Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #121
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
No.
Know a lot about China's constitution and the weight it carries in governance?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #122
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AFC is a nice guy, but clearly suffers from a kind of quasi-left English Boomer mentality about the world and how it works.

Nice guy though.
Oo, nice analysis! Now do Peter12 next.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #123
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
AFC is a nice guy, but clearly suffers from a kind of quasi-left English Boomer mentality about the world and how it works.

Nice guy though.
It would seem churlish not to like that
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #124
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It would seem churlish not to like that
Am I wrong? I would say I mostly disagree with what you say, but I like your overall tone a lot. Plus you seem like a genuinely good dude.

Hey, I can disagree with people without engaging in a childish piling on like some people on here. Oh look, it's started again.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #125
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Am I wrong? I would say I mostly disagree with what you say, but I like your overall tone a lot. Plus you seem like a genuinely good dude.

Hey, I can disagree with people without engaging in a childish piling on like some people on here. Oh look, it's started again.
No, and I rarely get to use churlish and its a word I like, so double bonus
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #126
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
what circumstantial evidence?
I posted on the first page of this thread, an article from noted conspiracy rag The Washington Post, talking about all the circumstantial evidence. That was followed by three pages of wise cracks and false accusations from people with poor reading comprehension skills.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #127
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe if you were less holier than thou, you wouldn't get piled on so much. Just sayin'
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #128
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default "SARS-CoV-2 is a manipulated virus"

Does a Nobel Prize winner in medicine have enough credibility?

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chines...iscovered-hiv/

Quote:
Professor Luc Montagnier, 2008 Nobel Prize winner for Medicine, claims that SARS-CoV-2 is a manipulated virus that was accidentally released from a laboratory in Wuhan, China. Chinese researchers are said to have used coronaviruses in their work to develop an AIDS vaccine. HIV DNA fragments are believed to have been found in the SARS-CoV-2 genome.
Quote:
in order to insert an HIV sequence into this genome, molecular tools are needed, and that can only be done in a laboratory.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #129
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Does a Nobel Prize winner in medicine have enough credibility?

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chines...iscovered-hiv/
He is 87.

So no I would no longer believe he is a scientific expert.

He said it on a podcast and not on a peer reviewed paper. He references the Indian work that notes the interesting coincidence as evidence. When the authors themselves stated that they pulled it because people were misinterpreting their work.

I should add that if this was an accidental lab release that wouldn’t be surprising. There are near misses surprisingly regularly. There is just the one case not linked to the market as evidence. I just don’t think it matters.

Last edited by GGG; 04-17-2020 at 08:32 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #130
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montagnier is probably one of those once in a generation geniuses though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 10:41 PM   #131
GoFlamesGo89
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Montagnier is probably one of those once in a generation geniuses though.

So you think his recent studies of 'water memory' are going to result in something useful? Even geniuses can pass their prime. Look up Linus Pauling and Vitamin C. Montagnier is well known to be controversial.

You can look up the genome of the virus yourself and use a tool called BLAST to look up similarity to other known genomes. Almost all viruses share similarities (something called homology) which IS NOT the same thing as being identical. HIV doesn't make it very high up on that list.
GoFlamesGo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:46 PM   #132
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, that was debunked months ago. There are no signs of manipulation in the SARS-CoV-2 genome.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #133
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlamesGo89 View Post
So you think his recent studies of 'water memory' are going to result in something useful? Even geniuses can pass their prime. Look up Linus Pauling and Vitamin C. Montagnier is well known to be controversial.

You can look up the genome of the virus yourself and use a tool called BLAST to look up similarity to other known genomes. Almost all viruses share similarities (something called homology) which IS NOT the same thing as being identical. HIV doesn't make it very high up on that list.
I didn't know I didn't know!
Old 04-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #134
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

He may or may not be a genius but he knows a publicity when he sees it and there is no publicity in it being naturally occuring.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:51 PM   #135
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He may or may not be a genius but he knows a publicity when he sees it and there is no publicity in it being naturally occuring.
True, Covid basically got no coverage until this theory started coming out
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:57 AM   #136
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He is 87.

So no I would no longer believe he is a scientific expert.

He said it on a podcast and not on a peer reviewed paper. He references the Indian work that notes the interesting coincidence as evidence. When the authors themselves stated that they pulled it because people were misinterpreting their work.

I should add that if this was an accidental lab release that wouldn’t be surprising. There are near misses surprisingly regularly. There is just the one case not linked to the market as evidence. I just don’t think it matters.
He may or may not be as sharp as 12 years ago when he won the Nobel but there are plenty more scientists now claiming this virus could not have been born naturally where the CPC says it came from.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #137
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
Yeah, that was debunked months ago. There are no signs of manipulation in the SARS-CoV-2 genome.
Here is an article from Nature discussing the possible origins of SARS-CoV-2. They provide rationale for why it is improbable the virus was a result of laboratory manipulation.

Edit:

News article from yesterday citing additional studies further disputing claims the virus is non-natural.

Last edited by Codes; 04-18-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Codes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #138
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He may or may not be as sharp as 12 years ago when he won the Nobel but there are plenty more scientists now claiming this virus could not have been born naturally where the CPC says it came from.
Sorry but... like who?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I don’t think I am disputing that not have the information you are referring too to dispute that. The question was is an 87 year old former Nobel winner who made statements on a podcast a credible source.

Also he won the Nobel prize for work done 27 years ago. He didn’t win until 2008.

My answer was no

Last edited by GGG; 04-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #140
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Well here’s an article from the Washington post saying that it’s possible this could have been an accidental release from the bio lab.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wash...outputType=amp

Highlights include:
No evidence of bats being sold at this seafood market
The bats that carry these viruses live in southern China, 1000s of Km’s from Wuhan
Bat coronaviruses were being studied at the virology institute
Institute is 300 yards from seafood market
First case had no known link to seafood market
Articles postulating this could have been an accidental release scrubbed from Chinese internet.

There’s a microbiologist from Rutgers quoted in the story, hopefully he’s credible enough for the people on this board. It’s at least a possibility, nothing more nothing less. In any case, postulating that scientists know 100% that this originated from an animal market is just dumb. It’s weird to see this pandemic play out and people refuse to allow possibilities for variance in things we most assuredly don’t know, like transmissibility fatality rates and origin. No one has a scientific background I guess.
Thought I would just point out the researchers believe tends that bats then infected Pangolins that then infected humans, while the wet market possibly didn't sell bats it did, I assume, sell pangolins that are mainly bred or caught in southern china where the bats are, it would seem more likely that a pangolin being bred in some barn in southern china which had bats nesting in it or something of that nature caught the bat flu and was then shipped out to Wuhan, where it then had its revenge on humans dumb enough to think that Pangolin tastes better than chicken.

All of this doesn't disprove that the Chinese did this on purpose or by accident or anything else, but it seems some variation of a pangolin catching bat flu on the farm or caged in some truck on the way to market is still massively the most likely.