Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #3341
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Sorry it’s light jargon. Dumb Leds can only be one colour at a time. I prefer to work with pixels which can be individually controlled.

The app works great for that kit and integration into Alexa has been flawless.
I think you mean addressable?

For those of you with a smart home hub of some sort, I am a huge fan of this company. They are releasing a Zwave controller and addressable lightstrips.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-smart-led-strip/

This company makes really great products and has fantastic customer support. The president of the company replied to my support email on a Sunday that was in regards to a weird wiring setup I had.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #3342
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I think you mean addressable?

For those of you with a smart home hub of some sort, I am a huge fan of this company. They are releasing a Zwave controller and addressable lightstrips.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-smart-led-strip/

This company makes really great products and has fantastic customer support. The president of the company replied to my support email on a Sunday that was in regards to a weird wiring setup I had.
Yes addressable I wrote it that way to be more simple. I have a couple different controllers I use. For wifi controlled I use ESPixel Sticks they can come from a variety of sources and have general software. https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick

I use a pocket beagle based board for my wired lights. https://kulplights.com/product/k8-pb/

I use Falcon Player to automate everything and play together and I use x-lights to create sequences/scenes to provide the color programming.

http://www.falconchristmas.com/wiki/Falcon_FPP
https://xlights.org/
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 AM   #3343
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Yes addressable I wrote it that way to be more simple. I have a couple different controllers I use. For wifi controlled I use ESPixel Sticks they can come from a variety of sources and have general software. https://github.com/forkineye/ESPixelStick

I use a pocket beagle based board for my wired lights. https://kulplights.com/product/k8-pb/

I use Falcon Player to automate everything and play together and I use x-lights to create sequences/scenes to provide the color programming.

http://www.falconchristmas.com/wiki/Falcon_FPP
https://xlights.org/
All pretty cool stuff. It's amazing how far this stuff has come in a few years. About 4 years ago I had implemented a cheap RF controlled LED lightstrip as a TV backlight and used a Broadlink RM Pro to control it through Alexa. The integration was such that the Alexa skill on allowed for TV device types so I had to create a bunch of fake TV's, program button sequences into my fake TV remotes and I had to make one for each colour and lightstrip mode to turn them on and off, change colour as well as integrate them into routines and scenes.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #3344
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
All pretty cool stuff. It's amazing how far this stuff has come in a few years. About 4 years ago I had implemented a cheap RF controlled LED lightstrip as a TV backlight and used a Broadlink RM Pro to control it through Alexa. The integration was such that the Alexa skill on allowed for TV device types so I had to create a bunch of fake TV's, program button sequences into my fake TV remotes and I had to make one for each colour and lightstrip mode to turn them on and off, change colour as well as integrate them into routines and scenes.
Agreed! Now a 13 dollar part from china can control it with no problems. Pretty crazy. Unfortunately all my fancy controls don't have Alexa integration it seems like it is quite the coding project to make it happen.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #3345
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

NM can't get photos to load

Last edited by red sky; 12-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #3346
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If you view one of the photos on that site, right click on the photo and choose "Copy Image Address" and use that in the image tags.

I.e. don't use https://ibb.co/pPZgwjw but use https://i.ibb.co/KG7Yhxh/IMG-20201221-162958-2.jpg

EDIT: Very nice BTW!

Old 12-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #3347
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

So I ended up ripping off the face plate of the thermostat and it looks like I have an L1 as below. So it sounds like I'm out of luck for Ecobee and Nest? Any recommendations for a smarter thermostat?

http://imgur.com/gallery/4Fi2FrC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Yeah sorry, face plate is my first goal. I think the screws got over fastened, so I cant get them out. They appear to be holding the face plate in place. Short of breaking it, I think I'm out of luck. But thank you for the help!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #3348
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had trim installed around the windows and there was a bit of tearing of drywall paper where the the old trim was. Any idea for repairing before painting? There isn't a lot of room there to work with, basically 2 cm between between the dome window trim and the other window trim. Should I just paint it, or is it better to some mud there and take a sanding sponge, and then paint it?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #3349
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We had trim installed around the windows and there was a bit of tearing of drywall paper where the the old trim was. Any idea for repairing before painting? There isn't a lot of room there to work with, basically 2 cm between between the dome window trim and the other window trim. Should I just paint it, or is it better to some mud there and take a sanding sponge, and then paint it?
If it were me, I would probably put some primer on it, then mud/sand it. Mud directly on the paper sometimes goes horribly wrong.
Ahuch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 06:33 PM   #3350
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
If it were me, I would probably put some primer on it, then mud/sand it. Mud directly on the paper sometimes goes horribly wrong.
I think in retrospect, we should have asked the window installers to give us some time to patch things up prior to them installing the trim.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #3351
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t try to sand the paper. It will just pull it out and create a shredded mess. I’d cut it away with an exacto knife then fill with Dap DryDex, overlapping the cut line. Light sand with sanding block. Prime, then paint.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #3352
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Don’t try to sand the paper. It will just pull it out and create a shredded mess. I’d cut it away with an exacto knife then fill with Dap DryDex, overlapping the cut line. Light sand with sanding block. Prime, then paint.

I ordinarily would, but the region is really tight. I could maybe get a sanding sponge in edgewise. Are there tools that are slim enough to work in that limited space?
Old 12-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #3353
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You can buy the yellow plastic taping knives at any of the big box stores and cut them to width with tin snips.
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hungryhun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #3354
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could even use a paint stir stick in lieu of the mudding knife. Free and might be easier to adjust width (only because I could see the yellow knives snapping apart). Lay down some spackle/mud and then sand it to look decent.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #3355
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
So I ended up ripping off the face plate of the thermostat and it looks like I have an L1 as below. So it sounds like I'm out of luck for Ecobee and Nest? Any recommendations for a smarter thermostat?

http://imgur.com/gallery/4Fi2FrC
I cant help you as I don't specialize in low voltage stuff, but talk to an HVAC tech (aka tinbasher)
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #3356
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Could even use a paint stir stick in lieu of the mudding knife. Free and might be easier to adjust width (only because I could see the yellow knives snapping apart). Lay down some spackle/mud and then sand it to look decent.
Nah, they work just fine. My guys use them all the time in the industry to get into hard to work places. Allows you to apply just the right amount of mud and get it right the first time. The goal is to get it as smooth as you can before you sand. I will agree though that a paint stir stick is cheaper!
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hungryhun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #3357
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone have any solid advice on changing doors out? I'm on a mission to continue removing all the Oak in the house. The frames are all square and solid, my first thought is that I could just change the doors and not bother with pre-hung.

Doors themselves - I'd like to find something a little more solid as opposed to the typical hollow doors you find at Home Depot. Maybe Finger jointed wood instead of MDF/HDF?

I have a cheap-o Ryobi router, so I was thinking of buying one of those mortising templates for the hinges.

Anything else I should be aware of? It seems like painting the existing door frame might show the oak grain unless I use wood filler / sand which could be a nightmare in itself.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #3358
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone have any solid advice on changing doors out? I'm on a mission to continue removing all the Oak in the house. The frames are all square and solid, my first thought is that I could just change the doors and not bother with pre-hung.

Doors themselves - I'd like to find something a little more solid as opposed to the typical hollow doors you find at Home Depot. Maybe Finger jointed wood instead of MDF/HDF?

I have a cheap-o Ryobi router, so I was thinking of buying one of those mortising templates for the hinges.

Anything else I should be aware of? It seems like painting the existing door frame might show the oak grain unless I use wood filler / sand which could be a nightmare in itself.
Have you considered just painting the existing doors and frames? If you get a melamine paint it will fill very well, and provide a harder finish than regular paint. Just clean everything really well with tsp first.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #3359
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you considered just painting the existing doors and frames? If you get a melamine paint it will fill very well, and provide a harder finish than regular paint. Just clean everything really well with tsp first.
Unfortunately the previous owners had cats so a bunch of the doors have cat doors, which I'd like to get rid of.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #3360
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately the previous owners had cats so a bunch of the doors have cat doors, which I'd like to get rid of.
Ah, that is unfortunate. The melamine paint should still work well on the frames though, if you go that way. I just painted some pine with latex, and several coats still left some of the wood grain showing. I then grabbed some melamine and one coat covered it all up. It's a bit more expensive.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote