Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames UPD: Gustafsson plans to head to UFA unless Flames up their offer

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
There haven't been any contract talks between the #Flames and D Erik Gustafsson. As of now, the 28-year-old is planning on testing the UFA market next month.

Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
This is consistent with what I've been told by sources close to the situation. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pat Steinberg is gonna be pissed
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would have liked to see him come back if the price/term was right but he might be looking for too much.

If that is the case I actually wouldn’t mind them trying out Andersson/Valimaki/Kylington on the top PP next season.

I think Kylington has similar offensive upside as Gus.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not shocked.

Gustafsson wants to get PAID, but i have my doubts he’ll find it with what’s going on in the world.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard player to evaluate. His passing, including in transition is impressive. And he adds an element on the PP. But he is far from a complete dman.
So what's that worth? I have zero clue.
I could see him signing for a shocking contract that seems like an overpay. I can also seem him hanging out there and signing for a bargain.
Literally no idea.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much do you pay a 3rd pairing defenseman with some offensive skills? I didn't think he flashed enough offensively to warrant much in the way of term and high dollar.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Hard player to evaluate. His passing, including in transition is impressive. And he adds an element on the PP. But he is far from a complete dman.
So what's that worth? I have zero clue.
I could see him signing for a shocking contract that seems like an overpay. I can also seem him hanging out there and signing for a bargain.
Literally no idea.
IMO he'll be left without a chair and sign somewhere for a bargain. We got him for a song at the deadline and teams don't have the cash or cap room right now.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised that no talks have been held. Does that mean absolutely no conversation on contract demand, or just no negotiations.

He probably would have, in any regular off-season, made bank as a free agent. Don’t expect so much this year.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he's in for an awakening and very well may come back here after testing the market.

ETA: I doubt he was first on Treliving's to-do list anyway, plus it's not bad negotiating to make him sweat to the deadline. I see this communication as Gustaffson trying to get Treliving moving. And I think Tre is shrewd enough not to take that bait.

Last edited by GioforPM; 09-14-2020 at 04:15 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #10
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

i've voiced it a few times this off season, but my reaction to this news is... GOOD

Gus was, ok.

He brought a presence to the PP, though it didn't pan out much. But it felt like you could see at times WPG & DAL knew it was there.

That said, he was absolutely atrocious in his own end, both defending, and more visibly with the puck on his stick. His play resulted in way too many turnovers or missed passes that ended up as neutral zone scrambles at best, or mis-timed icings. Had he also been contributing offensively, this would be at least somewhat overlooked. But he wasn't.

ZERO interest in bringing him back for anything more than a replacement level amount. Sure, pay him 1.5 on a 1yr show me (or we trade you at the deadline if we suck and you have some sort of value) deal. But beyond that, I would much, much, MUCH, rather see what the guys on the farm could bring instead and spend the cap space elsewhere.

Someone else will give him a 3x3 or something, and grats to him for it, and who knows, maybe it turns out. Good for them if it does. I just know if we give him any significant dollars it's so-far unearned on this team and could have been better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Icon; 09-14-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His passing, including in transition is impressive.
I felt I noticed him causing turnovers way more than a good pass out of the zone.

It may be that a good transition out of the zone should be routine and un-noticeable, but the fact it felt like if it was a bad turnover it was often Gus on the other end sure stuck out to me.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #12
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
There haven't been any contract talks between the #Flames and D Erik Gustafsson. As of now, the 28-year-old is planning on testing the UFA market next month.

Ryan Pike @RyanNPike
This is consistent with what I've been told by sources close to the situation. #Flames
Wasn't there a report a couple weeks ago that they weren't even close? Perhaps a huge gap led to the end of talks before they really got rolling?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving probably saw the asking price and said; "We may as well target Barrie if that's the ask for this guy." I feel that's a guy the Flames may key in on being right hand shot.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares? The only UFA that should be kept, if he is keepable, is Brodie. The rest are all garbage that should be replaced by ELC (or similar-priced) players.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The rumour from the trade deadline was that Gustafson planned on returning to Chicago because of how much his family enjoyed it there.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #16
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It was kinda weird how meh he was. Following his stats for fantasy purposes prior, I was surprised at the cheap return they got for him. And watching him it’s clear he has hands. But, he’s still a 3rd pairing guy who can play on your PP. And by play on your PP I mean he can fill that role if you need to, but he doesn’t elevate it.

I thought they’d keep him with Brodie walking (likely). But I don’t imagine his next cheque is significant to a teams cap.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #17
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year, I think he was on-pace for a 40 point season (prorated to 82 games); and played on the top-pairing in Chicago last season, scoring 60 points.

What would be the going rate for that level of player? If it's $5-6 million AAV, that's too rich for me. Even at $4 million/yr, I'd like to see some of the kids get more of an opportunity and use our cap space elsewhere.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #18
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like Kylington is being groomed to fill this role at some point
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:38 PM   #19
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very okay with this. Not good defensively, though he is good offensively. Leaves a spot for the prospects to earn like Valimaki or Mackey. And no, I don't think Valimaki should be penciled into the Top 4 which I've seen on CP for about 2 years now. He will have to earn a spot like everyone else and expecting him to be able to play against top NHLers for 16-18 minutes a night is unfair to the kid and going to disappoint those who unreasonably put him there.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #20
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I feel like Kylington is being groomed to fill this role at some point
Be terrible defensively while only being useful on the PP? He's already half way there!
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post: