Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #7081
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Trump destroyed America. The seed was planted a long time ago. Bill Maher was interviewed by Fareed Zakaria of CNN and I thought put it well. He was predicting as follows:

1) Republicans will dominate these midterms and take key positions in government
2) These same Republicans are denialists to the US system of government and basically con artists who refuse to acknowledge election results unless it suits them
3) Trump will run for President again
4) These same Republican people that get elected in these midterms will stand up for Trump when he inevitably stages a coup
5) Trump will never leave office again after that, and there will be massive, massive problems in America.

Said it before multiple times and will say it again, America is a freight train headed to civil war and (IMO) there is no stopping it. It's what its people want.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 10:07 PM   #7082
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Republican voters are so stupid!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588166224277544962
Old 11-06-2022, 10:19 PM   #7083
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They're just repeating what they're told by Republican candidates and government officials. Actual Republican government officials and school board members have repeated that litterbox nonsense. They've discussed it as a growing crisis in the Tennessee legislature.

Schools often keep some litter in a pail for kids if they're locked in a classroom for an extended period because there's a SCHOOL SHOOTING.

Just one more case where Republican politicians show how credulous they've always been and now are just more willing to amplify nonsense because they don't care about having to appear sane in public now.
Old 11-06-2022, 10:58 PM   #7084
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
They're just repeating what they're told by Republican candidates and government officials. Actual Republican government officials and school board members have repeated that litterbox nonsense. They've discussed it as a growing crisis in the Tennessee legislature.

Schools often keep some litter in a pail for kids if they're locked in a classroom for an extended period because there's a SCHOOL SHOOTING.

Just one more case where Republican politicians show how credulous they've always been and now are just more willing to amplify nonsense because they don't care about having to appear sane in public now.
Really? That's so strange, sad and awful.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:03 PM   #7085
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Trump destroyed America. The seed was planted a long time ago. Bill Maher was interviewed by Fareed Zakaria of CNN and I thought put it well. He was predicting as follows:

1) Republicans will dominate these midterms and take key positions in government
2) These same Republicans are denialists to the US system of government and basically con artists who refuse to acknowledge election results unless it suits them
3) Trump will run for President again
4) These same Republican people that get elected in these midterms will stand up for Trump when he inevitably stages a coup
5) Trump will never leave office again after that, and there will be massive, massive problems in America.

Said it before multiple times and will say it again, America is a freight train headed to civil war and (IMO) there is no stopping it. It's what its people want.

It certainly looks like they're headed in that direction. We thought 2020 and Jan. 6th were crazy? These upcoming elections and the aftermath are gonna be absolutely bats***.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:05 PM   #7086
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's baaaaack

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588508759491760128
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:06 PM   #7087
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, this timeline f'n sucks.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #7088
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
And does anyone think he doesnt have the ability to win?

We need to build a wall...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 11:45 PM   #7089
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's what its people want.
Wrong. Since the 2000 election (the one that was actually stolen), Republicans have been massively benifitting from gerrymandering to grow and expand their power, securing presidencies and taking control of the courts, all in direct spite of the wishes of the majority of the American electorate.

The electoral college is essentially just a form of gerrymandering. And it has had disastrous consequences for America and the world.

Last edited by Mathgod; 11-06-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:40 AM   #7090
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Biden will be permanently impeached. Just articles of impeachment drawn up, over and over, for two years in the House. Insanity.

Last edited by AltaGuy; 11-07-2022 at 01:43 AM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 03:25 AM   #7091
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And does anyone think he doesnt have the ability to win?
Ah ah ah, please DON’T say the magic words.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:18 AM   #7092
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And you've yet to explain how this whole civil war thing is going to work. How are battle lines going to be drawn up and how is this going to be fought? The country is not drawn up by red states and blue states that can fight each other. This is a country that is well blended and where enemies would literally live next door to each other. How does that turn into a civil war.

There are lots of tensions in this country, but I know no one that wants a civil war. Yeah, people talk a lot of #### about politics and act all tough, until you remind them they would have to kill their neighbor, because they have different political views. The problem is not the people, the problem is our media and the unregulated bull#### that flows from it. The reason there is tension is because the two medias can't agree on the facts. The conservative media is so detached from reality and has made so much money stoking fears of the other side that they have created a segment of the population willing to do the unspeakable to their opponents. It's tribalism in action, but if push comes to shove every single one of these idiots will turn tail and run back home to their Fox News bubble the second anything resembling danger arises. Just like the people they watch in the conservative media, they are chicken hawks and will immediately backdown when the #### gets real. A few wingnuts may do something stupid, but the vast majority of the country will remain sane and quickly throw their support behind putting the nonsense down.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 06:41 AM   #7093
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Oh, neat. They interviewed Yoho.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #7094
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Wrong. Since the 2000 election (the one that was actually stolen), Republicans have been massively benifitting from gerrymandering to grow and expand their power, securing presidencies and taking control of the courts, all in direct spite of the wishes of the majority of the American electorate.

The electoral college is essentially just a form of gerrymandering. And it has had disastrous consequences for America and the world.
Yes and no. It has to be close enough to gerrymander. You couldn't gerrymander something that was 70-30. Gerrymandering is an issue but only in some areas where it makes a difference. And even then, demographics may change 4 years later. Democrats should just gerrymander back when they are in power.

The problem is, they aren't in power enough at local and state levels. Democrats just have a terrible ground game. They don't get the vote out and are too worried about big gesture issue instead of kitchen table issues. It's been said in this thread, what's a young person issue that could be supported? And don't say loan forgiveness, that's a loaded issue. Some young people just finished paying off their loans, do they not get relief over the guy who defaulted?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #7095
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
There are people in Alberta posting about this on Facebook.

It's not just Americans.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 10:34 AM   #7096
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
And you've yet to explain how this whole civil war thing is going to work. How are battle lines going to be drawn up and how is this going to be fought? The country is not drawn up by red states and blue states that can fight each other. This is a country that is well blended and where enemies would literally live next door to each other. How does that turn into a civil war.

There are lots of tensions in this country, but I know no one that wants a civil war. Yeah, people talk a lot of #### about politics and act all tough, until you remind them they would have to kill their neighbor, because they have different political views. The problem is not the people, the problem is our media and the unregulated bull#### that flows from it. The reason there is tension is because the two medias can't agree on the facts. The conservative media is so detached from reality and has made so much money stoking fears of the other side that they have created a segment of the population willing to do the unspeakable to their opponents. It's tribalism in action, but if push comes to shove every single one of these idiots will turn tail and run back home to their Fox News bubble the second anything resembling danger arises. Just like the people they watch in the conservative media, they are chicken hawks and will immediately backdown when the #### gets real. A few wingnuts may do something stupid, but the vast majority of the country will remain sane and quickly throw their support behind putting the nonsense down.
Having lived in 2 separate parts of deep red America for over a decade, I think the bolded is not as far off as you think. The amount of things I've heard because I am a straight white mail and don't talk openly about politics is astounding. I think there is a significant portion of the population that would genuinely give the ultimatum of GTFO or I will shoot.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #7097
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Having lived in 2 separate parts of deep red America for over a decade, I think the bolded is not as far off as you think. The amount of things I've heard because I am a straight white mail and don't talk openly about politics is astounding. I think there is a significant portion of the population that would genuinely give the ultimatum of GTFO or I will shoot.
I've done the same dobbles, and for longer. Florida and Arizona, so I can say I covered the wackiness on both coasts. I will believe mass political violence is neigh when I see it. I don't see neighbors shooting each other because one voted for Trump and the other voted for Biden. If it were that way, we would have already seen it happen. There's been more than enough opportunities and sanity reigns supreme. If the country didn't fall apart after January 6th, I don't see it getting to the level where Americans start shooting each other over ideological reasons. There needs to be a much greater existential threat to reach that level of possible violence. Won't happen without some type of actual government oppression of citizens rights, like rounding people up and putting them in camps. In other words, it's not going to happen.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #7098
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

A conventional civil war doesn’t really seem possible. I could see an increase in domestic terrorism and civil unrest. It would look something more like Northern Ireland than Syria. The left really doesn’t have a lot of bite though. If the Republicans get back the power, it will probably placate them enough.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #7099
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I dont think there is anyone else except for maybe Putin that I have wished ill health on more. Come on nature, do your thing. You have 2 years.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #7100
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post

The intermixing of red and blue would make a traditional civil war impossible, and yes I think a lot of the poseurs are ultimately all talk and no action.

What happens though if/when a presidential election is clearly stolen by states ignoring vote results on patently flimsy pretexts? And let’s say the Supreme Court has confirmed that legislatures have the ultimate say on how elections are executed. Are the blue people just going to roll over and accept this?

If there is no recourse, revolt is still an option. Maybe not against neighbours, but against state capitals and institutions? Defended by other people, who may actually be neighbours. So do you end up in a civil war anyway?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote