Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #1361
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea with the addition of Hamonic and Stone as a #5, the difference in D is night and day without Wideman and a revolving door on the bottom pairing.

Pretty silly to even look at previous statistics when considering the upcoming season. It's a completely different d-core / dynamic on the back end.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #1362
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Yea with the addition of Hamonic and Stone as a #5, the difference in D is night and day without Wideman and a revolving door on the bottom pairing.

Pretty silly to even look at previous statistics when considering the upcoming season. It's a completely different d-core / dynamic on the back end.
Anybody else find themselves occasionally forgetting we landed Hamonic?

It's like an exciting surprise each time!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #1363
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Anybody else find themselves occasionally forgetting we landed Hamonic?

It's like an exciting surprise each time!
It seems we are all having a little too much fermented crab meat then.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #1364
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
It seems we are all having a little too much fermented crab meat then.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jemjey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #1365
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
If you actually divide his season in half:
In the first half of the season (28 games up to Jan 21) Mike Smith had a .915 sv%
In the second half of the season (27 games up to Apr 8) Mike Smith had a .913 sv%

As for:

Up to Jan 21, the team was 14-26-6 (while Smith was healthy, 9-17-5). After that, they were 16-16-4. Hardly a team giving up.
Much better research than me for sure. I still take the mental aspect of your season being over early into account though. In the dog days of the season, it can't be easy getting up for games knowing that your season is already over. Mike Smith should feel plenty motivated from the start to the end of the season and if we can get the .920 Mike Smith, I think he'll surprise a lot of people.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #1366
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have gotten far too hyped about new goalies joining the team only to be let down/disappointed. Although there are a few arguments that suggest Smith will have better numbers with the Flames, I am actually expecting similar to worse stats. I suppose mentally I am preparing myself to be let down once again.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #1367
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I have gotten far too hyped about new goalies joining the team only to be let down/disappointed. Although there are a few arguments that suggest Smith will have better numbers with the Flames, I am actually expecting similar to worse stats. I suppose mentally I am preparing myself to be let down once again.
Interesting. Is this an insulating tactic for the self-protection of your own expectations, or is there a more concrete reason for expecting poorer returns from Smith than merely on the basis that it has happened before on this team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #1368
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Interesting. Is this an insulating tactic for the self-protection of your own expectations, or is there a more concrete reason for expecting poorer returns from Smith than merely on the basis that it has happened before on this team?
More the former really. I worry that because of Smith's age there could be a deterioration in his ability, although goalies tend not to have such a dramatic drop as say an aging forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #1369
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't a fan of getting Elliot and I wasn't too crazy about the Flames getting Smith either but I do have a lot more faith in him. Elliot was someone who people thought could turn into a good goalie but Smith is a good goalie and people are wondering if he can keep it up. We already know what Smith is capable of and if he just plays the way he always has, it'll be good enough for the Flames. We don't need to "gamble" on a goalie coming to the Flames and improving, we just need Smith to come in and not be terribad.

I'm not really expecting anything groundbreaking from Smith but I think he can stay in the top third of the league. I think his play may drop a slight bit but the team in front of him will be a lot better so it kind of evens out.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #1370
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

How Smith will perform is impossible to predict... I have tempered expectations though, because I was excited when we signed Elliott. I am excited to have a puck moving goalie, that will be an interesting dynamic and could really change the way this team plays.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #1371
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
How Smith will perform is impossible to predict... I have tempered expectations though, because I was excited when we signed Elliott. I am excited to have a puck moving goalie, that will be an interesting dynamic and could really change the way this team plays.
I agree with both comments. His puck moving capabilities is something this team hasn't had in a long time (who would have been the last goalie with that skill set?). There will be times where Smith makes a mistake and it ends up in the back of the net but you have to take the bad with the good.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #1372
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I wasn't a fan of getting Elliot and I wasn't too crazy about the Flames getting Smith either but I do have a lot more faith in him. Elliot was someone who people thought could turn into a good goalie but Smith is a good goalie and people are wondering if he can keep it up. We already know what Smith is capable of and if he just plays the way he always has, it'll be good enough for the Flames. We don't need to "gamble" on a goalie coming to the Flames and improving, we just need Smith to come in and not be terribad.

I'm not really expecting anything groundbreaking from Smith but I think he can stay in the top third of the league. I think his play may drop a slight bit but the team in front of him will be a lot better so it kind of evens out.
agree with the bolded. I am also pretty negative on the goalie outlook given the history we've had, but we aren't expecting a goalie to come in and now be something he hasn't ever been.

Elliott came in with all kinds of question marks on whether he had the consistency and sustainability to be 'the guy'. He proved, to me at least, that he is exactly a goalie who, can play great for a stretch of time but not someone you can lean on to be consistent and there when you need him most.

With Smith, you just hope he can bring the game he has in past years. The question is only whether his game degrades due to age (though goalies seem to be able to play longer?) or if his recent injury issues continue to be a theme.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #1373
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If anything playing in front of the Flames defense is bad for goaltenders stats relative to where they played previously. Maybe Hamonic can bring some defensive stability but while a very good overall group of defensemen with good skating, skill and puck movement it's nowhere close to being an air-tight defensive back end. I would expect Smith to be in the area of .915 at best but that's probably good enough for this team.
You realize you are comparing the Blues/Ducks defence to the Yotes right? Smith is certainly playing in front of a better team than his last. Our previous two starters came from higher echelon teams not a bottom feeder like Smith. Also, the Flames D has had a Major upgrade over game one last season.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #1374
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith was super frustrating to play against even last season for us.

Hopefully he can keep that up now that he's on our side, as well as his stellar play against the Coilers.

Winning a game in the Honda Center would be a nice bonus too.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 AM   #1375
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only way to be excited about our goaltender is with homer glasses on.

IMO a wicked offence is going to be the way forward until one of the Flames goalie kids is ready. That might be as soon as late winter.

I'm expecting a lot of 4-3 and 5-4 wins for the Flames this year. Works for me.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM   #1376
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
FWIW I believe Smith will struggle with the lower shot totals. I am always skeptical of goalies who see the puck regularily and thrive in that. Last year Elliott faced 28.2 shots a game, and I expect Smith to face even less if we replace Bart-Engo with Kulak-Stone. Not everyone can handle a Jonathan Quick type reduced workload from a mental perspective.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #1377
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
FWIW I believe Smith will struggle with the lower shot totals. I am always skeptical of goalies who see the puck regularily and thrive in that. Last year Elliott faced 28.2 shots a game, and I expect Smith to face even less if we replace Bart-Engo with Kulak-Stone. Not everyone can handle a Jonathan Quick type reduced workload from a mental perspective.
Maybe. Although I don't believe there is any good evidence to suggest that this might occur. On the contrary, if we factor Smith's annual save percentage against his shots faced relative to minutes played over the past six seasons, there doesn't seem to be any correlation.

From top to bottom according to shots against/min:

2016–17 0.568 SA/min, 0.914 SP (55 starts)
2014–15 0.550, 0.904 (61 starts)
2011–12 0.529, 0.930 (67 starts)
2015–16 0.525, 0.916 (32 starts)
2013–14 0.518, 0.915 (61 starts)
2012–13 0.480, 0.910 (34 starts)

Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #1378
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You realize you are comparing the Blues/Ducks defence to the Yotes right? Smith is certainly playing in front of a better team than his last. Our previous two starters came from higher echelon teams not a bottom feeder like Smith. Also, the Flames D has had a Major upgrade over game one last season.
Yes I realize that however Johnson's stats dipped from his time in Buffalo and they certainly aren't a higher echelon team. Smith is playing in front of a better defense with the Flames but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to put up better numbers as there will be much, much more pressure on him in Calgary.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #1379
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yes I realize that however Johnson's stats dipped from his time in Buffalo and they certainly aren't a higher echelon team. Smith is playing in front of a better defense with the Flames but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to put up better numbers as there will be much, much more pressure on him in Calgary.
But if you look at Johnson's numbers historically they are all over the map—some exceptional years admixed with some that were not very good. It seems like a better bet that Smith—who has been pretty consistent for a while now—will do fine behind a better Calgary defence.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 12:22 PM   #1380
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If anything, with Smith in the net there won't be many dull moments.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: