Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #1521
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any recommendations on what i should look for in suitable goggles for fatbiking or the odd winter commute? (or just any general ski variety will do?). Thanks!

I swear by the prescription Rudy Projects... have one pair w/ yellow lenses and another pair with photochromic (darkening) lenses. Yellows breath better so get used for all winter commutes, xc skiing. Both give awesome protection and coverage. No inserts required. Just freakin' pricey but worth their weight in gold.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #1522
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, goggles didn't fog up on me yesterday morning at -26 but did fog up today at -30. Made it about 1km into my ride before they got pretty bad, but I was still able to see out the left side and bottom so I kept them on, only took them off when I was almost at work. No way I was exposing skin for more than 5 minutes this morning.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #1523
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya,, mine were a little worse this morning too. Maybe the humidity shot up...maybe not! One of my fully recharge bike lights was nearing death by the time I got in.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #1524
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

VDO tells me their computers are tested until -10°C. Not good enough! My wife has one though, maybe I'll throw it in my bag tomorrow and see if it is still alive when I get in.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #1525
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually brought my bike in overnight for the ride this morning. Really helped with things not getting stiff right away, but I think that caused me to not spend as much time out in the cold before putting my goggles down around my face, I think that may have contributed to the fogging today. Still too much heat/humidity coming off of the skin it covers when they went on.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #1526
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been keeping mine in my garage that is about 5 degrees. It has been much happier with that, than out in the shed, all unprotected and cold!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #1527
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good ride out there today. Just posting in solidarity with the other cyclists on a -30C morning.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #1528
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My new bike arrives at my work today and I was thinking it was too cold to put it in my truck to bring it home tonight. You guys are hardcore.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #1529
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you get all the layers on, it's not bad at all. By far the worst part is getting dressed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #1530
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah getting dressed takes too long, but stepping out and not even feeling the cold and getting going on the bike is the best. Huge grin on my face (under my balaclava).
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM   #1531
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, that NE wind felt particularly brutal today, even though it was only 10km/h. Riding directly into it felt like a real chore. It was also at that point where my balls were getting uncomfortably cool. I blamed it on the wind, anyway. But then I got home and started undressing, and dummy me forgot to do up my fly. Don't forget to do up your fly. Fortunately the 4 other layers mostly helped. Mostly.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #1532
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really proud of you folks that rode through this......I know it's not easy.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #1533
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two days, two new low temperature riding records for me. -31 this morning, did pretty good except my fully charged front light died 3/4 of the way through from the cold and defaulted to strobe mode. Toes in winter boots with two layers of socks were feeling cold by the end of the ride. Can't wait for that balmy -29 for the ride home!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #1534
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I actually felt a slight chill this morning, running out of layers to add! Our building heat is busted, so it feels even cooler here after de-layering.

I like these things for an extra kick of warmth, if you have enoguh space in your boots:
https://www.amazon.ca/UST-Reusable-H...6UH/ref=sr_1_9

They only last about 20 minutes, but that's enough for me. Otherwise you can use the disposable ones, they are a bit thinner and last way longer. Put them in ziplock bags and suck the air out, and that turns them off, so you can use them for a few days.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-15-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #1535
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
In that price range I haven't seen hydraulic brakes nor mid-drive motor. I had been looking at either one of these:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...e-350w-36v13ah
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...rain-48v14-5ah
Or maybe stepping up to this:
https://calgaryebikes.ca/collections...ar-wheel-drive

The first two seem to be the battery being the big difference.

Looking more at Sliver's link, the promo code doesn't work, and you have to pay $150 for assembly. So leaning less towards those.
Hey Ken. I put my bike together last night. It only took about 20 minutes. It then took another 20 minutes to cut the giant box down into small pieces so it would fit in my blue bin.

Here's the assembly video I followed to put it all together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCZ...ature=youtu.be

You definitely don't need to know anything about bikes or their assembly to get yourself set up. You attach the handle bars (four bolts), put the front tire on (quick release), thread your pedals on, attach the headlight (one bolt) and plug the headlight in. Inflate the tires and that's really it.

Not trying to pressure you or anything, just a friendly FYI that it's not like assembling a bike from scratch, which I'd never be able to do. The brakes are set up, the gears all work, the chain is even on. Nothing to it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #1536
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That south wind was vicious this morning! And it looks like it shifts to a north wind for the afternoon, sooo..yay. Looking forward to next week, though I've seen a few patches of very nasty looking black ice peeping through here and there, that could come into play.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #1537
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wind forecast actually works in my favour today! Enjoyed the push this morning, but I was fighting a bit of its eastern component at first. Day 4 of riding in this extreme cold and the wheels just feel like they are sticking to the pavement, and not in a good way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #1538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, my ride home yesterday my legs felt like blocks of concrete. This morning I was just barely able to make the first light, which means sprinting for the next 3, or waiting awhile. So I put the hammer down, and maybe almost died. The effort you need to put in at these temps goes up exponentially. Looking forward to tomorrow off.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #1539
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take Sunday off, gonna keep going tomorrow and Saturday.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #1540
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

rock stars!
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: