Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #1741
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't really follow them, but in your post you said it was day 13 of the quarantine?
I believe it is 13 days since contact with the Olympiacos owner who later tested positive. The players and staff weren't quarantined until yesterday and it's not clear whether they should be quarantined for 14 days from then or 14 from contact.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #1742
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Prem season gets cancelled, and Liverpool doesn't win the trophy.

How sweet would that be?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #1743
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
So the Prem season gets cancelled, and Liverpool doesn't win the trophy.

How sweet would that be?
Amazing!

In all honesty, if you're at the point where players need to be quarantined, cancellation has to be in the cards?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #1744
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Covid 19 - Liverpool 18

I'll see myself out.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #1745
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
James ALWAYS lacks that final pass.

Either doesnt see it, sees it and makes the wrong decision and when he does see it he can't execute it.
I know, not europe thread --- but I'm glad he shot and didn't pass.

EDIT: moments after that goal, AGAIN he lacks the vision to center it to Ighalo.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #1746
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mikel Arteta has been tested positive.

that's all then, folks.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #1747
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Mikel Arteta has been tested positive.

that's all then, folks.
Apparently they're still playing the games this weekend though? Surely they've got to reverse that decision and postpone or cancel? Maybe they're just too greedy? Maybe the betting companies or media have too much at stake? Regardless of what the reasons are, this is madness!
Old 03-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #1748
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah that was before the Arteta news, which only just broke. They'll have an emergency meeting now tomorrow morning to discuss fixtures, according to the Telegraph. There's no way we'll see any games this weekend now.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #1749
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Benjamin Mendy too, self-isolating.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #1750
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miguel Delaney
@MiguelDelaney
Premier League emergency meeting tomorrow.

Am told some figures at certain clubs disagree with the decision to continue, and feel the season should be voided

Agreed, let's void it. No champion awarded, keep last years top 4. Seems most fair and safe scenario
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #1751
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arteta and now Hudson-odoi test positive
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #1752
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Premier League suspended until at least April 4th.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #1753
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know we probably could all use a good laugh right about now, and this video just kills me. Hilarious, probably to everyone but scousers.

NSFW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #1754
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not a liverpool fan but it would be a farce not to give them the title. People might claim.that the season is invalidated because it was not completed but I think in a table format the winner is whoever was top in the games played.

Never mind that between liverpool and city with 19 games to go between them, liverpool needed 2 results to go their way to clinch. They also earned it on merit and no one could argue they weren't going to win it.

Epl should use discretion and give them the title this year even if another game cant be played.

But hopefully they can finish the season in 6-8 weeks with some kind of creative format played without spectators. We will all be able to use the entertainment by then

Last edited by Matty81; 03-27-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #1755
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I'm not a liverpool fan but it would be a farce not to give them the title. People might claim.that the season is invalidated because it was not completed but I think in a table format the winner is whoever was top in the games played.

Never mind that between liverpool and city with 19 games to go between them, liverpool needed 2 results to go their way to clinch. They also earned it on merit and no one could argue they weren't going to win it.

Epl should use discretion and give them the title this year even if another game cant be played.

But hopefully they can finish the season in 6-8 weeks with some kind of creative format played without spectators. We will all be able to use the entertainment by then
Even when listening to pundits you can easily spot bias.

"You cant award Liverpool the title! Cancel the season!!"

Sure, maybe you cant just award Liverpool the title and if it came to that I wouldnt even want it. They earned it, but if they have to earn it again then so be it.

But when you see people's major complaints about the EPL season right now being centred around Liverpool winning the title or not it becomes really easy to dismiss them as idiots.

Liverpool being awarded the title is the easiest part about this entire scenario. It would have taken a mathematical miracle to have prevented it and nobody could make a coherent case against it. And it doesnt much matter either way.

The real issues are the CL spots, the EL spots, the Promotion/Relegation spots, those are the actual, real hard decisions.

If they cancel everything then as holders they can award Liverpool the Champions' League Trophy again because nobody else won it and they can hand the PL Trophy back to City again while they're being indicted for Fraud.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #1756
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I think most rational people know Liverpool would win the title. Like you say, it's basically everything else that's the problem. Who gets the CL spots? Who gets relegated or promoted? Those things are basically impossible to decide fairly in my opinion. And those are enormous decisions because they are so impactful to those involved. The decision as to whether Liverpool is awarded the title really isn't though. The only thing interesting about that is the inevitable meltdown of Liverpool supporters of the season is voided. But really, everyone knows they win/won and it's not going to change anything for them.

Personally, I really think they have to void the season though. The solution is probably to play a season next year with an extra few teams (still promote) and then re-even it out at the end of next year (promote 3, relegate 6). I don't know about the CL spots. I don't think they should just give them to the teams who had them last year. I also don't think a team like Sheffield United should get shafted because United played an extra game (not to mention different opponents). It's really difficult!
Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #1757
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

cancelling/voiding the season makes zero sense to me. It will be difficult to find a fair solution for everyone, but that just seems like the worst option available to me.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #1758
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
cancelling/voiding the season makes zero sense to me. It will be difficult to find a fair solution for everyone, but that just seems like the worst option available to me.
I would just go old school - like at the Euros in 1960 (?) - flip coins to decide everything.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #1759
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I would just go old school - like at the Euros in 1960 (?) - flip coins to decide everything.
Considering that Sports as a concept has been cancelled we should just have a Coin-Toss World Cup.

A bunch of people in Hazmat suits wearing their National Team jersey overtop playing the World Cup by coin-toss.

"Oh! What cruel fate! The unwieldy and thick gloves of the Netherlands have cost them another Championship!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #1760
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Considering that Sports as a concept has been cancelled we should just have a Coin-Toss World Cup.

A bunch of people in Hazmat suits wearing their National Team jersey overtop playing the World Cup by coin-toss.

"Oh! What cruel fate! The unwieldy and thick gloves of the Netherlands have cost them another Championship!!"
I feel like Canada has a real chance this time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: