Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #121
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #122
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Personally, I'd argue that Boedker was a good signing but that's neither here nor there.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #123
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Personally, I'd argue that Boedker was a good signing but that's neither here nor there.
I don't know, he went from 0.64 PPG ($3.75M) and 0.62 PPG ($2.55M) prior to signing with SJ to 0.41 PPG average with the Sharks with a 4 x $4M contract.

Seemed like the consensus is that trading Boedker to Ottawa was considered a smart salary dump.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #124
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I don't know, he went from 0.64 PPG ($3.75M) and 0.62 PPG ($2.55M) prior to signing with SJ to 0.41 PPG average with the Sharks with a 4 x $4M contract.

Seemed like the consensus is that trading Boedker to Ottawa was considered a smart salary dump.
I think a lot of that was just a rough first season of adjustment to a new team after spending most of his career with one. He seemed to rebound well enough last year but maybe I'm just remembering his team beating down the Flames over and over at the end of last year.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #125
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I think a lot of that was just a rough first season of adjustment to a new team after spending most of his career with one. He seemed to rebound well enough last year but maybe I'm just remembering his team beating down the Flames over and over at the end of last year.
Well... he had 0 pts in 3 games vs Calgary last year despite the Sharks scoring 15 against us!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #126
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Well... he had 0 pts in 3 games vs Calgary last year despite the Sharks scoring 15 against us!
Well, this is what relying on anecdotes off the top of your head gets you. Now I look foolish.

Still, 37 points in 74 games isn't necessarily something to sniff at.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #127
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best of Luck to Brouwer...

Hopefully he can endear himself to his new teammates by not standing up for them and always having outlet passes bounce off his stick and straight to the opposing d-man.

He really did work on those two things a LOT in calgary
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #128
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Has any player ever been bought out of a 1 year contract?

Is this really a serious question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #129
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was a horrible signing.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Well, this is what relying on anecdotes off the top of your head gets you. Now I look foolish.

Still, 37 points in 74 games isn't necessarily something to sniff at.
It is for 4x4mil.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:00 AM   #131
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly Brouwer for 850k is not a bad thing at all. His cap hit was the only issue, if we signed him for similar deal noone would complain about him.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #132
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Honestly Brouwer for 850k is not a bad thing at all. His cap hit was the only issue, if we signed him for similar deal noone would complain about him.
Oh I think you know that's not true.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:33 AM   #133
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

i still can't make heads or tails of this.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 AM   #134
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Is this really a serious question?

I know I'm blue collar, but no not serious.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #135
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. If Brouwer was an effective bottom 6 player, he would probably still be a Flame. Florida is a budget team and I doubt they will want to pay an NHL salary to a player in the AHL. Brouwer will be in their opening day lineup. Which means they will be playing an AHL-level player in the NHL.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #136
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I disagree. If Brouwer was an effective bottom 6 player, he would probably still be a Flame. Florida is a budget team and I doubt they will want to pay an NHL salary to a player in the AHL. Brouwer will be in their opening day lineup. Which means they will be playing an AHL-level player in the NHL.
This. It took a lot to decide to keep Brouwer on the books for the next 4 years. Can't imagine the team wouldn't have preferred keeping him one more year if he could have been a serviceable bottom line player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #137
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This. It took a lot to decide to keep Brouwer on the books for the next 4 years. Can't imagine the team wouldn't have preferred keeping him one more year if he could have been a serviceable bottom line player.
I don't know about that. Even if there's no drop off between him and, say Lazar and a rookie like Foo, Klimchuk, Mangiapane or a guy like Hathaway, that $4M is going to be needed if there's a long term Hanifin deal.

Depending on the task, I think that Brouwer is still a better player than at least some of the kids. But he is way too expensive given the Flames' current cap situation and needs, and he is getting in the way of development. I've always been someone who said that, once signed, salary was not an issue unless a cap crunch occurred. Well, here it is, and the prospect development aspect is not insignificant issue.

For a team like Fla, getting Brouwer as a fill-in at that price isn't a bad move. That salary can be buried if necessary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #138
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sometimes players need a fresh start.

Brouwer at $850k on the Flames is not a good deal. He was done here an nothing could revive his career save a trade.

Brouwer at $850k in Florida might be a good deal. If he regains his form (decent possibility) he will be effective. If he provides leadership to a young club, that is a bonus.

In other words, Brouwer is not an effective 4th liner on the Flames at any price. He may be serviceable in Florida.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #139
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is better than some of the kids, but there isn't room in the lineup for him, even at $850k.

After the top 9, we have: Ryan, Czarnik, Rychel, Lazar and Hathaway.

He is arguably better than Hathaway, but at least Hathaway provides grit. Can it be argued that he would improve the 4th line? I certainly don't think so. SO we're talking 13th or 14th forward.

Then there are the kids: Mangiapane, Dube and Foo. While it can certainly be argued that he is better than them (at the moment), is he valuable enough that you would want to add him to the roster, putting another body in their way? I don't think so.

I would prefer to see if one of them can step up to the next level. If so, I would rather them than Brouwer. But even if not, he doesn't improve the prior group.

So, no - I wouldn't take him at $850k.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #140
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, no, he doesn't bring anything that is lacking based on the moves Tre made this summer. He isn't better than the younger guys on the team. I don't care if he played 7 minutes a night or even 5, I would still bitch every time he was on the ice because he is slow, has zero offense and does not provide any positives IMO.

Glad he is gone. Stating that people wouldn't complain about him at 850k is silly after what we have witnessed over the last 2 seasons.