Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #5141
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can air fryers just become the new microwaves? I could imagine an integrating with a hood fan working better, too. Google tells me there are microwaves with air fryer function built in, but I wonder if they're any good?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #5142
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Can air fryers just become the new microwaves? I could imagine an integrating with a hood fan working better, too. Google tells me there are microwaves with air fryer function built in, but I wonder if they're any good?
When I do my kitchen I'm getting the double wall oven, it seems like those combos can cover all sorts of cooking options, from microwave, to air fryer, to, uh, "air sous vide"? Then I'll do a modular cooktop with 2 gas burners and 2 induction. I just need to take out a wall first...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:26 PM   #5143
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lowes to Sell Canadian Operations to Private Equity

This really sucks. Lowes was by far my favorite between the Blue and Orange Tool stores. This isn't to say HD was bad, but it was just nice to have a place where the average DIY'er could go to get the other big brands not carried by HD (i.e. Grohe, Rev-a-Shelf, LeGrand, etc). Service has always been good to me at any of the actual Lowes stores (not Rona re-branded stores like Crowfoot , Signal Hill, or Macleod)

I could tell something was up a couple years ago when Lowes started to decline. In particular, stock was all over the map (admittedly supply chain snafus had everyone down), but worst of all for the last 2 years Lowes pricing seems to be about 10% higher than HD on a lot of things.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #5144
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ah that sucks.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #5145
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always sucks to lose choice(thoguh it sounds like they are sticking around as Lowes Canada, but owned by the same people who own Rona). But the different product brands were nice to have. Hopefully that sticks around, but I doubt it. Maybe Home Hardware will finally open a store in the city?
Old 11-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #5146
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Home Hardware stores are not what they used to be either unless they are dedicated building centres. The others should be called Home Decor.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #5147
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Home Hardware stores are not what they used to be either unless they are dedicated building centres. The others should be called Home Decor.
They just always seem to have brands I can't find in the city. I had to go to Cochrane just to grab a couple matching shingle bundles this summer. But I often see stuff they have that no one else does.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #5148
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I miss Chesney Home Hardware. There's been the odd niche thing that only shows up in my searches at Home Hardware and I'm not going to Okotoks or Airdrie or whatever.

After a few trips to Lowe's when they first arrived, I never found it all that compelling.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #5149
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Home Knick Knacks
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #5150
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

HH has a lot of good stuff. Fact of the matter is the "hardware" stock doesn't really amount to a lot of actual goods. Even in HD there's really only four aisles.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:47 AM   #5151
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, here's a dumb question for you home improvement pros ...

Purchased a house about a year ago. At the back door, there is a light switch plate with 3 switches. One of the switches controls the inside light in that area ... but I can't for the life of me figure out what the other two switches do.

They don't control any lights - inside or out. I've tried all of the outlets and they don't seem to control any of those either.

Is there any way to actually test what those switches do?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #5152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Ok, here's a dumb question for you home improvement pros ...

Purchased a house about a year ago. At the back door, there is a light switch plate with 3 switches. One of the switches controls the inside light in that area ... but I can't for the life of me figure out what the other two switches do.

They don't control any lights - inside or out. I've tried all of the outlets and they don't seem to control any of those either.

Is there any way to actually test what those switches do?

Thanks!
Have you taken the faceplate off to see if they are even wired? It could be a leftover from a previous reno, as finding a faceplate with 2 blanks and one switch opening could be tough. So instead of replacing the box with a smaller one, they just toss some unused switches. Mine was like that(but only 2 switches).

If they are wired, get a no-contact tester and see if the switched leg closes a circuit when turned on, it should energize if the circuit is complete. Sadly, soemtimes with old houses phantom wiring just exists and is harmless. This summer I opened walls, and one had a 14/2 wire exit the box, then re-enter, it was about a foot of wire, for no purpose other than over stuffing the box!

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-14-2022 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #5153
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you check both plugs in the outlet ?

Sometimes that split them and have one on the switch and the other live...

Is there a plug for Xmas lights in the Soffit ?
Old 11-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #5154
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep one will be an Xmas lighting plug in the soffit, not sure on the other. It may control a plug in the living room (if it's nearby) for a lamp.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #5155
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If they are wired, get a no-contact tester and see if the switched leg closes a circuit when turned on, it should energize if the circuit is complete. Sadly, sometimes with old houses phantom wiring just exists and is harmless. This summer I opened walls, and one had a 14/2 wire exit the box, then re-enter, it was about a foot of wire, for no purpose other than over stuffing the box!
Tell me more about this no-contact tester. I like scotty2hotty have a plate with 3 switched. Left = outside light; Middle = inside light; Right = notta. The switch is at the top of the stairs so it would make sense that it would operate the light at the bottom of the stairs (along with a switch at the bottom of the stairs).

Will this no-contact tester help me in determining if that's something it did? It's not necessary, but would make trips down to the basement slightly more convenient.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #5156
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Tell me more about this no-contact tester. I like scotty2hotty have a plate with 3 switched. Left = outside light; Middle = inside light; Right = notta. The switch is at the top of the stairs so it would make sense that it would operate the light at the bottom of the stairs (along with a switch at the bottom of the stairs).

Will this no-contact tester help me in determining if that's something it did? It's not necessary, but would make trips down to the basement slightly more convenient.
If you are not an electrician I consider a no-contact tester an essential piece of safety equipment for any electrical work. It just allows you to touch a wire to see if it is live or not. ALWAYS test on a known working circuit to confirm you didn't leave it on killing the battery...giving you a false indication the circuit isn't live. Ask me how I know.

For the non-working switch you will have to look at 3-way switch wiring to see if it is done properly(Google away). There are a few ways to do it, and my guess is whoever swapped in new switches at some pointed didn't replace it with a 3-way or wire it properly.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:43 PM   #5157
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One of the switches could also be going to the known interior light, but to turn off/on a low-speed ceiling mounted fan's motor. If you dismount the light fixture, you may see an extra set of wires in the octagon.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #5158
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The circuit breaker may also provide some clues if the electrician noted what the circuits were for.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:43 PM   #5159
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the 'huh' file: had a fireplace put in a year ago, and then I did the stone work. Last week it stopped working, and a service call was booked and I was dreading it cause I thought they gave us a dud and we'd have to rip it all out.

Turns out you have to change batteries in the receiver underneath the fireplace. I'm still not clear on why the thing's also plugged into an electrical socket underneath the unit. The 100+ page manual is actually just installation instructions written in engineerese.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #5160
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The 100+ page manual is actually just installation instructions written in engineerese.
The best language of them all