Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #3481
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
According to HF Bennett would not even crack the Marlies (yes, this is a thing that was actually said).

Reading that site you'd think the Leafs and Oilers were up and coming dynasties the likes of which we haven't seen since the 1970s Habs and 1990s Red Wings.
Reading this site I would think Bennett must be on an amazing upwards trajectory...improving year after year. Oh, he has ZERO points this season after a brutal previous season. Ok, Marner for him sounds great! Or your 7-year older soon to be PAID Dman Brodie is enough for a 20 year old 61 point rookie. Read these posts on CP before bashing other fans. You know that whole stones and glass houses thing.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #3482
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #3483
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Reading this site I would think Bennett must be on an amazing upwards trajectory...improving year after year. Oh, he has ZERO points this season after a brutal previous season. Ok, Marner for him sounds great! Or your 7-year older soon to be PAID Dman Brodie is enough for a 20 year old 61 point rookie. Read these posts on CP before bashing other fans. You know that whole stones and glass houses thing.
I'm not certain the Flames would trade Brodie straight across for Marner so there's always that. It took an established scorer like Hall to get Larsson and I would consider Brodie an all around better defender and Marner isn't nearly as accomplished as Hall. Brodie is also on a great contract. Brodie would instantly become the Leafs best defensemen.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-27-2017 at 06:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #3484
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha this thread.

Marner is on the 4th line so that means the Leafs want to trade him. Nylander was on the 4th line for a while last season. It's what Babcock does.

The Leafs are not trading any of Matthews, Nylander, or Marner. You get players like that you don't let them go.
So you're going to have 26M + tied up in 3 forwards and not address your defence which is below average?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #3485
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not certain the Flames would trade Brodie straight across for Marner so there's always that. It took an established scorer like Hall to get Larsson and I would consider Brodie an all around better defender and Marner isn't nearly as accomplished as Hall. Brodie is also on a great contract. Brodie would instantly become the Leafs best defensemen.

Larsson and Hall are so similar in age. Brodie is 7 years older and in 3 years will need to sign a new contract where he will want to get a lot of money.

So Leafs sign Marner for let's say a similar cap-hit to Brodie. But they have him in his prime pre-30.

Brodie is signing something similar but it is post-30s and he is in decline.

You can't just say well Oilers traded Hall for Larsson so this is similar. Plus that was a bad trade at the time and is looking worse.

Last edited by savemedrzaius; 10-27-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #3486
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
So you're going to have 26M + tied up in 3 forwards and not address your defence which is below average?
Yes. With players like this you sign them and work around them.

Don't you guys have 10M tied up in your 4th line this season?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #3487
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Larsson and Hall are so similar in age. Brodie is 7 years older and in 3 years will need to sign a new contract where he will want to get a lot of money.

So Leafs sign Marner for let's say a similar cap-hit to Brodie. But they have him in his prime pre-30.

Brodie is signing something similar but it is post-30s and he is in decline.

You can't just say well Oilers traded Hall for Larsson so this is similar. Plus that was a bad trade at the time and is looking worse.
Brodie is only 27. Seeing he's a great skater he should be able to play at a high level at the very least to 35. Giordano is 34 and still one of the best defensemen in the league. The Leafs window is probably sooner than later as once those young players get paid the team will be top heavy like the Oilers. They probably need to take a run in the next four years and Brodie will still be in his prime those years. You aren't going to get a younger guy like Hamilton for anyone on the Leafs roster outside of Matthews.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #3488
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If Lou Lam and the entire Leafs organization temporarily lost their collective minds and offered Marner for Brodie then you could be pretty sure the Flames would accept that deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #3489
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure where the reasoning is here. The Hall-Larsson trade worked out great for Edmonton. It stabilized a horrible back end. Toronto is in a very similar position at this moment.

Also, playing a scoring winger on the 4th line is a message that the coach doesn't trust the player. It absolutely means that if one of the 3 core players are to be traded to make the team better, Marner's the guy.

And you need to give to get. There are only a few assets on the Leaf team that will garner a game changing return, and Bozak and JVR are not those guys.

Maybe they will be happy trading some middling guys and hoping for a defense by committee situation. It's worked before, and as I mentioned above, Clayton Stoner is available. The Leafs already have Polak to improve things for them. That's one way to go.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #3490
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm not sure where the reasoning is here. The Hall-Larsson trade worked out great for Edmonton. It stabilized a horrible back end. Toronto is in a very similar position at this moment.

Also, playing a scoring winger on the 4th line is a message that the coach doesn't trust the player. It absolutely means that if one of the 3 core players are to be traded to make the team better, Marner's the guy.

And you need to give to get. There are only a few assets on the Leaf team that will garner a game changing return, and Bozak and JVR are not those guys.

Maybe they will be happy trading some middling guys and hoping for a defense by committee situation. It's worked before, and as I mentioned above, Clayton Stoner is available. The Leafs already have Polak to improve things for them. That's one way to go.
First bolded part..last time I checked the Oilers still suck when it comes to defense but now they also look not so hot when it comes to scoring because they have traded all their secondary scoring away. When it comes to the BIG 3..Matthews is getting a lot. Like close to McDavid money. Nylander and Marner will depend on how things go. But I don't think teams with be giving out stupid contracts like the Oilers did to Drai. People will look at Pasta and Ehlers contracts as comparables. You lock those 3 up and build around them. Leafs have some promising D prospects. I think nowadays in today's NHL you can't be trading star players to fill holes. You keep your stars and fill the holes whatever way you can. Pens won the cup with trash D-pairings. Leafs forwards need to play better defensively and then the Leafs D won't look so bad.

Second part..it has nothing to do with Babcock not trusting him and more to do with getting a 20-year old kid's mojo back. Put him on the 4th line with his BFF and try and get things to like how they were before. And I say it looks like it worked because the last 2 games he has looked like his old self. He will be back on a new line hopefully without JVR who is the real problem for the Leafs. Like I said, Babcock did the exact same thing with Nylander last year and all the morons on TSN said Nylander was going to get traded. Didn't exactly work out like that though. Now he is on the first line and looks dangerous every game.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #3491
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie is grossly overrated by flames fans. He had one amazing year under Hartley but has never looked even close to that player since.

I'd trade him for Marner, heck, I'd trade him for less. His value will just continue to fall as it becomes clear his average play is the norm not the exception.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #3492
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Brodie has been the Flames' best defenseman this year and is on track to shatter his offensive career-highs.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #3493
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, half of his points were in 1 game.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 PM   #3494
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
If Lou Lam and the entire Leafs organization temporarily lost their collective minds and offered Marner for Brodie then you could be pretty sure the Flames would accept that deal.
No the Flames would not. In your opinion pretty well every Flame is garbage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #3495
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

a D man like Brodie has massive value...if you don't think so you haven't been watching the NHL for very long

Puck moving top four dman that can skate...massive value

Hall/Larsson is a good comparable...
Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #3496
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Brodie is grossly overrated by flames fans. He had one amazing year under Hartley but has never looked even close to that player since.

I'd trade him for Marner, heck, I'd trade him for less. His value will just continue to fall as it becomes clear his average play is the norm not the exception.
I would say he's overrated by some and underrated by others. He was very good for a few seasons playing on the right hand side with Gio but then a new coach comes in and puts him on the left hand side and pairs him for an entire season with either Dennis Wideman (out of the league) and Mark Stone (bottom pairing defensemen). This season he's been paired with Hamonic who quite frankly hasn't been very good most nights. You can argue he's been dragged down by some pretty mediocre/poor partners and despite that he still manages to play at a decent level overall. Pair him with someone decent and you will have a very good top unit.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #3497
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Brodie has been the Flames' best defenseman this year and is on track to shatter his offensive career-highs.
No. Gio has been and has dragged around the corpse of Hamilton as well. Brodie has been pretty good though with some bad games sprinkled in.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #3498
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say he's overrated by some and underrated by others. He was very good for a few seasons playing on the right hand side with Gio but then a new coach comes in and puts him on the left hand side and pairs him for an entire season with either Dennis Wideman (out of the league) and Mark Stone (bottom pairing defensemen). This season he's been paired with Hamonic who quite frankly hasn't been very good most nights. You can argue he's been dragged down by some pretty mediocre/poor partners and despite that he still manages to play at a decent level overall. Pair him with someone decent and you will have a very good top unit.
Really? I think he's been pretty solid back there. He's quiet and you don't notice him much, but he plays a tough shutdown game. Considering he's still adjusting to a new team and system I'd say he's been a pretty good investment.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #3499
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Really? I think he's been pretty solid back there. He's quiet and you don't notice him much, but he plays a tough shutdown game. Considering he's still adjusting to a new team and system I'd say he's been a pretty good investment.
I'm cutting him some slack because it seems that it takes about 40 games for players to grasp Gulutzan's system (if they ever do) but I think he's been very average at best as I can think of maybe two games where he stood out as having a good game. He wasn't very good last season for the Islanders so maybe he's just not that great and the Flames bought high for an overrated player? Wouldn't be the first time a team overpaid for a player that wasn't as good as the hype.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:50 PM   #3500
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
hamonic plays an awful gap defensively. He's basically a big, strong, less fast Kris Russell.

I do like Hamonic's game at the other end though.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Closed Thread