Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #2941
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Should I bring both the cold returns and warm vents down to floor level?
Ideally, yes.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:06 AM   #2942
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

As timun say, yes. Probably a bit more costly having them run to the floor but so worth it. Ceiling vents in a basement are common as it's easy just to tie into the existing duct work but getting them to the floor will make your basement temperature much more consistent and comfortable.

Cold air return in the ceiling is going to do nothing but pick up air that has already been warmed. Get them down on the floor where they will do the most good. Proper air circulation is most important in in the basement IMO.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #2943
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are people doing these days for subfloor in basement? The dimply stuff coupled with rigid foam?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #2944
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The HVAC guys I have in to put in a new furnace for the basement for a legal suite says they've changed their views on that lately, they now put the heat vents higher (above windows is where they're putting them in our basement).

His reasoning is if the vents are at the floor the warmer air is just going to rise anyway, so the benefit isn't that great, while bringing the ducts down to the floors is extra work and more importantly he said the more corners there are in a duct the harder it is for air to move through. So he said overall the slight benefit of bringing the heating vents down to the floor isn't worth it in his opinion.

Maybe this is a holy war in HVAC circles. Playstation vs Xbox. Tabs vs spaces. Coke vs Pepsi. Floor vents vs ceiling vents.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #2945
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What are people doing these days for subfloor in basement? The dimply stuff coupled with rigid foam?
You can get Dricore with rigid insulation integrated now. It's called Dricore R+.
https://dricore.com/products/dricore-subfloor-r/
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #2946
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The HVAC guys I have in to put in a new furnace for the basement for a legal suite says they've changed their views on that lately, they now put the heat vents higher (above windows is where they're putting them in our basement).

His reasoning is if the vents are at the floor the warmer air is just going to rise anyway, so the benefit isn't that great, while bringing the ducts down to the floors is extra work and more importantly he said the more corners there are in a duct the harder it is for air to move through. So he said overall the slight benefit of bringing the heating vents down to the floor isn't worth it in his opinion.

Maybe this is a holy war in HVAC circles. Playstation vs Xbox. Tabs vs spaces. Coke vs Pepsi. Floor vents vs ceiling vents.
Sounds like more work for them = faint reasoning to not do it.

The heat entering the room at the floor level and then rising is what causes convection and more even temperature throughout the room.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 08-25-2020 at 11:54 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #2947
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya that is absolutely absurd reasoning.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #2948
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have dricore in mine and it helps a lot, without it I think it would be much cooler in the fall/winter. It creates a bit of a gap when going from the furnace room (no subfloor) to the hall (subfloor) but still totally worth it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #2949
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I have dricore in mine and it helps a lot, without it I think it would be much cooler in the fall/winter. It creates a bit of a gap when going from the furnace room (no subfloor) to the hall (subfloor) but still totally worth it
I was thinking rolling out a product like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dmx...3953?rrec=true

Then laying 1" think rigid foam with R value of 5

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dur...1234?rrec=true

Then the plywood.

I suppose now I'm adding 2" of subfloor before I even lay the actual floor. Hmm.

I might do the cost calculation later to see whats more economical vs R-value.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #2950
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

At what point would just installing underfloor heat mats be the way to go? Or even a trenched in underfloor heating system to your existing concrete? You'd be losing like 3 or 4 inches of space in your basement with all that stuff. And wouldn't the dricor make the roll out moisture barrier irrelevant? Also I think your choice of flooring material would make a difference. I'm not sure I'd want to install tile over all those subfloors. Maybe over the 2" dricor but I'd feel like a decoupling membrane on top would be safer still. But then you'd just have cold tile. All this depends on your choice of flooring.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #2951
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

You could do that and it would likely be much cheaper than dricore. When I had the basement done they tried to talk me out of dricore saying it was really only useful if you have moisture issues (I don't). I disagree - the insulation from the cold concrete is worth it. It was installed with carpet....the other thing to mention is it has 9' ceilings so space wasn't an issue but in some basements it would be
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #2952
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
At what point would just installing underfloor heat mats be the way to go? Or even a trenched in underfloor heating system to your existing concrete? You'd be losing like 3 or 4 inches of space in your basement with all that stuff. And wouldn't the dricor make the roll out moisture barrier irrelevant? Also I think your choice of flooring material would make a difference. I'm not sure I'd want to install tile over all those subfloors. Maybe over the 2" dricor but I'd feel like a decoupling membrane on top would be safer still. But then you'd just have cold tile. All this depends on your choice of flooring.
Still very much just in planning stages. But the rolled out moisture barrier/rigid foam/plywood subfloor would be instead of dricore. I figure it's higher R-value and likely cheaper. I would then do carpet with traditional underlayment. My guess is I lose 2" of height pre-carpet.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #2953
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still very much just in planning stages. But the rolled out moisture barrier/rigid foam/plywood subfloor would be instead of dricore. I figure it's higher R-value and likely cheaper. I would then do carpet with traditional underlayment. My guess is I lose 2" of height pre-carpet.

I'm not sure but I think fastening the plywood on top of the rigid foam on top of the moisture barrier would be a nightmare...like 3 inch tapcons through everything into the concrete thus sort of nullifying the vapour barrier and permanently numbing your arm from hammer drilling. I think dricore is the way to go. People have done rigid foam and dricore. But you can also get carpet underlayment with vapour barrier and enhanced thermal break. I might go that route.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #2954
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking rolling out a product like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dmx...3953?rrec=true

Then laying 1" think rigid foam with R value of 5

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dur...1234?rrec=true

Then the plywood.

I suppose now I'm adding 2" of subfloor before I even lay the actual floor. Hmm.

I might do the cost calculation later to see whats more economical vs R-value.
Seems like a lot of steps honestly.

I put this in my last house prior to basement development and it was easily the best money spent on the entire project. (not cheap)

https://www.rona.ca/en/barricade-ins...02402-01925002

Temperature, foot feel, sound were all amazingly better - felt just like a main floor really.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #2955
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've done the many screws through XPS and plywood and it was not too bad. Worked with one other, one person pre-drilling spots and the other following with tapcons. Floor felt warm and solid after.

You will get (slightly) better but essentially the same R-value (3+) with 1/2" XPS, dimple roll and plywood than you get from the Dricore, and I have to think installing large sheets will create a better floor than a bunch of 2x2 squares. Fair point about the screws reducing R value, not sure how significant that would be.

I have never installed Dricore but it looks easy, considering the same options for my own basment finishing.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #2956
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't get on HD site right now but I'm pretty sure I know what you're propossing. I built a basement suite a few years back and the homeowner installed the flooring the way you are looking at, minus the insulation. The subfloor being gapped from the concrete by the dimpled plastic is pretty good at keeping the floor from being too cold. They put laminate on top. Saved some money over dricore and got the same effect. The only thing with layering materials yourself is there is no bond between them and you can gets some squeeks and sponginess in any spots where the concrete has uneveness.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #2957
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Perhaps in the dishwasher thread. Lowes carries Bosch. I got the 800 series through there. If you want a reliable supplier for service/support you could check with Jerome's Appliance Gallery. Ask for Marcus. I ordered a hoodfan through them and Marcus was amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Know him?

After decades dealing with essentially sub level effort from the majority of suppliers across the entire construction product industry, yes he stands out.
That fooshing sound isn't from the fan...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #2958
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That fooshing sound isn't from the fan...
Seems like the meat of the joke went up in smoke before it was served.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:47 PM   #2959
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I’m finally getting work done to replace damaged exterior from the June hailstorm.

So glad to get rid of the creamy pink vinyl siding.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #2960
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I’m finally getting work done to replace damaged exterior from the June hailstorm.

So glad to get rid of the creamy pink vinyl siding.
Are you getting vinyl siding again, or going with something more durable? I'm a big fan of LP SmartSide. I put it on my garage, and will be doing my house with it next year. Hail wouldn't make a dent in it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote