Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default External Air Conditioner advice

Sorry if this is a topic that has been covered over and over...I did a search and only found info on portable/window mount AC units.

So, at the request of my wife we are getting a legit AC unit this year. I'm hoping to beat a warm weather rush by getting this out of the way soon. We have always used portable models in the past but with the addition of our second child we now don’t have a free room in which to mount a portable until. As such, it looks like I'll have to pony up for a "real AC unit".

Anyone have a particularly good or bad experience with any local vendors or brands? Any tips for me before I start shopping?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am assuming that you are talking about a Central A/C unit? If you are not, then disregard the remainder of my post....

About 5 years ago we opted to have CAC in our house, and I have no regrets. We paid about $4,000 for the unit, install and a drip type central humidifier.

Our main AC unit is a LuxAir and it was installed by a guy who did this as a hobby. Everything has been ok.

I think you two major decisions are:
1. do I go for a unit that is more efficient over the long term (more initial $), or get something that is cheaper to buy and more expensive over the long term (less initial $)
2. Where do I mount this bad boy - on a patio stone on the ground, or go with brackets attached to the house.

We/I opted to go with a more expensive unit mounted to the house. Later on, we opted to get our west facing windows tinited and add celing fans to the west facing room (these are the kids rooms in our house).

Our basement is pretty cold, but that ensures that I get to watch the TV down there all of the time......enjoy!!!

our install guy was recommended by friends, but as with any type of large purchase, I'd recommend being wary of the guy that can do it for a substaintially lower price than others as surely he is not installing the same quality unit, or doing a quality install........
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, central A/C is the way to go. I had window units previously and the upgrade is totally worth it. Some of my tips:

- Disregard the "you only need it a few days per year in Calgary" crowd. Yes, your typical summer will only have 10 days where you need it; then there's usually another 30 days where it's just really nice. There's nothing like being able to enjoy the few hot summer nights; knowing you will also be able to sleep and not relying on dropping temperatures.

- Spend the money (part 1) Make sure you get one that can handle your house. If it's a question of a 2 ton "should be enough" or spending $500 more on a 3 ton; spend the money. It's very hard to upgrade later on.

- Spend the money (part 2) Get somebody who knows what they are doing. I had a friend of a friend do mine for just under $3000. However somebody else had to charge the system ($300) and then the next year had to call a refrigeration company to fix the mistakes he made. ($700) So I ended up no further ahead; and had a year of frustration and electricity bills from the system running longer than it had to.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got mine last year. Called Fagnan's and Arpi's. Both were nice guys, but got Fagnan's to do it as they price matched and used Carrier (better brand).

No complaints at all. My only advice is get quotes ASAP, as they do discounts before May 1, I believe. I think I got 10% off or something like that.

Mine was about $4500 because I had to get a special suitcase style that fits under a deck. Normal box style ones can start about $2500-ish. Get a quote though as prices change.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been toying with this idea for a while, but I may potentially sell and move in the next couple of years. Does anyone know if central AC is something that you can recover in your selling price, or is (at the very least) a bit of a selling point? Particularly in a relatively small home?

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-18-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Does anyone know if central AC is something that you can recover in your selling price, or is (at the very least) a bit of a selling point?
It was appealing seeing one already installed when I bought my house.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I have been toying with this idea for a while, but I may potentially sell and move in the next couple of years. Does anyone know if central AC is something that you can recover in your selling price, or is (at the very least) a bit of a selling point? Particularly in a relatively small home?
We just purchased a new home and it has central air. It's a nice to have feature that might set you apart from homes with the same comparables but not a deal breaker. It will add more interest in your home vs homes in the same area/size without it.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is nothing better than being able to control the temperature of your house in the summertime.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Central air is some of the best money we've spent. Our install was around 3K, but the lines were already roughed in.

As for size - it is important that it is "right-sized" for your home. A unit too small will run constantly and still won't keep up on hot days. A unit too big will kick in and out frequently.

Some are much quieter than others. If it will be beside your deck you'll probably want a quieter one. Good luck shopping.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Central air is some of the best money we've spent. Our install was around 3K, but the lines were already roughed in.

As for size - it is important that it is "right-sized" for your home. A unit too small will run constantly and still won't keep up on hot days. A unit too big will kick in and out frequently.

Some are much quieter than others. If it will be beside your deck you'll probably want a quieter one. Good luck shopping.
Truth. Once you've had central AC you'd have a hard time doing without. It's not that big an investment for the utility and comfort gained. Further, I couldn't agree more that getting professional installation with reputable hardware is the only way to go. This is critical home infrastructure - you don't want it installed by amateurs.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh and one other thing. If you have kids, it is a God send. We had a baby and had to leave the window open, and his room was a sauna anytime it is over 15C.

Now it is seal up windows tight and quiet and it is nice and cool all night. He and I sleep like a baby!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Just ensure that you get as many a 5 quotes....the competition is fierce in Calgary and a person can save $500.00 to $1000.00 when choosing between companies.

Always check BBB accreditation and never go with the cheapest guy.

Make sure your furnace will operate optimally with the retrofit and ensure you get the ducts cleaned by a reputable duct cleaner like myself before the retrofit of the air conditioning. This will ensure that the air conditioning coil will remain clean and work properly for years to come.

A entire service of the furnace is essential and going with any company that doesnt think it matters is robbing you blind
....just my thoughts.

****I want to ensure Calgarypuck as a whole gets the best HVAC service possible since I have served 60+ people on here ...shameless plug i know but true.

I hope this helps you....see my thread in the CP power ring for Furnace and duct cleaning info and testimonials.

Keith

Last edited by EVERLAST; 04-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I actually just got A/C installed about 2 weeks ago (I take full responsibility for the snow and cold ever since...sorry). I purchased it through Costco and it was installed by Service Experts. My house is a little under 2400 sq. feet and I have one furnace. Full cost was just over $5 grand, but Costco gives you a $100 gift card for every $1000 spent, plus the 2% for the executive membership, plus 1% for putting it on the Amex. So total "discount" was a little under $700. This included EVERYTHING - the permit from the city ()which they took care of), the cement square thing the put the compressor on, and everything else. They installed a Lennox unit and I decided to upgrade the compressor a bit to get the better SEER rating and a quieter unit. I believe the upgrade was around $700 or so. They had even better compressors, but the upgrades were over $2k more and the salesman told me you will never see a ROI in utility bill savings. the upgraded compressor also came with a 10 year warranty as well.

The entire process was excellent actually. The sales guy really knew what he was doing and was very familiar with City Of Calgary code. There are quite a few rules regarding placement of the compressor, by the way, so make sure you talk to someone that knows what they are talking about. Install took about 5 hours and was painless.

During the electrical inspection the next day, the inspector actually mentioned that he likes working with Service Experts electricians because they know what they are doing. Small stuff like using the proper fuse, electrical wire, etc.

I highly recommend checking them out and can't wait for the hot days to start!
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #14
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
When my husband and I were looking for a new home I wasn't able to go with him for all of the look-sees, my #1 criteria was CAC. The home we ended up buying has CAC.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesoholic View Post
When my husband and I were looking for a new home I wasn't able to go with him for all of the look-sees, my #1 criteria was CAC. The home we ended up buying has CAC.
So, just to be clear, you love the CAC?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I had mine installed I went to Arpi's directly and they were able to match the "costco" promo ...but in discount off the unit (not gift cards). You had to be clear that you knew the Costco Promo exists and that's why you called them.

Also One thing I hadn't concidered, but worked out for me is: if you get A/C installed in April (probably May too) you are going to get the experianced year round installer. These companies bring a bunch of temporary crews on for the peak hot season and they spread their expertise a bit thin (according to the guy that installed my unit).
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had one installed last year and all I can say is get the right size one for your house. The one on the right runs almost twice as much as mine. Once you go CAC you will never go back.

My price = Supply and install one 16 seer Tempstar 3 ton a/c unit with 10 year warranty and 5 year No Hassle warranty. Includes wiring, disconnect, breaker, coil, condenser, line set, low ambient, wall brackets and startup. $3925.00 all tax in. http://www.tempstar.com/products/16ac.html

PM me if you want the contact.

AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AMG_G For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i opted for a high efficiency CAC and mine is bigger than the one on the right - but we dropped ours in about 5 or 6 years ago - things may have changed since then
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Just ensure that you get as many a 5 quotes....the competition is fierce in Calgary and a person can save $500.00 to $1000.00 when choosing between companies.

Always check BBB accreditation and never go with the cheapest guy.

Make sure your furnace will operate optimally with the retrofit and ensure you get the ducts cleaned by a reputable duct cleaner like myself before the retrofit of the air conditioning. This will ensure that the air conditioning coil will remain clean and work properly for years to come.

A entire service of the furnace is essential and going with any company that doesnt think it matters is robbing you blind
....just my thoughts.

****I want to ensure Calgarypuck as a whole gets the best HVAC service possible since I have served 60+ people on here ...shameless plug i know but true.

I hope this helps you....see my thread in the CP power ring for Furnace and duct cleaning info and testimonials.

Keith
Ya, I can vouch for Keith. He cleaned my furnace before the AC install and did an awesome job.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehdianman View Post
so, just to be clear, you love the cac?