Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I was hoping for a top tier coach hire, but might be expecting a lot, I don't know.

Ward did have a decent end of the season, and coaching is not the biggest problem on the roster. A top tier coach can definitely fix/cover some of the warts, as well as be critical for player development (Look at the Islanders).

Treliving has to make moves, but this decision of either keeping Ward or getting a new coach, will probably be a critical one, looked back in a year (or shorter) to determine his future with the team.
Coaching is 100% the biggest issue with this roster. Having a smaller skill group playing dump and chase is just mind boggling bad.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #42
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
With the recent 20% cuts in salaries to staff, it is less surprising the Flames are considering Ward. With the possibility of no ticket revenue next season, Treliving may have a tight coaching budget and Ward might be the best choice within that budget.

Ward wasn't my top choice, maybe not even top 5; but I have a hard time calling it a poor choice. After Ward took over as head coach, the Flames went 25-15-3, which is the 8th best record in the NHL (4th in West, 2nd in Pacific). We were 10th in goals per game, 3rd in PP%. He also led us to a series win over the Jets and had us in a position where we should have ousted the Stars.

We also can't discount the fact that people learn through mistakes and you have to think that was discussed by management and Ward
When is Treliving going to learn?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #43
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

No rumours about the Flames since the season ended have excited me, just worried me. Starting to believe that BT has just lost it and needs to be replaced.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #44
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true, then you have to get players that will fit Ward's system. Bye bye Johnny (and maybe Mony)

Disappointing, especially considering Boudreau has said he will coach anywhere with a HC spot before considering an Assistant role. Would've loved to see Johnny play under him.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #45
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
When is Treliving going to learn?
He did learn.

After his exhaustive process to hire GG, he learned to just hire one guy he likes and ignore everything else - Peters, and now Ward.

Just awesome process, so happy to have a GM that has no clue how to hire a coach in this league.

This team is so lucky their biggest rival is the worst pro franchise in NA, as the bar is set at the ground for them that they don't have to actually try to win.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #46
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following Tre's playbook, now that he has his coach without even looking at any of the talent out there, I can't wait until he trades a couple 1sts and a 2nd for a mid-pair dman, or stupid expensive Dman (or both).

Then he can go sign a bottom 6 forward to a stupid contract that will be bought out in a years time.

Gotta love the process
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #47
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a process. This is part of the process. Time to process this team out.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #48
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Coaching is 100% the biggest issue with this roster. Having a smaller skill group playing dump and chase is just mind boggling bad.
I don't agree. Coaching is an issue, but there are other areas on the roster that need to be improved.

We lack a number centre, which ends up putting a lot on Gaudreau.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This thread is hilarious.

What did you all think was going to happen? Scotty Bowman was going to come out of retirement? Coach Q was going to resign on Florida?

Ward did well last year, the front office is taking a major pay cut, and the GM hasn't ever demonstrated a different philosophy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #50
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You know, maybe it's time to get on the ground floor with Seattle. Sure they may have a ton of failure but it will be new, fresh failure.

Plus they'll hate all the same teams I hate now. Edmonton, Vancouver, etc.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #51
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

What did you all think was going to happen? Scotty Bowman was going to come out of retirement? Coach Q was going to resign on Florida?

Ward did well last year, the front office is taking a major pay cut, and the GM hasn't ever demonstrated a different philosophy.
We all knew this would happen. That is the problem. The Flames are a sub NHL team when it comes to going out and getting elite talent, in any role. Mediocre for the last 30 years, mediocre for the next.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #52
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Step 6. "We were in on lots of stuff, hard to make things work, unprecedented times, blablabla"
Don't forget #7 - We went through the complete process and looked at it from every angle.

Good grief, I absolutely hate "the process" discussions. "The process" has got this team zero fricking improvement in years. Might as well get rid of our skill players and bring in lots of grinders because we are for a real treat of dump and chase and low scoring games, if we can even score any goals.

I know it is just a rumour but I am so disappointed.
OldSam is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #53
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
You know, maybe it's time to get on the ground floor with Seattle. Sure they may have a ton of failure but it will be new, fresh failure.

Plus they'll hate all the same teams I hate now. Edmonton, Vancouver, etc.
It's amazing, seattle is undefeated!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #54
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
With the recent 20% cuts in salaries to staff, it is less surprising the Flames are considering Ward. With the possibility of no ticket revenue next season, Treliving may have a tight coaching budget and Ward might be the best choice within that budget.

Ward wasn't my top choice, maybe not even top 5; but I have a hard time calling it a poor choice. After Ward took over as head coach, the Flames went 25-15-3, which is the 8th best record in the NHL (4th in West, 2nd in Pacific). We were 10th in goals per game, 3rd in PP%. He also led us to a series win over the Jets and had us in a position where we should have ousted the Stars.

We also can't discount the fact that people learn through mistakes and you have to think that was discussed by management and Ward
it is excuses and justifications like this the reason the Flames are always mediocre
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elkyiv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #55
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
It's amazing, seattle is undefeated!
Yeah, feels good.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #56
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also of the mindset that the cone of silence surrounding the Flames right may mean there's bigger things at play here. Lile trees job. Serious. As much as Friedmans annoying me with these gloriously vague takes, that also means theres a total lockdown in the dome right now. No info is getting put.

Cpuld be owners doing an internal cap mandate, owners doing their own personal review of things and nothing is going to get done until they finish their work.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #57
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been a big Treliving supporter, but if this turns out to be true and they don't have a solid regular season and some playoff success this year, he's gotta go.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #58
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

By no objective metric did Ward do "well". The team was never more inconsistent and middling.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
it is excuses and justifications like this the reason the Flames are always mediocre
Maybe it’s the people who complain real loud but then still watch the games and follow the team that make the team mediocre.

No reason to change if even your critics stick by you.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #60
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tre should have been fired when he passed over every potential coach and only intended on hiring one person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe it’s the people who complain real loud but then still watch the games and follow the team that make the team mediocre.

No reason to change if even your critics stick by you.
Yes, the loyal fans are to blame.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post: