Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #181
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
From looking around at a couple articles about it, it is. EPS had agreed with them, and had a presence this year as well as a booth...all with people not in uniform. That is now not good enough, and they are not being invited back. So yes, this is an escalation step
Again, no, it’s not (in the grand scheme of things). As I said, this simply mirrors the decisions of YYC, Toronto, and Vancouver in the past year banning institutional representation. Maybe you misunderstood what this thread was started on, but it was YYC Pride banning institutional representation (including an official presence, booth, floats, etc).

So this is not an escalation, it’s YEG mirroring other Pride decisions, including the one this thread was started on. Saying “now being out of uniform isn’t good enough” is a disingenuous bump of this thread. Being out of uniform alone wasn’t good enough in Calgary last year either.

As always, all members of these organisations are welcome to march as citizens.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #182
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Again, no, it’s not (in the grand scheme of things). As I said, this simply mirrors the decisions of YYC, Toronto, and Vancouver in the past year banning institutional representation. Maybe you misunderstood what this thread was started on, but it was YYC Pride banning institutional representation (including an official presence, booth, floats, etc).

So this is not an escalation, it’s YEG mirroring other Pride decisions, including the one this thread was started on. Saying “now being out of uniform isn’t good enough” is a disingenuous bump of this thread. Being out of uniform alone wasn’t good enough in Calgary last year either.

As always, all members of these organisations are welcome to march as citizens.
Ah, I get the difference/my confusion now. Edmonton was actually being more progressive than Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver, by allowing institutional representation (aside from a float) as long as the people running that didn't wear uniforms, and is now taking a step backwards.

Thanks for the clarity.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #183
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Sure, view it however you’d like. Not much else to say, as we two are not without our biases on each side lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #184
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing is weird to me. The organizers of these parades won't let police in them, or the UCP in Alberta, but the point is that they're pushing for greater inclusion and acceptance no matter who people are?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #185
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since when has the pride parade been about inclusion?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #186
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Since when has the pride parade been about inclusion?
Maybe I'm off base, but isn't that the underlying point? Love whoever you please, love conquers all and that kind of thing? That's inclusion to me, unless I'm misunderstanding?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #187
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe I'm off base, but isn't that the underlying point? Love whoever you please, love conquers all and that kind of thing? That's inclusion to me, unless I'm misunderstanding?
I guess if you remove any semblance of LGBTQ culture from it.

That just kind of takes away from the point of it though. You can march in it and believe in the things you mentioned, but it’s worth knowing the background and the actual point of pride organisations across the world.

The parade itself takes on different meanings and moods depending on where it’s held (and how accepting that city or country is), but there’s a history of activism and strength in it that shouldn’t be lost in my opinion. A pride parade with a purpose no greater than “love conquers all” isn’t a pride parade worth having, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #188
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

I think it's probably good to remember what was going on in the news last year before Pride...

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...o-police-chief

It's been mentioned several times that being inclusive of this sort of thing is ironic at best and completely hypocritical at worst.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote