Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #61
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because I'm not apart of the community, and have no idea what they have been through, I guess I just have to take them at their word when they say:

http://www.calgarypride.ca/press-rel...cipation-2017/

It's their parade, if they don't feel comfortable with uniformed officers marching beside them given past interactions, well, I'll take them at their word and say that's up to them.
I'm with you on that as I have no idea and basically just have to take their word for it. It is weird that this was never an issue in the years prior though, and there is seemingly no issue with the uniformed officers being there to provide security. But truthfully it doesn't matter to me in the least. It's their parade and I hope it goes well for them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because I'm not apart of the community, and have no idea what they have been through, I guess I just have to take them at their word when they say:

http://www.calgarypride.ca/press-rel...cipation-2017/

It's their parade, if they don't feel comfortable with uniformed officers marching beside them given past interactions, well, I'll take them at their word and say that's up to them.
I suppose, I just find it unreasonable that it appears CPS is taking blame for things they never did.

Homosexuals have historically been oppressed by Law Enforcement. Except not here as far as I can tell.

So they in turn want the Law Enforcement here, who apparently have done them little harm, to accept blame for things everywhere else that they had no part of or responsibility for?

CPS has their problems but this seems ridiculous.

I would think that I would want my local Law Enforcement on board and on the side of my community rather than alienating them over transgressions that occurred somewhere else by someone else.

If this parade were happening in LA or somewhere similar then my opinion would be different, but its not, so it isnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #63
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I suppose, I just find it unreasonable that it appears CPS is taking blame for things they never did.

Homosexuals have historically been oppressed by Law Enforcement. Except not here as far as I can tell.

So they in turn want the Law Enforcement here, who apparently have done them little harm, to accept blame for things everywhere else that they had no part of or responsibility for?

CPS has their problems but this seems ridiculous.

I would think that I would want my local Law Enforcement on board and on the side of my community rather than alienating them over transgressions that occurred somewhere else by someone else.

If this parade were happening in LA or somewhere similar then my opinion would be different, but its not, so it isnt.
Again, this is not strictly about the treatment of the gay community, but about treatment of others minorities of which members of the gay community are a part.

Either way, the "I haven't seen it, so it must not exist" line of reasoning is as weak as they come. You're letting your personal experience decide the legitimacy of the experiences of others, and that's no way to understanding. Go have a conversation with people who have different experiences than your own, or take the easy route and just listen to the actual statements made by groups representing some of these people to get a clue that their experience might not match yours.

Based on the statements by Pride, the CPS, and Voice, combined with the clear road to institutional representation occurring again as early as next year,, comments revolving around officers being "alienated" and "demonised" seems like grandstanding and not representative of the feelings of CPS, or the situation in general.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Again, this is not strictly about the treatment of the gay community, but about treatment of others minorities of which members of the gay community are a part.

Either way, the "I haven't seen it, so it must not exist" line of reasoning is as weak as they come. You're letting your personal experience decide the legitimacy of the experiences of others, and that's no way to understanding. Go have a conversation with people who have different experiences than your own, or take the easy route and just listen to the actual statements made by groups representing some of these people to get a clue that their experience might not match yours.

Based on the statements by Pride, the CPS, and Voice, combined with the clear road to institutional representation occurring again as early as next year,, comments revolving around officers being "alienated" and "demonised" seems like grandstanding and not representative of the feelings of CPS, or the situation in general.
Can you read?

Quote:
We live in Calgary, I'm not aware of CPS clearing out any Homosexual ghettos or anything. I must be missing their abuses of the Gay community because there must be some,
Evidently not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #65
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

So should the Stampede Parade ban uniformed officers because of historical and ongoing mistreatment of aboriginals by the police?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #66
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
So should the Stampede Parade ban uniformed officers because of historical and ongoing mistreatment of aboriginals by the police?
Wouldn't you ban "white people and their ilk" dressing up like cowboys first?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #67
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That is so shortsighted its actually shocking.

Bully? Okay, the CPS' record probably isnt all Gold Stars and Perfect Attendance, but they havent exactly been executing pogroms against homosexuals that I'm aware of.

Maybe they havent been all that nice to homosexuals, but I'm unaware of any evidence to that either.

It seems to me that the CPS, with all their acknowledged warts, are being determined as 'Guilty by Association' as all Law Enforcement everywhere.

We live in Calgary, I'm not aware of CPS clearing out any Homosexual ghettos or anything. I must be missing their abuses of the Gay community because there must be some, but again, it seems like they're being attributed the faults of other Law Enforcement Organizations.
I actually do expect all gold stars. Along with what Pepsi says much better than I could, this happened like a year and a half ago...

https://cbc-ca-yahoopartner.tumblr.c...d%2F%3Asummary

It's also just fundamentally backwards for me to punch you in the face and then say "quit being a jerk and invite me over for dinner so I can apologize". And I'm not convinced the number of cops wanting to march out number the ones who think it's ok to eat your dinner, slap your wife on the ass and tease your gay son when he goes out to play with his gay friends.

The two minority friends I have both have had horrible experiences with cps. I had an off duty cop threaten to fabricate a charge against me about three years ago. That kind of treatment bothers the hell out of me.

You may never have a single problem with the police, but if you do just one time, your whole perspective changes.

People are acting like this is harming relations with the lgbtq community and minorities in general. That is so f'ed up it's unbelievable. We have to let cops march in a parade in order to be treated fairly and have our rights respected? How about they just do what other normal people do.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #68
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Didn't this whole thing start because BLM bullied one the pride parades into banning cops?
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a preemptive move to keep BLM from highjacking the event.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #69
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Here are some quotes for an article for those that want to hear some actual statements from Pride and CPS on the issue.
Of course they're going to say they agreed to it: they were likely given a choice between participate on pride's terms or don't participate at all.

Add me to the crowd who think that reinforcing an "us vs. them" mentality with regards to law enforcement is regressive. Build bridges, not fences.

While negative interactions with law enforcement can lead to negative perception of law enforcement, it is also true that a negative perception of law enforcement can contribute to negative interactions with law enforcement.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I actually do expect all gold stars. Along with what Pepsi says much better than I could, this happened like a year and a half ago...

https://cbc-ca-yahoopartner.tumblr.c...d%2F%3Asummary

It's also just fundamentally backwards for me to punch you in the face and then say "quit being a jerk and invite me over for dinner so I can apologize". And I'm not convinced the number of cops wanting to march out number the ones who think it's ok to eat your dinner, slap your wife on the ass and tease your gay son when he goes out to play with his gay friends.

The two minority friends I have both have had horrible experiences with cps. I had an off duty cop threaten to fabricate a charge against me about three years ago. That kind of treatment bothers the hell out of me.

You may never have a single problem with the police, but if you do just one time, your whole perspective changes.

People are acting like this is harming relations with the lgbtq community and minorities in general. That is so f'ed up it's unbelievable. We have to let cops march in a parade in order to be treated fairly and have our rights respected? How about they just do what other normal people do.
First of all, that delved into some dark territory, but secondly, dont you think that this presents an opportunity?

This is my overall problem: CPS is taking heat for the actions of Law Enforcement in General. Thats unacceptable. As is Law Enforcement treating Homosexuals, frankly, any different than anyone else.

But at the end of the day is not the whole point of the Pride Parade to generate an atmosphere and acceptance, understanding and reconciliation?

To stand and say:

"We're going to denigrate you to make a point about how unacceptable actions were that were committed by people with whom you are vaguely associated against people with whom we're vaguely associated."

Isnt that nuts?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #71
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

There have been dozens of members of the LGBT community that have come out on social media and in the news stating that they are boycotting the Pride parade, since they feel the Police have made tremendous progress interacting with the LGBT community over the last decade. It sounds like this decision by the Pride Festival organizers is doing far more damage, in terms of internal strife, than it is for relations with the Police Service.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
There have been dozens of members of the LGBT community that have come out on social media and in the news stating that they are boycotting the Pride parade, since they feel the Police have made tremendous progress interacting with the LGBT community over the last decade. It sounds like this decision by the Pride Festival organizers is doing far more damage, in terms of internal strife, than it is with the Police Service.
The CPS seems to be working to mend fences and the Pride Parade arent letting them. Good luck with that.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #73
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

City Councillor Diane Colley-Urquhart said Thursday she won’t march in the Calgary Pride Parade unless a decision to bar uniformed officers from participating is reversed.

Urquhart said she’s calling on Calgarians to “put pressure” on organizers following Wednesday’s announcement, which she claims “flies in the face of everything they stand for as a community.”

Mayor Naheed Nenshi has also expressed his disappointment, pointing to the ongoing efforts from Calgary police to work with diverse communities.

“I know a lot of them are disappointed because they feel their hard work in working with LGBTQ communities is being denigrated by global trends,” he said. “And I think that’s really a shame.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3629899/ca...e-not-toronto/
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post

City Councillor Diane Colley-Urquhart said Thursday she won’t march in the Calgary Pride Parade unless a decision to bar uniformed officers from participating is reversed.

Urquhart said she’s calling on Calgarians to “put pressure” on organizers following Wednesday’s announcement, which she claims “flies in the face of everything they stand for as a community.”

Mayor Naheed Nenshi has also expressed his disappointment, pointing to the ongoing efforts from Calgary police to work with diverse communities.

“I know a lot of them are disappointed because they feel their hard work in working with LGBTQ communities is being denigrated by global trends,” he said. “And I think that’s really a shame.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3629899/ca...e-not-toronto/
Blaming people for things they didnt do isnt cool and in other news: "Water is wet."

More at 11.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #75
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This is the crux of everything, isn't it? What are you willing to do to fix that, which seems to be a problem with the general 'you'?

I used to live in the States. I got into a single motor vehicle accident. My car slid off the road and into a tree, knocking some bark off of it.

The small-town cop who responded was, frankly, an @$$hole to me and my wife at the time. Gave me the third degree, and offered to do everything he could in his power to help the homeowner sue me for damaging his property, if the homeowner wanted. The homeowner said that he was more worried about how me and my wife were (she hit her head on the windshield, cracking it) than about some dumb tree of his. The cop couldn't believe it, and asked him if he was really, really sure, then ended up giving me $500 worth of tickets (on top of my car being a write-off).

I could have let that color my experience with police my entire life (I've had a couple run ins with them previously, too) but I haven't. But according to your statement, I should hate every cop I see from now until I die, no?

I find that a lot of problems of perception come from folks lumping every single cop in North America into some blue amalgam "cop pool", when the truth is quite a bit different.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #76
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi is bang on with his comments.

May be the first time i've had reason to compliment his efforts since his actions during the Flood.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #77
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing is, "they" (Pride exec) don't speak for everyone. In conversations, my daughter has yet to meet a single person in her community who feels this is a good thing - they are all pissed about it. But, short of replacing the entire exec....

The Pride parade exec has had some wobbles in the past few years, and have asked exec members to step down because of it. I think they should reconsider this step. But, they have their first paid director in place now so who knows? Can't have him step out quite as easily as they've turfed other exec members in other instances.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #78
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is probably a really stupid question, but:

Why is it a big deal the police not wear their uniforms? Why is dressing as a civilian, or better yet, a hilarious pride costume, not the default dress code?

I think the stampede police harley's and fire trucks are cool and everything, but why if they want to march in the parade, why does wearing the uniform matter so much? Everyone knows what cops look like while they are on duty. Maybe showing up in a pair of cargo shorts and a hard rock t-shirt might be good for their image as well?

What's CPS reaction to this, are they insisting on uniforms? I don't get it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #79
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is probably a really stupid question, but:

Why is it a big deal the police not wear their uniforms? Why is dressing as a civilian, or better yet, a hilarious pride costume, not the default dress code?

I think the stampede police harley's and fire trucks are cool and everything, but why if they want to march in the parade, why does wearing the uniform matter so much? Everyone knows what cops look like while they are on duty. Maybe showing up in a pair of cargo shorts and a hard rock t-shirt might be good for their image as well?

What's CPS reaction to this, are they insisting on uniforms? I don't get it.
The Police offered to Officially Support Homosexuals.

And they said 'No.'

Old 07-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #80
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Well I can't really speak for the police or the gay community but I would guess it has something to do with openly gay cops being out of the closet. I can't imagine a cop would want to come out as openly gay even 10 years ago. Attitudes have changed across society but I'm guessing that getting acceptance from the cops, military, firefighters, etc was tougher than other occupations with less testosterone.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post: