Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #1921
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Say what you want about Nault but at least he isn't afraid to rip this team and doesn't tow the company line. Props to the rant he just did
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #1922
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
They're replaying Robert's rant right now.

Amazing. I approve.
For someone that "wants them to lose every game" he sure gets mad when they lose

Like the passion though
Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #1923
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He says a curb stomping of Ottawa won't impress anybody,

But hell, let's start there. You have to start somewhere.

Let's see this team lay the boot to ANY ONE to show us and themselves that they can do it, and go from there.

It's not going to be fixed overnight no, but the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

I just think Nault goes on overdrive and looks so far ahead that nothing could possibly satisfy him.

Just a little too far off one end of the scale.

Edit: lol this is Klein. I swear I can't tell those two apart much of the time.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-26-2021 at 05:49 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #1924
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup and the thing with Loubo is that it comes off genuine.

With him I’m not sure it’s as much that he’s a paid shill for the team but actually that he’s just a genuinely nice guy that wouldn’t want to talk poorly about people he likely considers his friends in public.

Wills on the other hand is annoying because it 100% comes off as being a paid shill for the organization.
I was going to say exactly this.

Loubo's soliloquys can be annoying as ####, but he is genuine and I respect him.

Wills is an apologetic dishrag.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #1925
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I was going to say exactly this.

Loubo's soliloquys can be annoying as ####, but he is genuine and I respect him.

Wills is an apologetic dishrag.
Lol @ when Wills prefaces half his statements with "I might be a homer for saying this but.."

Win or lose miserably, he always has a couple of those lined up for each interview.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #1926
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Lou was actually upfront about what he was saying.”there are things I can’t say”

He’s employed by the team. If he wants to rip them up and down then he can find a new employer. That isn’t his job. He’s a professional and I think he addressed the tire fire of a game/season professionally.

Pinder can rip them all he wants, and they deserve it, but he doesn’t have Lou’s job.

Lou’s in a tough spot. His job is the help sell winning or hope. Right now there isn’t a whole lot of either.

Without turning this season around somewhat and getting value back for Gaudreau and Monahan based on their contracts and play, there is little that can be done. Even coaching. Bringing in a new coach who can’t really interact with the players in limited practice sessions?

Good luck.

They need more than anything is to have a sports psychologist overhaul the entire group. Last night was almost a cry for help.

The likelihood of that working is a prayer but it’s something that has been self evident for almost a 1/2 decade. Maybe they’re doing it behind the scenes. I don’t know.

Their play is far from being described as professional and clinical.

Trade deadline will be the moment where everything comes to a fruition with 36 more games of this garbage or they pull things out of the fire.
Rogers owns the Calgary Flames now do they?

Wasnt asking him to "rip the tam" either.

Say what he can say and move the hell on...instead he tap-danced and obfuscated and asked about 30 rhetorical questions that left me wondering what the hell they were even talking about.

Again...absolutely awful radio.

Last edited by transplant99; 02-26-2021 at 06:53 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #1927
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I absolutely HATE people that do this as a general conversational technique. The last boss I had did the same thing, pose a question and have you try to finish their thought as if you're an extension of their internal monologue.

It puts so much pressure on a person, and it's ridiculously awkward if you answer incorrectly or say you don't know.

I had a boss like that, it was a power technique for an insecure person. Guys could speak to their area better than he could and so he would put you in this weird game just like that, in front of others.

"In area X we need to do what?" "Umm, sorry are you, uh referring specifically to..." "WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS..". So embarrassing, but enough people saw through it that it only reflected poorly on him, despite everyone stammering and struggling through it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #1928
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Rogers owns the Calgary Flames now do they?

Wasnt asking him to "rip the tam" either.

Say what he can say and move the hell on...instead he tap-danced and obfuscated and asked about 30 rhetorical questions that left me wondering what the hell they were even talking about.

Again...absolutely awful radio.
I actually think team radio broadcasts crews are a little complicated employment-wise.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #1929
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I actually think team radio broadcasts crews are a little complicated employment-wise.
There was a time when the Flames employed their broadcast crews.

I do not believe that to be the case any longer.

Kelly Kirch (sp..always get it wrong) is the boss for both Loubo and Willis. They mention it all the time. Guys that work for the radio station work for Rogers. Both those guys do things for the station beyond NHL games.

Maybe there is a side deal we arent familiar with or maybe the team has to approve of who is doing the games though? Im not sure. At any rate I do not believe the guys are handcuffed from being critical of any player or part of the organization if they so choose.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #1930
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Not related to the Flames or 960, but worth a mention to hockey fans in general.

Absolutely remarkable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365691099973447681
Old 02-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #1931
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
There was a time when the Flames employed their broadcast crews.

I do not believe that to be the case any longer.

Kelly Kirch (sp..always get it wrong) is the boss for both Loubo and Willis. They mention it all the time. Guys that work for the radio station work for Rogers. Both those guys do things for the station beyond NHL games.

Maybe there is a side deal we aren't familiar with or maybe the team has to approve of who is doing the games though? Im not sure. At any rate I do not believe the guys are handcuffed from being critical of any player or part of the organization if they so choose.

I would imagine these days things are very similar to the Edmonton relationship. "You're wanting to be part of the team with access and privilege, you will act at least in part as part of the team with how you report and discuss".

Obviously can't say for sure, but the relationship has given off that vibe for a lot of years now, and no reason the Flames wouldn't strong arm and work to control the message coming out as much as possible. It usually works in small to mid markets, not so much in the bigger centres with too many viable media outlets and personalities to counter a team supporting group at one station.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #1932
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Doesn't that just make the Flames organization small and insecure that they need a compliant media? Or the media is too weak that they have to comply?

I'm familiar with the Montreal market and the media just rips that team (especially in French) and that's how it is. They rip the team so much francophones don't even want to play there anymore.

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-27-2021 at 11:03 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #1933
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Regional broadcasters are afforded access and travelling perks by the teams they cover. Wills, Loubo, or Peter and others before them cannot be expected to deliver the same level of criticism that other broadcasters can. They travel with the team, stay with the team, and are with the players day in day out. Mike Rogers near the end of his tenure certainly deviated from that but he likely knew his time was short and just didn't give a damn anymore.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #1934
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Regional broadcasters are afforded access and travelling perks by the teams they cover. Wills, Loubo, or Peter and others before them cannot be expected to deliver the same level of criticism that other broadcasters can. They travel with the team, stay with the team, and are with the players day in day out. Mike Rogers near the end of his tenure certainly deviated from that but he likely knew his time was short and just didn't give a damn anymore.
Mike Rogers, like Warrener, also clearly never “needed” this job. He played at the highest level, had a prolific career, and had wisdom and insight to offer. He wasn't there because he needed the cheque (assumption on my part, I admit).

Lou most assuredly does.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #1935
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what they were saying yesterday they weren't being controlled by the team. They were blasting everyone from players to coaches to front office to ownership.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #1936
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Mike Rogers, like Warrener, also clearly never “needed” this job. He played at the highest level, had a prolific career, and had wisdom and insight to offer. He wasn't there because he needed the cheque (assumption on my part, I admit).

Lou most assuredly does.
Rogers played in the pre-big money era. And he only played 7 years in the NHL because he started in the WHA. Lots of those guys didn’t have much when they left the game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:45 PM   #1937
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is funny that even when I agree with Nault I don’t like him. He is just like Francis has this arrogant tone to his voice. Just terrible
Nault is pretty much the reason why I don't listen to the afternoon show. I actually think Steinberg is pretty good and I don't mind Klein either.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #1938
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lol @ when Wills prefaces half his statements with "I might be a homer for saying this but.."

Win or lose miserably, he always has a couple of those lined up for each interview.
Doesn't he ride on the plane with the team though? He's probably constantly interacting with the team and having real life conversations with them. I'd imagine that makes it tougher to criticize guys. I think he does a pretty good job of telling it like it is given those circumstances if that's how they are.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:09 AM   #1939
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Nault is pretty much the reason why I don't listen to the afternoon show. I actually think Steinberg is pretty good and I don't mind Klein either.
Yeah me too. He should focus on producing the show whilst STFU.

His tired, lazy, amateur takes and analysis make entire discussions a waste of time.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:20 AM   #1940
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not related to the Flames or 960, but worth a mention to hockey fans in general.

Absolutely remarkable.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1365691099973447681
Growing up in Medicine hat Bob Ridley was a community staple. You couldn't throw a rock 5 feet without him helping the community in one way or another.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote