Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I will only be impressed if they manage to have a Simpsons Naruto cross over.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would only be impressed if the premise of the episode was a key party at the simpson's place and Homer got Lois' key, told her that he wanted to park his trike in her trunk and we faded to credits.

This idea is far too late and both shows far too stale for it to do anything but pump up ratings for a week.

Plus give a ton of fodder to the true greatest show on T.V Robot chicken.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Plus give a ton of fodder to the true greatest show on T.V Robot chicken.
Well now you're just pretending Archer and Adventure Time don't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I must also use this thread to plug Bob's Burgers. Such a great show... and certainly picking up the torch in the lagging adult cartoon category. The best part is how they do not resort so quickly to fart jokes (Family Guy), and seem to effortlessly drive me to stomach pain. So ####ing awesome.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well now you're just pretending Archer and Adventure Time don't exist.
I've never watched Adventure time. Archer is incredibly hilarious. I'm just a fan of Robot Chicken, I think its completely brilliant.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #26
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've never watched Adventure time.
I envy you. I wish I could watch it all for the first time again...

Also agree that for as often as Robot Chicken tends to Dane Cook it up with "LOL 80s REFERENCE", they do something so boneheadedly brilliant I can't believe no one else thought of it first.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Adults watch adventure time?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I envy you. I wish I could watch it all for the first time again...

Also agree that for as often as Robot Chicken tends to Dane Cook it up with "LOL 80s REFERENCE", they do something so boneheadedly brilliant I can't believe no one else thought of it first.
They do such a great job with the Star Wars stuff and GI Joe Stuff.

One of the best skits I've ever seen was the GI Joe get a new guy skit.

Also their He Man stuff gets me everytime.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #29
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Adults watch adventure time?
Well considering how heavily it references D&D, Forgotten Realms, retro gaming, Fallout, Baldur's Gate and a ####ton more geekery,

Yes. Yes we do.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

FOX cancelled American Dad??? What the hell! I literally just learned that in this thread. It's been by far the best show in Animation Domination for a solid 5 years now. I had no idea it was still so underrated, its been so solid the last few years I just assumed it had finally crossed over to the mainstream.

So basically FOX is putting a bullet in the head of their best animated show, while trying to make a crossover monstro episode out of 2 shows that need to be put out to pasture. Typical FOX. Thank Jebus for TBS.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #31
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Robot Chicken has definitely jumped the shark for me, but I understand why people are still big on the show. I think for myself, I never really played with GI Joe's, and while I do appreciate the original Star Wars trilogy, I don't think it was the miracle a lot of people and fans think it was. That rules out almost half of the skits for me right there. Well, not 'rules out' but definitely feels like overkill. I might like it more if (like Family Guy for a while) they didn't feel the need to make a Star Wars joke every damn episode.

There is one skit that always has me in tears with laughter though:

Some of the Toy Story ones were hilarious too.

Never seen Adventure Time, based on the description I might have to check it out. Haven't gotten into Archer either, but I never really gave it a shot. It looks like I could like it.

Oh and agree on the comments on American Dad and Futurama. Though, there was a period in time when The Simpsons was king.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Well considering how heavily it references D&D, Forgotten Realms, retro gaming, Fallout, Baldur's Gate and a ####ton more geekery,

Yes. Yes we do.
Well I'm not trying to insult anyone, I honestly didn't know. My daughter watches it. I thought it was a kids show.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #33
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Well I'm not trying to insult anyone, I honestly didn't know. My daughter watches it. I thought it was a kids show.
I've always wondered about the kids watching it thing, because in all honesty there are a lot of adult themes, really horrifically rendered violent monsters, and upsettingly weird storylines.

I can understand teens and stuff watching it, but beyond scenes/episodes taking place in the Candy Kingdom (which are still typically bizarre, but cute), there's some pretty out there stuff on the show.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
FOX cancelled American Dad??? What the hell! I literally just learned that in this thread. It's been by far the best show in Animation Domination for a solid 5 years now. I had no idea it was still so underrated, its been so solid the last few years I just assumed it had finally crossed over to the mainstream.

So basically FOX is putting a bullet in the head of their best animated show, while trying to make a crossover monstro episode out of 2 shows that need to be put out to pasture. Typical FOX. Thank Jebus for TBS.
I honestly wonder how big American Dad would have been if it came on first instead of Family Guy. I think many people never gave it a chance, and assumed it would be similar in style to Family Guy (and the awful Cleveland Show). So why bother watching AD when if Family Guy is not your style?

I didn't really take to AD at first either, as I can't stand FG, but after a while it most definitely grew on me. At first Stan Smith was really the only hilarious character on the show, and I loathed whenever the show focused around anyone else (Roger in particular). But whoever writes for the show has really done an exceptional job in writing for the supporting cast from top to bottom. I don't even mind Roger that much now.

Although the real praise the show should garner is they somehow were able to make their female characters (Francine and Hayley) pretty damn funny. I can't think of one other animated show that comes close to them at the moment. The women in FG are flat out awful, and they show it as much in how Meg is written. Peggy and Leela were probably the two most annoying characters on their shows; and I dread episodes of the Simpsons that feature Lisa or Marge (how many boyfriends can Lisa have?). But American Dad has it set up where Hayley and Francine play off perfectly with the men, and don't drag down the show like the others do. And also as someone noted Francine is pretty damn hot...

Kudos to whoever writers for American Dad. I honestly can't believe anything MacFarlane created is actually capable of being that good, but AD proved me wrong.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #35
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People forget that American Dad, unlike family guy, was created by three people and not just Seth MacFarlene. Co-creators Matt Weitzman and Mike Barker are just as influential on the story lines and characters as MacFarlane.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #36
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

American Dad is great.

Also, Peggy Hill was god awful.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #37
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Also, Peggy Hill was god awful.
That's what made Peggy so brilliant.

I watched the episode where she kidnapped a Mexican kid due to her atrocious Spanish. It's such a good episode. The way she pronounces "por favor" gets me everytime.

There is really something special about King of the Hill, I could rant about how brilliant it was for hours, and I probably have on this site before.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #38
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if MacFarlane's "involvement" if AD was merely just attaching his name to the show in order for Fox to pick it up? It's just such a vast contrast to Family Guy and The Cleveland Show that it's hard to believe the same guy created all three.

And I sort of agree with MMF about Peggy, she was a very well developed character, but I just found her out right annoying a lot of the time. Although I assume that's what Judge and the other writers were going for, so mission accomplished. I do like her more than Bobby though. That Mexican episode, the Brendan Fraser episode, the Sting episode, and a few others she starred in were great.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #39
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To me the best and most important dynamic of the show was the Father-Son dynamic between Hank and Bobby.

Hank just never got Bobby.. the last episode.. where they finally found common ground as Bobby learned how good he was at grilling was the perfect way to go out.

It's probably my favorite series ending episode for any sitcom ever.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 07-20-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #40
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hated that they killed Cotton off; just seemed like a strange choice to make. But I did like that King of the Hill did somewhat evolve over time, so that was a positive.