Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #2681
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I disagree heavily with discrediting other CP user opinions based on their age.
I am not discrediting him, I am stating a fact. There have been multiple better Flames prospects overall than Thomas Chabot. It is not a valid statement if time is not mentioned.

Last edited by Since1984; 09-21-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #2682
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Chabot's a great prospect with a high upside but can't believe this top pairing franchise D man discussion I'm seeing.

There was a list of top 100 prospects posted a couple pages back, Chabot ended up third on that list but it's a fairly poor list, not in rankings mind you but in the quality of prospects at the moment. 2017 didn't have star quality and most of the top guys from 2016 and 2015 are already in the league so it leaves that list that has Charlie McAvoy as number one.. a fine prospect but not a star by any means IMO.

Someone above said he'd be one of the best prospects the Flames ever had. That's downright ridiculous.

Last edited by JFK; 09-21-2017 at 10:15 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #2683
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Who is Thomas Chabot?
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #2684
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
Who is Thomas Chabot?
I heard he is running for Mayor!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #2685
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hardly heard of any hype for Chabot before now.

Why are we suddenly offering any of our prospects for him lol.

Also point per game d-men are very rare in today's NHL. That's a very lofty prediction. He'd have to be among the top 2-3 scoring d-men in the league (only that many come close). Far more likely he misses that mark.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #2686
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thomas Chabot is my favourite and he's the best Dman to ever lace them up period.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #2687
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I heard that Chabot is predicted to record even more career NHL goals and assists than Rob Schremp. crazy, but at this point he's still just a prospect so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #2688
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yikes, wow. By saying that Chabot would be one of the best prospects the Flames have ever had, I didn't mean that he'd be better than MacInnis or anything. Since1984, I agree that there have definitely been multiple Flames prospects better than Chabot, hence why I didn't say that he'd be THE best prospect ever in the system. He'd be one of the top prospects the Flames have ever had in that his pedigree and hype are presently pretty much unrivalled for a player at his position in the current hockey landscape, and those prospects don't come around often. The Flames have had a few of those, including MacInnis, but not many.

Also, Since1984, who gives a #### about how old I am. I'd tell you to grow up but judging by your post, you evidently have a leg up on me in that department. So show it.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #2689
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chabot is being grossly overrated. Always tends to happen with these mid-first rounders from the CHL who have one good world juniors as 19 year olds. He's probably a lock to be a solid top 4 guy but I'm not sure that means he has some unreal potential. Kylington and Fox have more raw potential. Valimaki will probably be a similar type of "blue chipper" a year from now too. I really don't care about who is "the best prospect" ...once upon a time Dion Phaneuf was probably a better prospect than Mark Giordano, Tim Erixon was probably a better prospect than TJ Brodie, and Sven Baertschi was a better prospect than Johnny Gaudreau. All that matters is who becomes the best NHLer in retrospect.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #2690
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He'd be one of the top prospects the Flames have ever had in that his pedigree and hype are presently pretty much unrivalled for a player at his position in the current hockey landscape, and those prospects don't come around often.
This is ridiculous. Sorry dude, it's just insane. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Thomas Chabot, really?

The guy isn't even top three in his draft year. Chabot type prospects come around frequently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #2691
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chabot is like a tougher defensman version of Colborne. Also less Chabot more Jankowski talk please. And they should trade Chabot for Hanowski but it would have to happen now to make sense.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #2692
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

this thread sucks again.

nothing interesting to talk about, league wide, in terms of rumours?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #2693
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yikes, wow. By saying that Chabot would be one of the best prospects the Flames have ever had, I didn't mean that he'd be better than MacInnis or anything. Since1984, I agree that there have definitely been multiple Flames prospects better than Chabot, hence why I didn't say that he'd be THE best prospect ever in the system. He'd be one of the top prospects the Flames have ever had in that his pedigree and hype are presently pretty much unrivalled for a player at his position in the current hockey landscape, and those prospects don't come around often. The Flames have had a few of those, including MacInnis, but not many.

Also, Since1984, who gives a #### about how old I am. I'd tell you to grow up but judging by your post, you evidently have a leg up on me in that department. So show it.
I still disagree that he would be one of the best Prospects the Flames have ever had. I would put him outside the top 10 easily. But if you strictly mean by hype presented by the media then maybe? but hype means nothing to me.

Also I didn't mean for it to be a shade at your age, I meant that I would agree with you in the fact that he would be one of the Flames best Prospects if a timeline was applied IE the length of your life. I guess everyone, including you, took it as a shade at your age when all I meant was based on what you have publicly stated in this forum, Chabot could possibly be one of Calgary's top prospects since the day you were born. No offence meant in anyway, just making your post a little more accurate by adding reference to a time period.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #2694
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is what happens when people toss out grossly unrealistic trade proposals slanted toward the home team and get upset when people point it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #2695
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
this thread sucks again.

nothing interesting to talk about, league wide, in terms of rumours?
Well now that Jankowski most likely makes the team, CP is having trouble with conversation-starting.

We'll just discuss non-trade rumor topics in the trade rumors.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #2696
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I wonder if the Flames are watching the Josh Anderson situation in Columbus. According to McKenzie and Portzline the contract talks are going nowhere.

As a 23 year old 6'3'' 220lb right shooting RW that plays with some truculence he checks off some of the boxes the Flames need.

Don't think he will ever be the true #1 RW the Flames need but he could be the complementary type RW that could fill out the Monahan line.

The risks are that Anderson's 17 goal season with a 15% shooting percentage is another Bouma/Jooris like blip of a scoring outbreak and he will never reach that level again.

He could also be no better than Ferland, other than being a right shot. So acquisition cost combined with risk might be a non-starter.

Last edited by sureLoss; 09-21-2017 at 12:20 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #2697
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thank god for sureLoss
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #2698
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd take a flyer on him. All depends on cost. That Flames don't have too many readily available options that are much better. I don't know if we'll ever get a legit 1RW for that line (common to only have 1-2 top players on a top line), but a complimentary top 6 winger that can contribute to what the other two are doing will in itself give that line the ability to do what it needs to do from game to game which is produce.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-21-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #2699
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Thank god for sureLoss
Who's God are you thanking now? Im offended!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #2700
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson would be fit anywhere in n the regular lineup. But I think some kids need to fully poo the bed in the remaining preseason for Treliving to go shopping.
He has improved every season. And 30 points last year ain't bad at all
Closed Thread