Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default (Need advice) Asus Chromebox

Just wondering if anyone has this product...

Asus Chromebox

I'm looking for a dedicated device to hook up to my TV. Because of the spot it's in, wireless doesn't work for me so it's important it's a dedicated device with ethernet to wire into. Up until recently I had a Mac Mini but it's quite old and the logic board just went.

My only concern with this box is that I stream a lot of HD video from the web, and am wondering if it will hold up well to that?

It's about $200 which is a nice price point for something like this. Anyone have any experience or feedback as to weather or not it should handle streaming HD video? Thanks in advance.

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a lot of experience with Chrome books and boxes and can tell you that the 2GB of memory will be an issue for HD content, especially 1080p. While I haven't used the Asus, I would suggest getting the 4GB upgrade, if available. I would also read up on compatibility with wireless remotes (assuming you plan on using one) as I have never heard of anyone doing that before.

I should make it clear that my streaming experience has been limited to Youtube and a few websites only. I have never tried viewing an mkv or avi directly.

Last edited by psicodude; 05-05-2014 at 08:10 PM.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post: