Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #1301
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This kind of goes beyond science into philosophy, but it was an interesting read and I'd thought I'd share, but not starting a thread because I want to get some work done this week and this discussion could easily consume all available free time lol.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/co...n-determinism/
Determinism has to be true to some extent given that, as per Fabric of the Cosmos, every moment from the instant of the big bang to the end of the universe exists and has always existed in a 4-dimensional space-time loaf that we simply "move through".
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #1302
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

NASA finds planet that could sustain life

Found orbiting habitable zone of sun-like star

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/.../19074016.html

The most Earth-like planet ever discovered is circling a star 600 light years away, a key finding in an ongoing quest to learn if life exists beyond Earth, scientists said on Monday.

The planet, called Kepler-22b, joins a list of more than 500 planets found to orbit stars beyond our solar system. It is the smallest and the best positioned to have liquid water on its surface -- among the ingredients necessary for life on Earth.

"We are homing in on the true Earth-sized, habitable planets," said San Jose State University astronomer Natalie Batalha, deputy science team lead for NASA's Kepler Space Telescope that discovered the star.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #1303
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
NASA finds planet that could sustain life

Found orbiting habitable zone of sun-like star

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/.../19074016.html

The most Earth-like planet ever discovered is circling a star 600 light years away, a key finding in an ongoing quest to learn if life exists beyond Earth, scientists said on Monday.

The planet, called Kepler-22b, joins a list of more than 500 planets found to orbit stars beyond our solar system. It is the smallest and the best positioned to have liquid water on its surface -- among the ingredients necessary for life on Earth.

"We are homing in on the true Earth-sized, habitable planets," said San Jose State University astronomer Natalie Batalha, deputy science team lead for NASA's Kepler Space Telescope that discovered the star.
There was a great Nova Science Now that featured scientists looking for habitable planets and how they go about their search:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/h...en-earths.html
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #1304
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Voyager Discovers Cosmic Purgatory

Quote:
The spacecraft Voyager 1 is now 11 billion miles from the sun, at the very end of the solar system. It's peacefully sailing in a new region between us and interstellar space. NASA poetically calls it cosmic purgatory.
The cosmic purgatory is not full of souls wandering in angst. At least, Voyager 1 doesn't have any instrument to register these. But it has other instruments to measure more material things, like solar particles, magnetic fields and cosmic rays.

Using its Low Energy Charged Particle instrument, Cosmic Ray Subsystem and Magnetometer Voyager 1 has been collecting data for the past year, showing that there's no solar wind going either way. Like in the Earth's oceans doldrums, space here is serene, unperturbed.

This stagnation region is an area in which "the wind of charged particles streaming out from our sun has calmed, our solar system's magnetic field has piled up, and higher-energy particles from inside our solar system appear to be leaking out into interstellar space." Like a body, this is the skin of our solar system.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #1305
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

sciam Scientific American
Has the Higgs Been Discovered? Physicists Gear Up for Watershed Announcement bit.ly/rS58Qs

Has the Higgs Been Discovered? Physicists Gear Up for Watershed Announcement

Rumors are flying about a December 13 update on the search for the long-sought Higgs boson at Europe's Large Hadron Collider

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...m?id=higgs-lhc

Last edited by troutman; 12-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #1306
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah been hearing that buzz for a bit now.

That would suck.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #1307
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah been hearing that buzz for a bit now.

That would suck.
Why would that suck?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #1308
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That would fit within the model they have.. which I guess is good news for the model, but bad news since we know that that model is ultimately incomplete.

Not finding the Higgs or finding it somewhere completely different would have led to new physics or at least a hint as to how combine quantum theory with gravity.

Basically something completely unexpected would push the current logjam, but finding what you expect doesn't help on that front.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #1309
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would fit within the model they have.. which I guess is good news for the model, but bad news since we know that that model is ultimately incomplete.

Not finding the Higgs or finding it somewhere completely different would have led to new physics or at least a hint as to how combine quantum theory with gravity.

Basically something completely unexpected would push the current logjam, but finding what you expect doesn't help on that front.
Gotcha. I only have a rudimentary understanding of these things but have taken an interest in them recently. (I still have a lot of NOVAs to get through.)
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #1310
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Gotcha. I only have a rudimentary understanding of these things but have taken an interest in them recently. (I still have a lot of NOVAs to get through.)
If you are interested in learning more I would highly suggest Professor Matt Strassler's Blog - Of Particular Significance

Plenty of articles from basic introductions all the way through to physics I will never stand a chance in hell of understanding

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaolinFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #1311
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Novas are a fantastic way to get up to speed quickly on what's happening, but I found the following shows to be the best and most inclusive ways of getting up to speed on things (even for a complete novice like my wife who is interested in clothes and Top Chef).

Check it, yo:

http://www.ted.com/talks/brian_cox_o...rcollider.html
http://www.newton.tv/search-giants-b...-blocks-matter

There's also some other BBC thing about the hadron collider that he did, I can't find a link or remember the name, but it was awesome.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #1312
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Maybe this will be better appreciated here:

Last edited by HPLovecraft; 12-08-2011 at 09:26 PM.
HPLovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HPLovecraft For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #1313
HPLovecraft

Exp:

A very interesting bit of information concerning the Higgs boson gotten from the science20 blog: if it is discovered below a certain mass threshold, it would, basically (based on current leading theories) mean that the vacuum of space is unstable, and the universe decays (something called False Vaccuum Decay.) The life expectancy ogf the universe would be based on the mass of the Higgs particle. The lower the mass, the shorter the life of the universe.

Sascha Voneghr, in his blog, mentions that vaccuum decay could be triggered by cosmic collisions or even -- gasp! -- partical acceleration experiments! When will this new doomsday theory hit the net? Who knows!

Either way, if it happened, or (as might be likely) has already begun to happen, the decay would occur and spread at the speed of light, and you'd be gone before you even knew it.

http://www.science20.com/alpha_meme/...universe-85357

Damn space, you scary.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1314
HPLovecraft

Exp:

I'll also add that Tomasso Dorigo may have cryptically leaked the reported Higgs mass at CMS at 124.6 GeV. He may also have leaked the "best guess" of the Higgs mass in another article of his at 125.5 GeV, which is in between the numbers likely to come out of CMS and ATLAS.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #1315
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here's an interesting study on infants that appears to suggest that morality is imprinted very very early.

Money quote for me:

Quote:
When we make moral judgments, we do so subtly and selectively. We recognise that explicitly antisocial acts can seem appropriate in the right circumstances. We know that the enemy of our enemy can be our friend. Now, Kiley Hamlin from the University of British Columbia has shown that this capacity for finer social appraisals dates back to infancy – we develop it somewhere between our fifth and eighth months of life.

All these kids must have been receiving religious teaching in utero and/or through sign language when they were 5 months old
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #1316
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

CERN live webcast

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #1317
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
It's been running like crap for me since 8 this morning. Is it just my connection or anyone else having the same problem?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #1318
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
It's been running like crap for me since 8 this morning. Is it just my connection or anyone else having the same problem?
Same, Groovy Gecko, not too groovy! I'll have to wait for the Coles Notes, this is not watchable.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #1319
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Not fata but I've been reading news on Kepler-22b a little.

-600 light years away(about 3500 trillion miles away)
-Orbits it's star every 290 days
-about 2.5 times the size of earth
-average temp about 70 degrees F
-should have a large magnetic field(if it has a surface)
-would have no problem keeping an atmosphere
-gravity would be a problem for humans though (scientists figure at least twice as much as earth)
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #1320
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Same, Groovy Gecko, not too groovy! I'll have to wait for the Coles Notes, this is not watchable.
They can build some of the most complex, intricate machinery on the planet, yet can't set up a simple, stable stream!

Reminds me of a Seinfeld quote (as things often do):

Quote:
Originally Posted by "George and Kramer
"I really cannot comprehend how stupid people can be sometimes. Can you comprehend it?"

"No, I can't comprehend it."

"I mean, we can put a man on the moon but we're still basically very stupid. The guy who's car this is, he could be one of the guys that built the rocket. You see what I'm saying?"

"Well, yeah, he can build the rocket, but he's still stupid for double-parking and blocking somebody in."

"So you really understand my point about building the rocket and double-parking?"

"On the one hand he's smart with rockets and on the other hand he's dumb with parking."

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science