Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Ivrnet

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #6401
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

RIP to the Brain. Probably the best heel announcer of all-time. Great manager back in the day too.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #6402
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Very sad, Bobby was absolutely brilliant as a heel manager with a great sense of humor and a rapier wit. I know he'd been really sick for a long time.

RIP Brain.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 AM   #6403
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rip

Been watching videos of him tonight, no one could compare

Him at the rumble in 92 is worth watching in full
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #6404
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

RIP Bobby. Probably the greatest manager and announcer of all time. Such a character and really knew how to play the heel. On a side note, man I miss the days of Gorilla Monsoon, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, and even McMahon announcing. They really makes the announcers of today pale in comparison......
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #6405
iggy_oi
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3752220/bo...n-heenan-dead/
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #6406
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
RIP Bobby. Probably the greatest manager and announcer of all time. Such a character and really knew how to play the heel. On a side note, man I miss the days of Gorilla Monsoon, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, and even McMahon announcing. They really makes the announcers of today pale in comparison......
I like Corey graves a lot, I think in 10 years he's up there with the greats

Vince clearly sees potential putting him on both raw and smackdown, and involved with storylines as well
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 AM   #6407
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved the Heenan tributes tonight, Bobby was amazing and natural on the mic and didn't have a script writer like the WWE has now.

I was reading a lot of stuff on line and apparently Bobby was a lot like his character back stage, quick wit, made everyone laugh and didn't take himself too seriously.

Reading excerpts from his book, he hated working in WCW though, he hated the atmosphere and his broadcast partner so at times he turned a little mean spirited.

I was listening to busted open last night and a fan phoned in and talked about sitting with Bobby at a baseball game and Bobby sat there for the whole game telling these amazing stories.

Bubba Ray talked about his greatest moment being a huge mistake.

When Hogan came to the ring at Bash on the Beach and everyone in the broadcast crew was going crazy, and telling Hogan to go get the NWO, and Heenan screams out, "Who's side is he on" and after Hogan's turn, Heenan said "I've been telling you guys to years"

Heenan was brilliant but I guess WCW management wasnt absolutely nuts.

Just listen to how great Bobby was here

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sz11
Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 AM   #6408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also if you go to about 2:33 and I forgot about this, but a fan jumped into the ring and his lights punched out by Nash and his head stomped in.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 AM   #6409
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=61c_1410151776
Old 09-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #6410
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just thinking something about the Reigns/Cena match, especially with Reigns name-dropping Alex Riley the other night and continuing to talk about how Cena buries talent. I think it'd be cool as hell if WWE had a bunch of past guys that Cena buried show up at No Mercy to beat him down and cost him the win. Guys like Barrett, Riley, Ryder, Rusev, etc. Be a cool way to keep continuity going and write Cena off TV while he goes to work on his film projects.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #6411
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

When Hogan came to the ring at Bash on the Beach and everyone in the broadcast crew was going crazy, and telling Hogan to go get the NWO, and Heenan screams out, "Who's side is he on" and after Hogan's turn, Heenan said "I've been telling you guys to years"

Heenan was brilliant but I guess WCW management wasnt absolutely nuts.

Just listen to how great Bobby was here

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sz11
One of the greatest wrestling moments of all time! That segment literally turned the business upside down and opened the door for arguably the greatest period in wrestling history. nWo is still the greatest storyline of all time.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #6412
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Was just thinking something about the Reigns/Cena match, especially with Reigns name-dropping Alex Riley the other night and continuing to talk about how Cena buries talent. I think it'd be cool as hell if WWE had a bunch of past guys that Cena buried show up at No Mercy to beat him down and cost him the win. Guys like Barrett, Riley, Ryder, Rusev, etc. Be a cool way to keep continuity going and write Cena off TV while he goes to work on his film projects.
I don't mind the idea, but do you really want to make it so that Reigns has to have help to beat Cena? That's not really handing the torch over which I think is slowly happening with Cena as I expect in the next year or so, he'll basically be done in the ring.

I tend to think that if Reigns doesn't win this clean that it signals that the office is getting ready to move on from the idea as Reigns as the face of the company.

I tend to think that this was a test run for Reigns, and he's looked awkward and weak. I mean both guys are basically scripted by the WWE but Reigns has just never looked comfortable.

In fact the only time he did look comfortable was when Cena wasn't in the building.

The WWE has to be a little worried, the faces of the company are getting up there in age, even AJ who is a "New Guy" and Balor aren't exactly young bucks.

Right now the push for Strowman shows that the WWE has maybe twisted away from Reigns a bit.

I think that my expectation is that Reigns has to have a really good match. We know over the last year that Cena has wrestled some very good matches even when he's putting people over so they need Reigns to look strong and Undertaker Cena.

On the Strowman front, I loved what Bubba Ray had to say on Busted open. He was pissed with the whole Enzo Strowman beat down because minutes later after Strowman came out and destroyed Enzo, they had an interview with Enzo in the training room and he was talking and fired up.

Bubba thought it was the worst writing ever and screwed up Strowman a bit. Basically what should have happened according to Bubba Ray.

Strowman comes out and destroys Enzo. Enzo is hauled out on a stretcher, he's put in an ambulance. The ambulance drives to a Grave Yard. The paramedics dig a ditch, they throw Enzo's corpse in the ditch and throw dirt on it, and we don't see Enzo for 2 months.

But instead of selling Strowman as a destroyer, he looks like Mary Sue Ingalls.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #6413
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't mind the idea, but do you really want to make it so that Reigns has to have help to beat Cena? That's not really handing the torch over which I think is slowly happening with Cena as I expect in the next year or so, he'll basically be done in the ring.

I tend to think that if Reigns doesn't win this clean that it signals that the office is getting ready to move on from the idea as Reigns as the face of the company.
I would expect they'll do a second Reigns/Cena at some point, so no I don't think this hurts Reigns and actually probably helps push him a little more into heel territory, which they seem to be slow-burning towards.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote