Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
You are correct, it will likely cause her issues getting future work. There are obviously things that are not in the article, and obviously neither of us has read the contract. But if it is a memoir, and she is supplying the writing, and he is supplying the story and his name, and there was a verbal agreement that he got final say, he has the right to not have his name used in a defamatory manner. Hypothetically, if she was to publish the book without his consent, what is to stop him from sueing for libel? Mediation is likely the best course of action, but I don't begruge Lanny at all for wanting control of the way that he is being represented. Also, based on the article, it seems as though his expectation that the book was going to be about life after hockey, as per his claims. If he is making the claim that is not the case, how would it seem to you that he was involved every step of the way? I would imagine that he was involved in the story telling, and the finished work was somewhat different then his expectation, and if that's the case, he has every right to not want his name associated with it. Again, I'm no lawyer, nor do I claim to be, but I think controlling his image is right and fair. My issue isn't with her being owed something, but her trying to sue to have her work about another individual published without his consent is wrong. Especially since it is supposed to be a memoir from his prospective, that he no longer endorses.
Well, I am a lawyer and I can tell you whatever his rights are, they are spelled out in the contract, which, according to the reports, doesn’t give him an unlimited right to withhold consent.

Whether his refusal has a reasonable basis is up to the arbitrator. I do know one thing - if it was never spelled out that this was supposed to be a book solely a bop out post-hockey activities, that won’t be a reasonable excuse. And I very much doubt McLellan-Day would have agreed to that stipulation because that just isn’t a book that would sell. Frankly, if I was to guess, he’s made up that excuse as cover for the real reason - that it isn’t a pure hagiography.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can tell you this much - I’m way more interested in the Burke book written with Steven Brunt. That dude’s a poet. And Burke has way more interesting things to say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #43
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Flames and/or the NHL have zero control over Lanny McDonald, or a book about him.
You know for a lawyer you seem a bit naive as to what motivates people to assert a position one way or the other.

Control and influence can sometimes be bedfellows.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:26 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
You know for a lawyer you seem a bit naive as to what motivates people to assert a position one way or the other.

Control and influence can sometimes be bedfellows.

You’ve completely made up a scenario based on whole cloth. Control and influence? I doubt the NHL or the Flames have even seen a manuscript. And there’s no way there’s anything in that book that would come close to the Esposito, JR, Fleury, Probert etc. Books.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #46
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You’ve completely made up a scenario based on whole cloth. Control and influence? I doubt the NHL or the Flames have even seen a manuscript. And there’s no way there’s anything in that book that would come close to the Esposito, JR, Fleury, Probert etc. Books.
Well perhaps. But my comment was to point out that there is more to this story than what is public. Lanny is no fool, so he’s obviously covering for something or someone. To make the bald conclusion that it cannot possibly be his former employer who is influencing his position on this seems a bit short sighted for someone like yourself who makes their living asking questions on stuff others would presume is obvious, digging for dirt in unlikely places, making arguments just for the sake of it, or protecting others from foreseeable risk.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:28 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well perhaps. But my comment was to point out that there is more to this story than what is public. Lanny is no fool, so he’s obviously covering for something or someone. To make the bald conclusion that it cannot possibly be his former employer who is influencing his position on this seems a bit short sighted for someone like yourself who makes their living asking questions on stuff others would presume is obvious, digging for dirt in unlikely places, making arguments just for the sake of it, or protecting others from foreseeable risk.
Your comment was to make up something without a shred of evidence. It’s a conspiracy theory. Frankly, McDonald has very little to do with the Flames these days, and not a whole lot with the NHL either.

I think he thought he could force something and his bluff was called.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Your comment was to make up something without a shred of evidence. It’s a conspiracy theory. Frankly, McDonald has very little to do with the Flames these days, and not a whole lot with the NHL either.

And I tend to think that thought stemmed from a very late change of heart. It happens, but there are plenty of times in which there is not much to be done about it. Based on how he describes the situation, it really sounds like MacDonald was an enthusiastic participant green-lighting every step of the project, but then decided after the fact that this was not how he wanted his legacy enshrined.

A good characterization of this is "buyer's remorse." Unfortunately for MacDonald, there is quite possibly no refund at this stage of the process. In other words, he is too late to get back what he spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #49
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #50
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I have been reading your posts for a couple of years now, and I see a pattern: there is not some nefarious underbelly to every aspect of society; there is not a conspiracy behind every news story. The earth is not flat. The moon-programme was not elaborately staged. President Kennedy was not executed by the American gov't, and 9/11 was not an inside-job. Donald Trump is not embroiled in a cosmic conflict to stamp out child sex-trafficking rings, and Hollywood is not a front for an insidious cabal of Satan worshipping cannibalistic maniacs.

Most of the time, things are as they seem.

Quote:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not sure there is a bigger star than Lanny in Calgary history and I love this guy.

But this author has a air tight case against him. I don't think he has a leg to stand on here.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #52
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have been reading your posts for a couple of years now, and I see a pattern: there is not some nefarious underbelly to every aspect of society; there is not a conspiracy behind every news story. The earth is not flat. The moon-programme was not elaborately staged. President Kennedy was not executed by the American gov't, and 9/11 was not an inside-job. Donald Trump is not embroiled in a cosmic conflict to stamp out child sex-trafficking rings, and Hollywood is not a front for an insidious cabal of Satan worshipping cannibalistic maniacs.

Those are some pretty big balls to put JFK in with those other junk theories, text.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Those are some pretty big balls to put JFK in with those other junk theories, text.
Uh oh. Is the Deep State coming for me now?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #54
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The first two words in my post were ‘could be’ which of course is one way to say I’m not espousing a certainty here. I thought lawyers read more carefully than you have on this one

But you keep going and put words in my mouth if it makes you feel good
Old 09-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #55
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Fair enough but those are some pretty extreme examples to make your point.

I don’t think anyone equates a theory on why lanny is in court with any of the above
Old 09-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The first two words in my post were ‘could be’ which of course is one way to say I’m not espousing a certainty here. I thought lawyers read more carefully than you have on this one

You then followed that up with this:
Quote:
Things don’t really add up otherwise.
Followed by this:
Quote:
...my comment was to point out that there is more to this story than what is public.
And then finally this:
Quote:
he’s obviously covering for something or someone...
For a guy who is just putting stuff out there, you sure do sound certain about the opaqueness of the situation, about alternative explanations and about MacDonald's "obvious" cover for the mysterious bad guys behind all of this.

Again, this is ALL stuff that you have invented from whole cloth. There is not a shred of evidence to support any of it. NOT AT ALL.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-20-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough but those are some pretty extreme examples to make your point.

I don’t think anyone equates a theory on why lanny is in court with any of the above
My examples were illustrative of a certain psychology, not to make precise equations between the nature and depth of conspiracies. In other words, the same style of argument and research that forms and emboldens all of these conspiracies is not even remotely dissimilar from how you tend to post. The common denominators between all of them are a distrust of authority, an expectation for coherence behind every public report, a strong disaffection for the media, institutions, mainstream scholarship and ideals, and a perpetual fear of losing control.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-20-2020 at 06:46 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

“Could be”, sure. It also “could be” that aliens have forced Lanny to refuse because they are ruled by the ghost of Harold Ballard. There’s an equal amount of evidence of that.

Of course you didn’t “espouse a certainty”. You just offered a possibility based on nothing at all.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #59
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
“Could be”, sure. It also “could be” that aliens have forced Lanny to refuse because they are ruled by the ghost of Harold Ballard. There’s an equal amount of evidence of that.

Of course you didn’t “espouse a certainty”. You just offered a possibility based on nothing at all.
Yes of course. And we are to take all your assertions without evidence at face value because.... as you put it to someone else here ... “you are a good lawyer”

Nice pat on the back for yourself there.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #60
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You then followed that up with this:

Followed by this:

And then finally this:

For a guy who is just putting stuff out there, you sure do sound certain about the opaqueness of the situation, about alternative explanations and about MacDonald's "obvious" cover for the mysterious bad guys behind all of this.

Again, this is ALL stuff that you have invented from whole cloth. There is not a shred of evidence to support any of it. NOT AT ALL.
I admire your contributions to this forum most of the time but sometimes I think you forger this is just a DISCUSSION forum on the internet.

Real evidence comes out in legal process. Which this is not