024 at 11:36 AM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TherapyforGlencross For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 03:55 PM   #5967
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I read that Israel's attack on the consulate was the first time another country purposely attacked another country's consulate, which is normally considered off limits by nations during wars. Not sure if this is accurate though.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #5968
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I read that Israel's attack on the consulate was the first time another country purposely attacked another country's consulate, which is normally considered off limits by nations during wars. Not sure if this is accurate though.
Not sure if there were any deaths but just 2 days ago Ecuadorian police and military forces attacked the Mexican embassy in Ecuador.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:01 PM   #5969
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
Iran deserves everything it has going against it. Good riddance. Iran is the main destabilizer in the region and it’s about time they were finally fed their medicine while their attacks using third-party proxies always went unanswered.

Iran’s constant use of the Houthi’s against international trade goes unanswered, multiple bombings on US bases with little to no response, directing Hezbollah, the list goes on. It was a matter of time until Iran was directly attacked.
I don't think there is a good guy/bad guy in that conflict. Both are terrorist supporting countries. Israel is evil and so is Iran.

U.S bases have no business in the middle east so really don't care if they get hit.

I don't see how anyone can be thrilled with Israel attacking Iran as that likely means an all out war in the middle east and with Iran having the capability of nukes it will likely not end well for anyone involved.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:14 PM   #5970
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iran will do little, they are utterly broke with massive internal issues, they are facing a nascent civil war within their borders with the Kurds and what weapons they make are worth more to them sold to Russia for the foreign currency they desperately need, their proxies will lob a few more rockets but nothing more, they have to keep supplying the Houthis and Hezbollah who face massive issues in Syria and Lebanon

This crisis came at about the worse possible time for Iran, they have barely suppressed a counter revolution at home and their proxies are fighting both Turkey Saudi and ISIS and are stretched to the limit
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:30 PM   #5971
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A broke government is an even more dangerous one imo. Making a nuke isn't expensive and they have the capability. They know it would be the end of them but they may just be that stupid.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:40 PM   #5972
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A broke government is an even more dangerous one imo. Making a nuke isn't expensive and they have the capability. They know it would be the end of them but they may just be that stupid.
I would agree if they are faced with an existential threat but they aren't, mind you I suspect Netanyahu would love to start a war in Lebanon if he could, he has been forced to back down in Gaza and is desperate to find someone else to attack, but Iran will do what they have throughout, talk a lot of smack on twitter while doing the square root of FA
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 12:19 AM   #5973
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I would agree if they are faced with an existential threat but they aren't, mind you I suspect Netanyahu would love to start a war in Lebanon if he could, he has been forced to back down in Gaza and is desperate to find someone else to attack, but Iran will do what they have throughout, talk a lot of smack on twitter while doing the square root of FA
Iran is a very interesting and complicated society. It's a modern country with some of the best science research facilities in the world, but they also still execute people for practicing witchcraft. It's messed up. At the highest levels of their government structure, they are extremely anti-Israel. They make no ambiguous claims. They straight up say that destroying Israel is their objective.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...as-iran-views/

At the street level though, it is a lot more mixed. Many people question what good it does for them. Many also avoid stepping on the Israeli flags they have painted on the ground in public. At a soccer game just after October 7th, an Iranian politician tried to raise a Palestinian flag, and the Iranian fans almost rioted over it and told him to stick the flag up his ass. Even some Iranian politicians lately have started calling out the leaders about their racist policies.

It's funny, because most of the left in the west (not all, but most) are Hamas apologists, but in Iran, the left tends to support Israel and wants their government to stop supporting Palestinians and start working with Israel.

Also, from my own experience when I talk to diaspora Iranians in the West, they also see their government policy against Israel as purposely provocative to entice Israel to attack Palestinians and hopefully escalate it to a larger war that destroys Israel. They use the Palestinians as tool to invoke their foreign policy.

For full disclosure, I don't like the way Israel is fighting this war. Way too messy and should have been more surgical IMO. I knew right after the terrorist attack, that it would get really bad. Israel doesn't hold back. I was worried about that at the time, and it has played out that way unfortunately.

One of 2 things has to happen here. Either Hamas is completely destroyed, or Iran stops supporting these groups, and they can start working toward statehood instead of spending all their money on trying to murder Jews with rockets. The constitution of Gaza doesn't allow any positive movement for any of the parties, and Iran arming them doesn't help.

I really just don't think Israel is the problem as much as Iran and their proxies are. If they were off the board, I don't think any of this would be happening. Palestinians would probably already have a state, possibly even with economic support from Israel.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-08-2024 at 09:36 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 09:33 PM   #5974
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Interesting development on the IDF killings of aid workers:

“Top IDF commander in aid strike wanted to block humanitarian supplies into Gaza”

Quote:
The most senior IDF commander dismissed for his role in the drone strike which killed seven aid workers in Gaza is a settler who signed an open letter in January calling for the territory to be deprived of aid, The Telegraph can reveal.

A senior British lawyer said its contents – including a call for a “siege” of Gaza City – should be considered by the Israeli authorities investigating the killings.

Col (Res) Nochi Mandel, the chief of staff of the Nahal Infantry Brigade, was one of two officers dismissed last week following the incident in which three vehicles belonging to the charity World Central Kitchen (WCK) were attacked by drones, killing all those inside, including three Britons.

In the letter, Col Mandel, a religious nationalist who lives in a settlement in the occupied West Bank, called with more than 130 other reserve officers and commanders for the flow of aid into Gaza to be restricted.

The letter was sent on January 20 to the Israeli War Cabinet and the IDF chief of staff and implored them to “do everything in your power” not to allow “humanitarian supplies and the operation of hospitals inside Gaza City” following its evacuation.

“I think it’s inconceivable that the IDF wasn’t aware that the three vehicles were being driven by the WCK aid workers,” said Charlie Herbert, a former major general in the British Army who served in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“I cannot comprehend how they could have mistaken them for anything else, and if there was uncertainty, the strike shouldn’t have gone ahead.”

The alleged failure to realise the cars belonged to WCK is perplexing for a number of reasons but mainly because the entire WCK operation had been approved in advance by the IDF and had been tracked for hours, almost certainly days, by the IDF and its drones.

The IDF said the vehicle’s roof markings were not visible to its drones at night. But the drones had tracked the WCK aid convoy from the beach, where the supplies had been landed on a pier built a few weeks before under the glare of world media attention.

The trucks were then tracked all the way to WCKs warehouse in Deir al Balah (“Warehouse A” on the map below), according to the IDF. The same journey had been made the previous day and several times before. Each journey was approved by and closely monitored by the IDF.

“The IDF has acknowledged that our teams followed all proper communications procedures”, said WCK in a statement. “The IDF’s own video fails to show any cause to fire on our personnel convoy, which carried no weapons and posed no threat”.

On the day of the strikes, it was Col Mandel’s Nahal Infantry Brigade that was embedded on the ground in the area and was tracking the convoy. IDF protocol demands that one or more of its officers would have been in live radio contact with the teams flying the drones above.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...ntral-kitchen/
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 09:00 AM   #5975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Iran's Revolutionary Guards seized an Israeli-linked cargo ship in the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday, days after Tehran said it could close the crucial shipping route and warned it would retaliate for an Israeli strike on its Syria consulate.

Iran's state-run IRNA news agency reported that a Guards helicopter had boarded and taken into Iranian waters the Portuguese-flagged MSC Aries, saying it was linked to Israel.
Quote:
The incident comes amid rising regional tensions since the start of Israel's campaign in Gaza in October, with Israel or its ally the United States clashing repeatedly with Iranian-aligned groups in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

Iran has threatened to retaliate for suspected Israeli airstrikes on its consulate in Syria's capital Damascus on April 1 that it said killed seven Revolutionary Guards officers including two senior commanders.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-c...173115?cmp=rss

Looks like we are on our way to full open war between Israel and Iran. Not cool, as both sides have shown to be on ideological war paths. Can anyone de-escalate at this point, and how long before Israel decides a nuke is the answer?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 10:54 AM   #5976
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think its quite obvious that the US is pulling out all it stops to deter Iran from retaliating against Israel directly.

Which is interesting because if they don't retaliate they look & are weak.
If they do, they likely get sent back to the stone age.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:33 PM   #5977
robertsfan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Iran has a right to defend itself.

I don’t think Iran will do anything directly. Israel is losing support throughout the world and is no longer looking like the meek David under threat of being obliterated by its neighbors- but the hairy brute Goliath it really is. Any direct attack by Iran changes all that.

Support within Israel is also dwindling- the protests in Tel Aviv, the growing “refusnik” movement and calls for Bibbi’s resignation. There is also a growing budget deficit, with the cost of Israel’s current genocidal campaign, the Red Sea blockade (as minimized at it is made out to be), and the attacks on Israel’s ports. Sooner or later the financial support from its Trust Fund daddy will also have to slow down.

Blowhard Bibbi and Israel have been trying to get the US to have a war with Iran for years, with neo-cons like Paul wolfowitz leading the way and trying to influence the Bush administration.

I think the genocide supporters really want a war with Iran as well but don’t realize how close we are to WW3.

But hey, let’s stop talking about the genocide in Gaza
robertsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:43 PM   #5978
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfan View Post
iran has a right to defend itself.

i don’t think iran will do anything directly. israel is losing support throughout the world and is no longer looking like the meek david under threat of being obliterated by its neighbors- but the hairy brute goliath it really is. Any direct attack by iran changes all that.

Support within israel is also dwindling- the protests in tel aviv, the growing “refusnik” movement and calls for bibbi’s resignation. There is also a growing budget deficit, with the cost of israel’s current genocidal campaign, the red sea blockade (as minimized at it is made out to be), and the attacks on israel’s ports. Sooner or later the financial support from its trust fund daddy will also have to slow down.

Blowhard bibbi and israel have been trying to get the us to have a war with iran for years, with neo-cons like paul wolfowitz leading the way and trying to influence the bush administration.

I think the genocide supporters really want a war with iran as well but don’t realize how close we are to ww3.

But hey, let’s stop talking about the genocide in gaza
https://twitter.com/user/status/1779232573979246865
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #5979
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-c...173115?cmp=rss

Looks like we are on our way to full open war between Israel and Iran. Not cool, as both sides have shown to be on ideological war paths. Can anyone de-escalate at this point, and how long before Israel decides a nuke is the answer?
It's scary, and official comments from the WH were interesting, saying that they are expecting retaliation after Israel hit Iran's embassy, but at the same time, that they are expecting that whatever those attacks end up being, that it wouldn't draw the US into a war. You could read that as they don't expect anything significant, or you could read that as the US isn't keen on supporting Israel after they bombed another country's embassy.

I mentioned earlier, it's unprecedented for a country to randomly bomb another's embassy, which are universally treated as off-limits. But here we are today with Israel's government.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, April 11 (Reuters) - The United States expects an attack by Iran against Israel but one that would not be big enough to draw Washington into war, a U.S. official said late on Thursday.

The White House said earlier#Washington did not want conflict, opens new tab#to spread in the Middle East and the U.S. had told Iran it was not involved in an air strike against a top Iranian military commander in Damascus.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...el-2024-04-11/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:07 PM   #5980
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Reports declaring that Iran has launched UAV’s into Israel, currently on their way.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote