Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #141
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Latest US Military Defense Intelligence report predicts that China has spent a ton of money on modernization with an eye on Taiwan

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/polit...ort/index.html

Video from the latest Chinese Naval excerciese

Heavily featured, the Liaoning China's first operational Aircraft carrier, J-15 Carrier launched fighters (China's already looking for a new Carrier Aircraft because the J-15 has a worse operational safety record then the F-104 Star Fighter). The brand new type 94 ballistic missile submarine is also shown.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #142
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

India (air force) has apparently attacked a target(s) in Pakistan in the past couple of hours.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100227776618131457

If true, this is the first time since 1971 that India acknowledges crossing the Line of Control for air strikes.

The attack consisted of up to 12 (depending on whose tweet you read) x Mirage 2000.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100224959996137473

Pakistan states that Indian jets dropped their payloads early in order to retreat from Pak interceptors.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #143
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting news from an unstable border situation.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #144
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

This is what the world needs right now is a war between India and Pakistan.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #145
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There were some significant clashes along the border near Sialkot tonight.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/s...,73.7977195,7z

Specifically, Bajwat Sector opposite the Indian Akhnur cantonment. There are reports of casualties on both sides. Both sides claim destroying opposing force's observation/border posts.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100511668575105025

For the past 24 hrs, both sides have made claims about what did or didn't happen with respect to India's raid last night. IE, India claims to have destroyed a Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) camp and Pakistan claims the Indian jets didn't reach the target.

For what it's worth, here is the Times of india story:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...9.cms?from=mdr
Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #146
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The proverbial shyte was hitting the fan as I slept apparently.

- Pakistan claims to have shot down two IAF MiGs. One IAF pilot in custody (there is video of the PAK Army capturing the pilot but I will not post it) in Pakistan. The other plane crashed on Indian side of LoC. Pakistan does admit to sending its planes across LoC to hit Indian targets.

- India admits to losing one plane due to malfunction and its subsequent crash. The pilot is MIA.

- India claims to have shot down PAF F-16. Pakistan denies.

- Increased mortar exchanges this morning in Kashmir.

- PAK President Khan appears conciliatory and calls for talks with India. With a captured pilot, India might be in more of a mood to sit down.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100794916249235456

While this has always been a really volatile region between 2 nuclear armed powers, and I don't like what seems to be a language of escalation, I would expect that both sides would find a way to back off.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #148
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Major fighting being reported along the LOC with many casualties on both sides. Heavy artillery and missiles being used. I thought the return of the downed pilot would simmer things down but it seems to have gone the other direction.
JoseCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #149
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just happy that it seems like China wants no part of it, despite being pretty close with Pakistan
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #150
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm curious, Indian airforce uses Migs and Pakistan uses F-16s?
I thought it would have been the other way around

LChoy
Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #151
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
I'm curious, Indian airforce uses Migs and Pakistan uses F-16s?
I thought it would have been the other way around

LChoy

India has been in lockstep with Russia for a long time in terms of military procurement

They're a mixed bag of French and Russian.

However their modernization program involves either the F-16 Block 70 or the Gripen JAS-29

Their ground forces uses a mix of Russian equipment including the T-90 and T-72 and BMP APC.

Pakistan's airforce is a real mixed bag including French, Chinese and American Aircraft.

They are in talks with China to buy about 30 of their J-31 5th generation fighters.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #152
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some observations:

1. The continuing clashes between two nuclear powers is concerning with no real indication of deescalation. However, this doesn't seem to warrant much time in western media. These skirmishes are under-reported or reported as seemingly insignificant. Why? There have been many casualties along the LoC and hospitals are reporting shortages of blood. The latter isn't confirmed, which leads to point 2.

2. Unlike Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan or Israel, videos and pics of what is happening in Kashmir are few and far between. IND and PAK aggressively control information. I find it difficult to verify what is true or not. There is lots of honour and emotion involved with these two countries.

3. With reference to point 2 and the air forces of the two nations. It seems odd to me that, along probably the most dangerous border in the world and in what is arguably the most contested region in the world, neither side seems to employ an air defence system capable of denying enemy aircraft interdiction.

4. At this point in time - meaning as I write - I still really do not know what actually happened with the air combat resulting in the capture of the IND pilot.

- IND states they shot down PAK F-16.

- PAK now states F-16 not involved, but they won't say what was involved. There are those that speculate JF-17 and I have seen some video of JF-17 doing some hot scrambles from their PAK bases. However, official Chinese state response is no comment. Thus, I assume JC-17 was involved.

- Now, PAK claims the pilot they captured is an Su-30 pilot. Thus, they shot down an Su-30. Su-30 is a two-seater. Do they have the second pilot? Is he MIA? If PAK does have the second pilot, IND now has a problem because they insisted it was an MiG-21 that crashed. In the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter but, as I mentioned above, there is much pride and emotion and Modi would have to explain to his people right before a Spring election that he lied.

5. There supposedly was another IND Su-30 shot down (on 27 Feb). I don't believe the PAK government has claimed that, though. However, like everywhere else, people leak info. The pilots have been named (I won't name them here). An IND Mi-17 also crashed that day. IND claims it was a tech malfunction, Kashmiri rebels claim they shot it down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #153
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Interesting development, and I'm not sure its a good one as Pakistan admits an open line of communication with Jaish-e-Mohammed

https://twitter.com/user/status/J1101907884563197954

A I can't see India believing this at all. B a government seemingly working with a group that operates in your country is going to lead to a not good result.

If we remember back to Afghanistan, the Taliban admitted to communications with Bin-Laden's group that was hiding there, and the American's demanded that they hand him over, when they refused the American's sent in the military.

Could this lead to a ground invasion to go after the camps? Maybe not, but its suddenly something that's a possibility

Old 03-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #154
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Interesting development, and I'm not sure its a good one as Pakistan admits an open line of communication with Jaish-e-Mohammed

https://twitter.com/user/status/J1101907884563197954

A I can't see India believing this at all. B a government seemingly working with a group that operates in your country is going to lead to a not good result.

If we remember back to Afghanistan, the Taliban admitted to communications with Bin-Laden's group that was hiding there, and the American's demanded that they hand him over, when they refused the American's sent in the military.

Could this lead to a ground invasion to go after the camps? Maybe not, but its suddenly something that's a possibility
I am getting a dead link to that tweet.

Pakistan is in a difficult situation. While the ISI provides support to JeM with varying degrees of nuance, it is the Saudis and UAE that actually finances them and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). The purpose of JeM and LeT is to perform dastardly acts in Iran (which, as an aside, is a reason why Pakistan has F-16s). India's problem is that these maniacs view India-occupied Kashmir as a suitable model to implement their brand of Sunni craziness. Now, India doesn't exactly treat the Kashmiris very well which allows JeM to make some headway in Kashmir. So, India isn't some innocent player in all of this.

You mention Afghanistan/USA and it perfectly highlights the usual American problem of being blinded by the tactical light so that they can't see the strategic picture. That is, they have to own up to their role in this part of Asia since 9/11 because they provided a large degree of "protection"/cover to Pakistan in order to facilitate the forever war in Afghanistan.

Fast forward to today and one of the myriad of geopolitical complexities here is that the USA is now relying upon Pakistan to reach a peace deal with the Taliban so that the USA can get out of Afghanistan. Thus, Pakistan assumes (probably correctly) that the USA won't pressure Pakistan on harbouring JeM and LeT. As further evidence in support, the USA and Saudi Arabia are set to bolster Pakistan with a $20 billion IMF loan. Call it a bribe I suppose, but USA needs Pakistan right now and Pakistan needs money. USA also does not want Pakistan drifting towards China.

Can India attack Pakistan with ground forces? That's certainly open to debate isn't it. On paper, they most certainly can. In reality, though, much of their conventional advantage has to guard against China. India also suffers from an ammunition shortage; I'm not certain how long they could maintain any attack.

What really looms over their head, though, is that Pakistan does not subscribe to the "no first use" nuclear strike. Remember, too, that the Pakistani military controls the nukes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #155
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I was talking to my friend who works on the base here, and he mentioned today that they recently have missiles setup to protect the local port. Probably nothing, but is something that is a little interesting - maybe a threat on the port or Putin buzzed the coast with one of his submarines?
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I am getting a dead link to that tweet.

Pakistan is in a difficult situation. While the ISI provides support to JeM with varying degrees of nuance, it is the Saudis and UAE that actually finances them and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). The purpose of JeM and LeT is to perform dastardly acts in Iran (which, as an aside, is a reason why Pakistan has F-16s). India's problem is that these maniacs view India-occupied Kashmir as a suitable model to implement their brand of Sunni craziness. Now, India doesn't exactly treat the Kashmiris very well which allows JeM to make some headway in Kashmir. So, India isn't some innocent player in all of this.

You mention Afghanistan/USA and it perfectly highlights the usual American problem of being blinded by the tactical light so that they can't see the strategic picture. That is, they have to own up to their role in this part of Asia since 9/11 because they provided a large degree of "protection"/cover to Pakistan in order to facilitate the forever war in Afghanistan.

Fast forward to today and one of the myriad of geopolitical complexities here is that the USA is now relying upon Pakistan to reach a peace deal with the Taliban so that the USA can get out of Afghanistan. Thus, Pakistan assumes (probably correctly) that the USA won't pressure Pakistan on harbouring JeM and LeT. As further evidence in support, the USA and Saudi Arabia are set to bolster Pakistan with a $20 billion IMF loan. Call it a bribe I suppose, but USA needs Pakistan right now and Pakistan needs money. USA also does not want Pakistan drifting towards China.

Can India attack Pakistan with ground forces? That's certainly open to debate isn't it. On paper, they most certainly can. In reality, though, much of their conventional advantage has to guard against China. India also suffers from an ammunition shortage; I'm not certain how long they could maintain any attack.

What really looms over their head, though, is that Pakistan does not subscribe to the "no first use" nuclear strike. Remember, too, that the Pakistani military controls the nukes.

Thanks for the post, I'm the first to admit, I'm not super strong on the politics of that area.

The link seems to have vanished, which is strange.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pakist...hmir-1.5040386

Two Pakistan soldiers killed in a border scrimmage.

I should clarify on my whole ground force invasion. What that usually means in this day and age is specialized or special forces insertions. I don't see a large scale invasion happening between two nuclear armed states. The only way that works is if you find a way to remove that nuclear threat.

The nuclear programs in Pakistan and India are always worrying me. And your right Pakistan has no no first rule language in their standard procedures.

I don't know what the firing process is, but the question I would pose to you when you say that the nukes are under Pakistan military control is this. Is there no political over sight over the release of nuclear weapons, because that to me seems very strange and could lead to all kinds of forms of nuclear blackmail.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
I was talking to my friend who works on the base here, and he mentioned today that they recently have missiles setup to protect the local port. Probably nothing, but is something that is a little interesting - maybe a threat on the port or Putin buzzed the coast with one of his submarines?

Sorry I don't know where you are but I assume you're talking an American military base?

Old 03-02-2019, 09:13 PM   #158
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know what the firing process is, but the question I would pose to you when you say that the nukes are under Pakistan military control is this. Is there no political over sight over the release of nuclear weapons, because that to me seems very strange and could lead to all kinds of forms of nuclear blackmail.
No, there isn't any civilian oversight. The Generals determine if and when the nukes are used. Recall, I mentioned Pak's monetary problems. The USA has to tread carefully here vis pressuring Pakistan and JeM/LeT. Pakistan could sell nukes on the black market as kind of an FU.

The Balochistan Liberation Front seems to have seized an opportunity in the past day or so. As Pakistan has moved military units from the Balochistan province to the LoC, the BLF has stepped up attacks on PAK army installations.

Over in Afghanistan, the Taliban have attacked the former Camp Bastion (current Camp Shorabak) in Helmand province. There has been an ongoing battle for the better part of a day now. Dozens of Taliban and Afghan Security forces KIA. No word on American casualties, if any. I can't vouch for the photos/video. It's either very good Taliban propaganda or a devastating blow to NATO.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1101847568856858626

https://twitter.com/user/status/1101858503734394880

This video apparently is video from one of the clashes between PAK/IND and the Taliban uploaded it for propaganda purposes. Language heard is Urdo? Who knows.

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 03-02-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Update to a Tweet.
Baron von Kriterium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #159
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is some Vice combat footage taken in Baghuz, eastern Syria. This tiny bit of real estate is all that Daesh occupies now. I'll add a caveat for the typical scenes of dead bodies, so fair warning.

The camera follows a hodge-podge collection of Arab militia, SDF fighters, and Western volunteers as they engage Daesh in a built-up area.

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 03-07-2019 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Clarified some info
Baron von Kriterium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #160
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fascinating Times story about the search for the USS Wasp, a sunken WW2 aircraft carrier, including some impressive pictures.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/m...t-carrier.html
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: