Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #1081
SanFranFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So many combinations.

I think the first thing they need to figure out is how Peters wants to use his fourth line, that will determine who needs to get dealt, or who plays with who. If it's a three line team with a fourth line getting less ice it's a very different look than if they want to balance things out.

There is little doubt that all of Monahah, Gaudreau, Neal, Backlund, Tkachuk, Lindholm and Bennett need to play in the top three lines (Bennett may not be on all of your lists). But then you have Jankowski, Ryan and Frolik who are all set for top nine duty and they don't all fit as that pushes the list to 10.

Do you move a top nine like Frolik?

Or do you go with that and add a Czarnik/Mangiapane/Foo boost and have four lines that can score?
I really hope they go the 2nd route. Having 4 lines that can all score seems to be the way of the future. No grinders, no wasted ice time, no 6 mins/night deterrents.
SanFranFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SanFranFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #1082
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Wow not a single post passed before the fun police show up.

Yes. Of course. All of those things. You keep focusing on them.

The team has made countless steps to improve each and every issue that plagued them last year. I’m excited.
I do? 1 post is "keep"ing?

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #1083
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I do? 1 post is "keep"ing?
I can see how that could be construed that way. “You go ahead and focus on those” was the intent.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #1084
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OK - here comes an un-popular option, I'm sure. And I'll be the first to admit it...Bennett has disappointed but I'm an apologist and I don't want to give up on him!

Line 1a:
Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk deserves more offensive linemates. He's "Graduated" Backs and Frolik. I think together these three can drive play, everyone is on their natural side / wing and Lindolm can take important draws on that side of the ice. And neat to have the #5 and #6 2013 draft picks play together / push each other!

Line 1b:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Neal

Watching those Neal highlight packages...he's gotta play with Johnny IMO. That shot. From anywhere!?!? He's going to be scoring all day long with Johnny saucing him passes. If Mony finishes 30+ times a season with regularity I don't see how Neal won't out-do that. Wow!

So need someone to get in the corners, retrieve pucks with a nice balance of skill and grit. Shooting and playmaking. BENNETT! ;-) And the RH / LH thing works. Bennett's face-offs actually got a lot better last year too.

Line 3:
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik

How much of a downgrade will it be from Tkachuk to Janko? I'd like to see! Again everyone on their natural wing. The sophmore can be "sheltered" by two of the best and it's still a 3M line! I would expect shut-down and scoring from a line that is 2/3rds of the NHLs best possession line 2 seasons ago.

4th line:
Lazar - Ryan - Brouwer / Czarnik
Extra: Brouwer / Czarnik

You can't win draws against them and you can't out-hustle / out-skate some of them. A good energy line that SHOULD over-match their competition on most nights. Sucks to have two guys making $7.65M on your 4th line but that's what this depth gives you.

Get rid of Hathaway (good guy but not young and not needed) and Mangiapane is your first injury call-up at wing.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #1085
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post

Line 1b:

Watching those Neal highlight packages...he's gotta play with Johnny IMO. That shot. From anywhere!?!? He's going to be scoring all day long with Johnny saucing him passes. If Mony finishes 30+ times a season with regularity I don't see how Neal won't out-do that. Wow!

So need someone to get in the corners, retrieve pucks with a nice balance of skill and grit. Shooting and playmaking. BENNETT! ;-) And the RH / LH thing works. Bennett's face-offs actually got a lot better last year too.
All three shoot left. I will leave the rest to others.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #1086
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
All three shoot left. I will leave the rest to others.
As do Johnny / Mony / Neal which is most people's lineups.

I guess I should have said the RW / LW thing works. Everyone is where they normally play.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #1087
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As do Johnny / Mony / Neal which is most people's lineups.

I guess I should have said the RW / LW thing works. Everyone is where they normally play.
I think the Right Shot thing is more of a PP issue than a regular 5v5 issue. Yes in an ideal world your RW shoots right but it is less important than on the PP where we saw time and again opposition able to essentially ignore shots from the right side or the cross crease to the back-door passes because we were lacking a competent right shot.

So I don't know who should play where but I also don't think 5v5 lines need to worry so much about handedness.

Now, as for splitting up Jonny and Mony thats another thing altogether.

Hoping to see Peters really roll lines and hope we can develop a similar top 9 approach to what vegas had last year with the ability to roll all four lines.

The line blender approach is probably gonna drive most of us nuts by the mid point of the season, if Peter's reputation is to be believed.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #1088
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN guy yesterday breaking down the Neal signing had him slotted on the 3rd line. I was thinking Blasphemy but his logic was sound. It forces the top six to elevate thei games.

Bennett-Janko-Neal leaves the 3M line intact to start. Gives Lindholm a solid crack at the top line which makes a lot of sense. But it's good to have the flexibility that if something isn't working anywhere we have legit options to fill holes on the fly.

This is crazy awesome.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #1089
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Johnny-Money-Tkachuk
Neal-Lindholm-Bennett
Jankowski-Backs-Frolik
Lazar-Ryan-Czarnik/Brouwer

Peters has talked about having Tkachuk move to his off-wing already. Neal is a natural Left Wing as well. So I think Moving Tkachuk to the top RW fills in the grit factor that Ferland had, but also brings a lot more Offensive power. Tkachuk was a 50 point player on a defensive minded 3M line. I don't think it's unreasonable to see him hit 70 points along with Monahan and Johnny.

Bennett has played some RW since being moved away from Center. Given the opportunity to settle in on a line, I think we see him come closer to potential. He's able to retrieve pucks, and win battles in the corners. I think having a play making center, and a natural goal scorer as linemates helps him Flourish. I think he just needs to be given the opportunity, not just a few games here and there. Also gives us two guys who can take draws.

Jankowski showed some offensive flair last season, which is what Backlund and Frolik require to be an Elite 3rd line in the league. Jankowski can learn to play a solid 2 way game, much like Tkachuk has, while also leading the line offensively.

Lazar may never reach the expectations many had when he was drafted, and that's fine. He's a guy with a motor that doesn't stop, doesn't shy away from the corners, and has enough skill to chip in. Along with Ryan and Czarnik, this could be one of the most frustrating 4th lines in the league to play against. Smart defensively, but with enough skill that it's not out of reach for all 3 guys to pot 10+ goals, and put up 25+ points.

With the additions so far, what I really hope to see is some consistency in the line-up. Guys need some time to build chemistry, we now have enough wingers to fill the top 9, and not have to constantly move guys up and down lines every other game.

Crazy thing, I could also see the line-up being completely different, but just as successful.
Gonna be a fun season!
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1090
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just occurred to me:

Jankowski 6'4", 202 lbs
Brouwer 6'3", 215 lbs
Mony 6'3", 195 lbs
Neal 6'2", 221 lbs
Tkatchuk 6'2", 202 lbs
Bennett 6'1", 200 lbs
Lindholm 6'1", 192 lbs
Backlund 6'1", 199 lbs
Frolik 6'1", 194 lbs
Lazar 6'0", 209 lbs

There are 10 players > 6 feet tall. No goons...but I don't think this offensive group will get pushed around much. I've always loved how strong on the puck Backs-Fro are without being monsters out there. I think we'll be that strong throughout the lineup...something that pays dividends as games wear on.

Tkatchuk, Bennett and Neal are legit "Mean". Backs-Fro-Lazar and hopefully Lindholm are "Heavy". WTF is up with Brouwer?!!? Mony and Janks need to lean a bit more than they do!

I know we always say Anaheim and LA are "Heavy" teams. I haven't done a similar analysis...but are they that much bigger throughout the lineup?

All stats from www.hockeydb.com by the way. Which often understates weights I've noticed in the past. (Draft-day weights not updated?).
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #1091
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the AC's Monahan video from last year. Saw the chemistry between Gaudreau, Monahan, and Brodie in OT. But who else?

Gone are the days of having to put Backlund and Frolik out there; instead, you've got lots of forward options (with centres on every line):

Tkachuk - Backlund - Gio
Lindholm - Neal - Hanifin

Mix in a little Ryan - Cznarik as well?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #1092
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
TSN guy yesterday breaking down the Neal signing had him slotted on the 3rd line. I was thinking Blasphemy but his logic was sound. It forces the top six to elevate thei games.

Bennett-Janko-Neal leaves the 3M line intact to start. Gives Lindholm a solid crack at the top line which makes a lot of sense. But it's good to have the flexibility that if something isn't working anywhere we have legit options to fill holes on the fly.

This is crazy awesome.
That's actually brilliant and spreads the wealth in a way that there aren't any weaknesses especially if 3M can regain some form. Neal could help the kids get their playmaking confidence up and be that vet presence that Jagr was briefly. Who better to demonstrate how to net goals consistently.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #1093
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Just finished watching the AC's Monahan video from last year. Saw the chemistry between Gaudreau, Monahan, and Brodie in OT. But who else?

Gone are the days of having to put Backlund and Frolik out there; instead, you've got lots of forward options (with centres on every line):

Tkachuk - Backlund - Gio
Lindholm - Neal - Hanifin

Mix in a little Ryan - Cznarik as well?
Me too - Brodie always making plays coming down the right side...
Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #1094
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
OK - here comes an un-popular option, I'm sure. And I'll be the first to admit it...Bennett has disappointed but I'm an apologist and I don't want to give up on him!

Line 1a:
Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm

Tkachuk deserves more offensive linemates. He's "Graduated" Backs and Frolik. I think together these three can drive play, everyone is on their natural side / wing and Lindolm can take important draws on that side of the ice. And neat to have the #5 and #6 2013 draft picks play together / push each other!

Line 1b:

Line 3:
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik

How much of a downgrade will it be from Tkachuk to Janko? I'd like to see! Again everyone on their natural wing. The sophmore can be "sheltered" by two of the best and it's still a 3M line! I would expect shut-down and scoring from a line that is 2/3rds of the NHLs best possession line 2 seasons ago.

4th line:
Lazar - Ryan - Brouwer / Czarnik
Extra: Brouwer / Czarnik

You can't win draws against them and you can't out-hustle / out-skate some of them. A good energy line that SHOULD over-match their competition on most nights. Sucks to have two guys making $7.65M on your 4th line but that's what this depth gives you.

Get rid of Hathaway (good guy but not young and not needed) and Mangiapane is your first injury call-up at wing.
Switch Gaudreau with Tkachuk. Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal could possibly be the most rage inducing/penalty drawing line in NHL history
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctajones428 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #1095
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man all the different options people are putting out there really puts a smile on my face. Adding 2 top 6 forwards (while not tearing apart the defense) has been awesome. I love the depth and combinations we have plus we finally have 2 options for the top line. Unless goaltending craps we have to make the playoffs.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #1096
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Switch Gaudreau with Tkachuk. Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal could possibly be the most rage inducing/penalty drawing line in NHL history
To date, Bennett hasn't been able to play along the line without going over it unlike Tkachuk or Neal. I'd keep Bennett on the third line until he demonstrates more improvement and better point production.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #1097
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters coaches with a blender so get used to line changes more often than not
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 AM   #1098
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

People keep putting Ryan as the 4th line center but I don't think that will happen in the beginning. I'm sure he'll be on the 3rd line until somebody supplants him.

Lindholm will likely be RW to Backlund and Tkachuk. Neal to Johnny and Monny. Swap Lindholm and Neal around.

Ryan will center Bennett or Jankowski and Czarnik or Frolik.

Jankowski or Czarnik will center the 4th and Lazar will be the constant on wing with Brouwer in and out of the lineup until he acquiesces to a trade (salary dump).

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal/Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund/Lindholm - Lindholm/Neal
Bennett/Jankowski - Ryan/Backlund - Frolik/Czarnick
Lazar/Frolik - Jankowski/Ryan - Brouwer/Czarnik/Frolik

I think Frolik could spend time on the 4th.line this year. Brouwer will have to step up if he wants to play. I'm wondering if he can with a new coach. I'm also wondering if Treliving has something in the works to get rid of Brouwer.

Last edited by Buff; 07-04-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 AM   #1099
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Here are my in-depth thoughts on the roster / lineups after all the free-agent signings.

Forwards:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Ryan - Czarnik
Frolik - Jankowski - Brouwer

13/14th Forwards: Lazar / Hathaway
Wildcards to take a spot out of camp: Foo, Mangiapane, Dube

Notes:
- The first line is pretty self-explanatory. Give Gaudreau linemates who can shoot the puck like Monahan and Neal and the rest will solve itself.
- The second line sees Lindholm slot into the RW spot. I believe this line will have the ability to shut-down other team's top line while also driving play. Lindholm over Frolik here I think will add some more scoring to this line. Tkachuk will be even better this coming season and I believe he has the potential to pot 30 goals this season.
- Third and fourth line are the tough lines to project as there are so many combinations that I can see working out. I think that we don't sign Czarnik and especially Ryan to July 1st deals without seeing what they can provide for the team, hence why I slotted both on the 3rd line. As well, maybe new linemates will give Bennett some jump. If Brouwer is not bought out by season's start, he will probably slot in on the 4th line. He will and should be on a short rope however. If any of the young guys can show they belong over Brouwer which is probable, I think Peters is the type of coach who won't think twice in icing the most competitive team possible and will bench vets who don't perform.
- I see the 3rd and 4th line sharing ice-time depending on which line is going on a given night which is an option that is nice to have. Both should have the ability to chip in offensively which would be a huge contrast to last season.

Defence:

Gio - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Prout

Wildcards to take a spot out of camp: Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington, Juuso Valimaki, Marcus Hogstrom

Notes:
- Brodano back together again. I fully believe that anyone who plays with Gio just instantly plays better. Gio is like King Midas or something. Although Hamilton's shooting ability will be missed, I think Brodie can play a better transition game and maybe this works better for Peters' system of playing fast.
- Hanifin is still growing and learning as a young D-man but the potential to break out is exciting. I like the potential of Hanifin being able to showcase his offence while Hamonic plays a shut-down role. Here's hoping that there is better chemistry between the HaHa's than Brodie showed with Hamonic last year.
- Again, the wildcard for the defence is the bottom pair. I'm unsure whether or not Stone gets traded before the season starts to make room for Andersson to start playing some consistent minutes in the NHL. If Stone doesn't get traded, I don't see Andersson cracking the lineup. But if Stone does get traded, would we be comfortable running a Kulak and Andersson pairing? Maybe some growing pains here but could prove fruitful if Andersson develops as he has been these past few years. However, this maybe risky if some injuries occur on the backend. Really a toss-up but maybe the signing of Hogstrom and Prout can provide some minutes for us should anyone get injured. I envision Valimaki playing top pairing minutes in the AHL and maybe getting a call-up at the end of the season to get a taste.

Goalies:

Smith
Rittich

Wildcards: Gillies, proven backup acquired via trade or signing

Notes:
- I'm hoping for a lesser work-load for Smith in the regular season (~55 GP) should the Flames be comfortably in a playoff position. However, if the Flames are fighting tooth and nail with other teams for a wildcard spot, I see something happening like last year where Smith plays a ton of games and maybe isn't as good down the stretch due to wear and tear.
- I've slotted in Rittich over Gillies for now as the backup simply because Gillies is waiver-eligible. Both guys are solid in the backup role but if Smith gets injured similarly to last year, are the Flames confident that Rittich and Gillies can hold the fort? There may be some merit to signing a proven backup goalie with experience, trading Rittich for assets, and running Gillies and Parsons down in Stockton. Will be interesting to see this play out.

My key takeaways:
1) We have significantly improved scoring depth on all lines. Treliving identified last year before the season started that he was concerned if we would score enough goals. I think he really did a great job addressing it this off-season by adding key forwards in Neal, Lindholm and Ryan. Not only this, but we should see more improvement from our young guys like Jankowski, Tkachuk, and (fingers crossed) Bennett. Lastly, we are giving an opportunity to a player in Austin Czarnik who has shown he can score at all levels he's played in but hasn't had the chance to really get going in the NHL. His numbers are similar to Yanni Gourde from the Lightning who just had a 64 pt season playing on the second line after putting up solid numbers in the AHL for 6/7 years. If we can give Czarnik a real shot, maybe he becomes something. If he doesn't turn out, it would have been a low-risk play anyway and we have enough prospect depth that could come in and fill the void.

2) Hanifin vs Hamilton: Of course Hamilton is a superior player compared to Hanifin right now but what is key here is that in my opinion, Hamilton has hit his peak whereas Hanifin is still developing. Hamilton has shown over the last 3 years with us that he can score goals, get pucks through from the point to generate scoring chances, and, of course, he skates like a deer. But has he really improved all that much? And more importantly, what was his impact on the defensive side of the ice? When diving into advanced stats and analytics, Hamilton is rated as one of the best D in the entire league. But to what extent does having a D partner like Gio contribute to Hamilton's underlying numbers? I think we will know these answers after Hamilton plays a season with the Canes. Again, IMO Hamilton has reached a peak in his career. I see him as a solid 40-50pt offensive defenceman but one that has troubles in his own end.

Hanifin on the other-hand has potential to develop into a top pairing D-man. This is a 21 year old who just put up 32 points and was an all-star last season (although that was because of an injury to Aho). It is very improbable that Hanifin just stops developing and has hit his peak as a defenceman. It is much more likely that he continues developing and learning the game and will improve year over year. The question now is whether he can have an impact like Dougie offensively but be more responsible in the d-zone. Only time will tell.

3) Goalie situation will likely be the same in terms of who's in net but I believe there will be a shift in how many games Smith will play in the regular season. If the coaches and management believe that Rittich can handle more games and if they are in a comfortable playoff spot mid-season, then I imagine Rittich will draw in for more games to make sure Smith is not overworked come playoffs. I am hopeful that this scenario plays out.

4) I should go to bed because it is 3:01am. What am I doing with my life?

Last edited by circle; 07-04-2018 at 03:04 AM.
circle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to circle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 06:31 AM   #1100
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would agree with the Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal 1st line and Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm 2nd line pairings on paper make most sense.

The rest will be a blender with Lindholm and Tkachuk also seeing some 1RW time given Peters style of switching things up alot.

Suspect they will wait and see on moving Stone. Not enough depth at right shot D anymore with Hamilton and Fox departures. Only Prout below Andersson with right shot even close to NHL calibre in system.

If Andersson ready, they may go with 7D roster that includes him and rotate Stone/Andersson game by game as long as we are injury free on D. We really need to see what Andersson brings at NHL level especially on PP.

Only immediate move possible is moving Frolik to free up cap space for a Hanifan long term deal. But based on Matt Cane projections bridge deal preferred. BT must have already got an idea Hanifan wants a prove it contract for a couple years.

I highly doubt we see a goalie signing unless Rittich does not regain his form as backup when he was posting 0.930 SV% before Smith injury.

I would include Gawdin the mix with Dube, Mangiapane and Foo. Got to think one of these four steps up and takes a spot.

Brouwer destined to be 13 or 14th forward until we find a new home for him. It will require us to give up a prospect to move him and may even require retained salary.

Lazar and Hathaway likely will end up waived to Stockton.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote