Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #41
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pediatric marijuana exposures in a medical marijuana state.
AU
Wang GS, Roosevelt G, Heard K
SO
JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167(7):630.

Delirium following ingestion of marijuana present in chocolate cookies.
AU
AndréC, Jaber-Filho JA, Bento RM, Damasceno LM, Aquino-Neto FR
SO
CNS Spectr. 2006 Apr;11(4):262-4.

Coma due to cannabis toxicity in an infant.
AU
Appelboam A, Oades PJ
SO
Eur J Emerg Med. 2006 Jun;13(3):177-9.

Cannabis can cause respiratory depression and other potentially fatal reactions at high enough doses
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #42
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames2007FIRE IT UP View Post
Unproven? The studies are proof - these are very good studies.

So harm from cancer, impairment, losing your job because you use cannabis regularly is not harm? Most people don't die from drinking too much alcohol they die from liver cirrhosis and other complications from the alcohol. Pretty similar to cannabis.

The reality (as the data shows above) is many people have had significant harm from using cannabis.
I haven’t said no harm, read my posts. I said no deaths have been directly linked to marijuana use, as compared with let’s say OxyContin. Alcohol you can certainly overdose from. In any case, you’ve missed my point and seem to be bringing up studies that show marijuana can cause harm. I was never arguing that.

Edit: studies aren’t proof. They are simply evidence that support a hypothesis. It’s entirely possible that other variables contribute to those results. Until there is consensus within the scientific community (ie several supporting studies, few if any conflicting), you can’t say it proves anything.

Last edited by VilleN; 09-24-2020 at 07:51 PM.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #43
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pediatric marijuana exposures in a medical marijuana state.
AU
Wang GS, Roosevelt G, Heard K
SO
JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167(7):630.

Delirium following ingestion of marijuana present in chocolate cookies.
AU
AndréC, Jaber-Filho JA, Bento RM, Damasceno LM, Aquino-Neto FR
SO
CNS Spectr. 2006 Apr;11(4):262-4.

Coma due to cannabis toxicity in an infant.
AU
Appelboam A, Oades PJ
SO
Eur J Emerg Med. 2006 Jun;13(3):177-9.

Cannabis can cause respiratory depression and other potentially fatal reactions at high enough doses
I can’t read what you’ve posted. Those appear to be case studies though, so more anecdotal... but since I can’t read them I can’t be sure.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #44
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
"A lot of this, in terms of accountability and responsibly, comes down to team trainers and team doctors," Westhead said.

The article is pretty vague and I have not seen "The Problem of Pain" so i may haver missed the context but I do not agree with the above statement. Accountability and responsibility is up to the person taking the medicine to know what it is and what the potential side effects are.
Disagree. It's a 2-way street/shared responsibility (3-way street in the case of pro sports).

Healthcare professionals need to not suck.
(Pro sports org's need to make sure the healthcare pro's they employ don't suck, while also empowering the individuals involved to follow their best interests)

Individuals need to inform themselves to an extent, but it's a ridiculous expectation to place on a lay-person. Trust your provider, ask lots of questions, proceed with caution/moderation, and seek a second opinion if something doesn't feel/seem right.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #45
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I can’t read what you’ve posted. Those appear to be case studies though, so more anecdotal... but since I can’t read them I can’t be sure.
Multiple cases of people overdosing from cannabis.

Multiple studies of cannabis causing lung cancer and other serious health issues - not sure what you mean by unproven - clearly proven.

Multiple studies showing cannabis causes significant mental health issues.

Multiple studies and guidelines showing harm when doing safety sensitive tasks - again not sure what you mean by unproven - it is proven.

Please stop saying no ever died from it - many people have.

Last edited by Flames2007FIRE IT UP; 09-24-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Flames2007FIRE IT UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:03 PM   #46
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wasn't Theo diagnosed with Crohn's disease? I haven't read his book yet so I'm not sure if related. Just speculating
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 AM   #47
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Multiple studies of cannabis causing lung cancer and other serious health issues - not sure what you mean by unproven - clearly proven.

Multiple studies and guidelines showing harm when doing safety sensitive tasks - again not sure what you mean by unproven - it is proven.

Yeah but guess what. I'd rather be prescribed medicinal marijuana for a month than toradol, strictly due to how much more addictive it is.

Also a few of your cases covers children and infants overdosing on marijuana.... ####, if you gave the same infant and children toradol they would probably die. You are using extreme cases dealing with pediatric patients. We're are discussing adults using legal drugs to treat pain.

Last edited by Since1984; 09-25-2020 at 02:08 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:47 AM   #48
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klikitiklik View Post
Wasn't Theo diagnosed with Crohn's disease? I haven't read his book yet so I'm not sure if related. Just speculating
I don't remember anything public but at a golf tourney years ago I overheard him at dinner talking about colitis so it's possible.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #49
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Smoking anything probably causes lung cancer, I have never disagreed with this. I'm talking about a direct cause. Again, studies don't prove anything - proof is for mathematics.

Again, studies like these don't offer proof they offer evidence. However, as with most studies like these there are variables (ie other medications, persons state before marijuana use, etc.) that cause them to be less reliable. I'm not saying it isn't true, it is interesting and something to be aware of. Far from proven though.

I already agreed doing any dangerous activities while impaired increases the risk of death.

My argument is and always has been, no one has died directly (overdosing) from using marijuana. If you can cite information that disproves this, I would be interested to see it - I am actually not arguing with you (except for you what you think proof is), if you can show me studies of people overdosing I'm genuinely interested. I'd like to actually be able to read the study, because it is easy to misrepresent what is being cited.

If you want to play the study game I can show studies that marijuana helps slow tumor growth, helps with epilepsy, etc. That is why it's not proof. Only when there is overwhelming evidence one way with very little contradicting evidence can we make any type of conclusions (climate change, cigarette smoking and cancer link).

Last edited by VilleN; 09-25-2020 at 10:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #50
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Yeah but guess what. I'd rather be prescribed medicinal marijuana for a month than toradol, strictly due to how much more addictive it is.

Also a few of your cases covers children and infants overdosing on marijuana.... ####, if you gave the same infant and children toradol they would probably die. You are using extreme cases dealing with pediatric patients. We're are discussing adults using legal drugs to treat pain.
Toradol isn't addictive in any way. It's not a pain killer. It will also make you feel sicker the more you increase the dose and the longer you use it.

Marijuana, on the other hand, can be quite habit forming.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #51
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, you can't get lung cancer from using cannabis if you don't smoke it. Oils and gelcaps are easy to come by these days, which are a far safer method of use and a better way of controlling the dosage.

Any time someone brings up the lung cancer link as a reason to discount cannabis, it's clear they're only thinking about people sitting around smoking joints, which Health Canada even advises is not the ideal way to administer/consume cannabis-based interventions.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote