Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #6841
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
while i don't disagree with your premise, i think that the last elections, regardless of how the popular vote went, has created some introspection on the part of Democrats.

Their message wasn't clear. They didn't really know what their party stood for.
The thing that frustrates me to no end is that Clinton actually had more thorough and developed policy positions (about practically everything) than any other presidential candidate ever. And it's sad that this doesn't equal having a message. The thing about a president is that they aren't elected to do one thing, no matter how loudly they might yell about that one thing... they're elected to be in charge of everything, so it's awful that the US has reached a point where it's demanded that parties and leaders distill their message down to a few punchy soundbites. Trump is the ultimate symptom of that: he's got a few soundbites he cares passionately about, and the rest of the governing he passes off to whatever swamp denizens can worm their way in.

The message that the Democrats need to go with is that they're the party that is both qualified and willing to lead the country on all issues; it should be more about competency than any actual policies. Focus not just on Trump but on the incompetent and often actively destructive people he hired, like DeVos and Pruitt; focus on the incompetency and inability of the Republican congress to pass legislation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #6842
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those ruminating about the next election, Trump approval rating is underwater in 11 of the states he won.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 PM   #6843
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is the wall coming? Mexico write a cheque yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #6844
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Seriously???
Sorry should have included the link.

http://www.businessinsider.com/penta...parison-2017-7
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #6845
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The thing that frustrates me to no end is that Clinton actually had more thorough and developed policy positions (about practically everything) than any other presidential candidate ever. And it's sad that this doesn't equal having a message. The thing about a president is that they aren't elected to do one thing, no matter how loudly they might yell about that one thing... they're elected to be in charge of everything, so it's awful that the US has reached a point where it's demanded that parties and leaders distill their message down to a few punchy soundbites. Trump is the ultimate symptom of that: he's got a few soundbites he cares passionately about, and the rest of the governing he passes off to whatever swamp denizens can worm their way in.

The message that the Democrats need to go with is that they're the party that is both qualified and willing to lead the country on all issues; it should be more about competency than any actual policies. Focus not just on Trump but on the incompetent and often actively destructive people he hired, like DeVos and Pruitt; focus on the incompetency and inability of the Republican congress to pass legislation.
oh god, she was a policy wonk!

I mean she knew stuff inside and out, and that's not including the 3 questions that Brazil idiotically gave to her...

honestly, she lost it because she was not effective in those swing states and generally speaking she isn't charismatic...

i posted this previously, but the Simpsons were pretty prescient on the stupidity of the average voter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRBH5vHhm4c

Trump figured out "a way to appeal to all the lazy slobs out there"... just swap "Can't someone else do it" to "Make America Great Again"...
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #6846
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #6847
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article push no punches on McCain... deservedly so imo... I was like the writer... hoping that The Maverick would finally, under pain of a cancer diagnosis, do the right thing for the American's that need help the most.

He did the opposite and then lectured people in a way that was completely antithetical to his yes vote!!!

Disgraceful. I can only hope others who were fooled like i was see him for what he is...

http://www.gq.com/story/john-mccain-...t-american-lie
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #6848
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders getting absolutely grilled by reporters about the transgender thing and Trump's twitter meltdown over Sessions. As usual, she can't answer a single question.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #6849
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
This article push no punches on McCain... deservedly so imo... I was like the writer... hoping that The Maverick would finally, under pain of a cancer diagnosis, do the right thing for the American's that need help the most.

He did the opposite and then lectured people in a way that was completely antithetical to his yes vote!!!

Disgraceful. I can only hope others who were fooled like i was see him for what he is...

http://www.gq.com/story/john-mccain-...t-american-lie

The Republicans have been a disgrace for a decade. No surprise here.
They are just riding Trump's coattails now but trying to not be too obvious about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Sarah Huckabee Sanders getting absolutely grilled by reporters about the transgender thing and Trump's twitter meltdown over Sessions. As usual, she can't answer a single question.
Trump should be his own press secretary. That would be entertaining.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #6850
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
One of the more vocal Trump voters that I work with is a woman whose best friend is someone who served in the army with her husband. That person is currently transitioning from m-to-f.

I wonder if this might finally break through her thick skull that perhaps voting Trump wasn't the best idea. I doubt it.
Do keep us updated on this situation. I am fascinated on how the cognitive dissonance will work on someone that he is affecting so directly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #6851
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Republicans have been a disgrace for a decade. No surprise here.
They are just riding Trump's coattails now but trying to not be too obvious about it.

Trump should be his own press secretary. That would be entertaining.
At the rate he is going through people, he might just have to.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #6852
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Caitlyn Jenner expressed her sense of betrayal over the military ban on Twitter, and is just getting ripped to shreds by the rest of the transgender community over her previous support Trump because she's a millionaire that sold out her community in exchange for tax cuts for the rich.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #6853
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At the rate he is going through people, he might just have to.
Introducing John Barron as press secretary! (available by phone only.)
Old 07-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #6854
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

NBC Politics @NBCPolitics
ACA repeal measure fails 45-55 with 7 Republican defections (Alexander, Capito, Collins, Heller, McCain, Murkowski, Portman)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #6855
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, wait... all that talk about McCain being a coward and taking away peoples' health care and then he votes against the repeal measure? Did I miss something? Is this a different vote?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #6856
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

This doesn't break new ground, but is eloquently stated:

Quote:
What is wrong with him?

But I have come to believe that question misses the point. Sixty-three million people voted for this. And make no mistake, they knew what they were getting. It was always obvious that Trump was a not-ready-for-prime-time candidate, but they chose him anyway. And the rest of us need to finally come to grips with the reason why.

It wasn’t economic anxiety. As a study co-sponsored by the Public Religion Research Institute and The Atlantic reported in May, people who were worried for their jobs voted for Hillary Clinton. But people who dislike Mexicans and Muslims, people who oppose same-sex marriage, people mortally offended at a White House occupied by a black guy with a funny name, they voted for Trump.

That’s the reality, and it’s time we quit dancing around it.
http://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-co...161550868.html
Old 07-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #6857
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe this was the vote to repeal now and replace in two years.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #6858
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So, wait... all that talk about McCain being a coward and taking away peoples' health care and then he votes against the repeal measure? Did I miss something? Is this a different vote?
Yes, this vote was to repeal with no replacement, or repeal and delay.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #6859
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, thanks. Haven't been paying enough attention the past couple of weeks.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #6860
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Yes, this vote was to repeal with no replacement, or repeal and delay.
Nevermind that it didn't pass...45 GOP senators were willing to take away healthcare from millions of people with absolutely no substitute. That pretty much sums up how disgusting the GOP has become.
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms