Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #2561
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harvey Keitel was the host for the repeat episode of SNL from Jan. 1993. Madonna was the musical guest and she was in the opening mocking Marilyn Monroe in a happy inauguration song to President Clinton (Phil Hartman). It was hilarious. David Spade doing his bit on Weekend News was good and the skit involving Keitel on the toilet and Kevin Nealon as the bathroom attendant was awesome.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:56 AM   #2562
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was a poor episode.

Also, why is every musical guest's mix all f'ed up on SNL?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #2563
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I thought it was a poor episode.

Also, why is every musical guest's mix all f'ed up on SNL?

Yea, I was expecting better with this episode. Levy was good, but he didn't have much to work with. That wedding sketch and the Super Bowl song and dance bit were two of the most unfunny things I've ever seen on that show.

That being said, the Zillow commercial parody and the "It Gets Better" sketch were both hilarious, so full marks for those at least. And Weekend Update continues to be great.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #2564
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

In SNL terms, I think any episode with one great sketch and a couple good ones is automatically a good episode, so this one was good to me, but it could have been better for sure. A couple sketches outright sucked. Bridgers was great, Weekend Update was good as usual.

The biggest pet peeve I have with any episode is sketches where they can't figure out how to close it so they do some completely random nonsense. The COVID Superbowl party was the one this week. Good premise, some funny moments, and then they start eating chili with their hands... alright... weird, but go ahead and end it on that I guess (they pulled a similar type of turn with the song and dance sketch ending)... no wait, now it's Fauci and the whole thing was a PSA... weak, but alright.... end it on that.... no wait, now you're shoehorning in a PSY impersonation and ending it with Gangam Style? Just terrible.

Zillow will go down as one of the funniest and well-executed sketches this year though. So, you know, good with the bad.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #2565
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Zillow - I want to flip that!

Child Cancellation Project
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #2566
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe I was still on a high from the Flames game but I thought it was the best SNL of the season so far. Enjoyed every sketch and the music. Dan seemed engaged and had great chemistry with the cast. The show just seemed to have a bit more "energy" than usual.

I've also really been enjoying the 90s classic re-runs. So fun to see Myers, Sandler, Spade, Farley, in their prime before they became superstars. Also enjoy the cultural/political placement of the show then as compared to now.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #2567
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

for those who missed it.
CBC has some links to clips from the show.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...-snl-1.5904578
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:02 AM   #2568
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regina King tried her best, but other than the digital short and Weekend Update, it was a painfully unfunny show.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #2569
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Regina King tried her best, but other than the digital short and Weekend Update, it was a painfully unfunny show.
It was an awful episode. Even Weekend Update disappointed me this time. The Peletaunt one was pretty good though.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #2570
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Not many good sketches.

I liked the Feminists performance at the school - “sloppy joanne”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #2571
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rock was the host for the repeat episode of SNL from April 2002. It was an excellent show. The hospital skit with Farrell, Poehler, Kattan, and the Rock was bleeping hilarious. The Big Foot skit with Farrell and the Rock was funny as well. Andrew WK was the musical guest.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #2572
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

These older repeat episodes have been far more entertaining than the new ones. This is definitely one of SNL's down years. Weekend Update has been solid, and there's the occasional sketch or commercial parody where they knock it out of the park. But those moments are few and far between. They're really struggling this season.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #2573
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's been so bad. It's almost weird the way we're wired to enjoy SNL differently than other shows and wait for the good skits, maybe the live aspect makes you route for them to deliver more than pre-recorded shows?

Either way, if other comedies failed to make people laugh at the same percentage rate as SNL they'd be cancelled so ****ing fast.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #2574
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's been so bad. It's almost weird the way we're wired to enjoy SNL differently than other shows and wait for the good skits, maybe the live aspect makes you route for them to deliver more than pre-recorded shows?

Either way, if other comedies failed to make people laugh at the same percentage rate as SNL they'd be cancelled so ****ing fast.
The live TV aspect definitely gives them grace, and also keeps people tuning in because it's different than any other type of TV. But if you listen to people like Hader, Meyers, Mulaney etc... they fully admit that if you're at 15-20% funny vs not, its a good day. And a lot of times, what the staff thinks is hilarious actually tanks, while stuff they thought was awful ends up exploding (IE David S Pumpkins). It's a live show that's written in like 2 days. Expectations are adjusted for that for sure.

The real saviors are the on-screen talent who can take nothing premises and make them hilarious with just the right delivery, or by adding their own improv. They've lost a lot of talented people in the last few years. It'll rebound again once people find their footing/are replaced.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #2575
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It should make you appreciate really funny scripted comedies and how that extra time they have to craft stories and jokes makes all the difference.

We still watch SNL weekly for those gems but they've definitely been fewer and far between this season. Dan Levy's episode has been the highlight so far this season.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #2576
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Dan Levy's episode has been the highlight so far this season.
Levy’s episode had some good bits, but to me the funniest episode by far this season was the Bill Burr episode.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:47 PM   #2577
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guessing the audience was full of 20 something women tonight. The hooting and hollering was over the top.

Every single reference was screams.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 PM   #2578
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Guessing the audience was full of 20 something women tonight. The hooting and hollering was over the top.

I hate these types of episodes and hosts. It makes it unwatchable and the writers script it to get these reactions. I'm not sure they play up the sex appeal of female hosts in the same manner anymore but for males it is fine. The monologue tonight was so cringeworthy.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #2579
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Yea, that was annoying and unfunny.

Also, I'm clearly getting old because I had no idea who the f*** Rege-Jean Page or Bad Bunny are. I had to google them both.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #2580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ended up skipping most of them. Watched 30 seconds....next! Weekend Update still great though. The Freddy Krueger bit was good. The rest of the show was baaaaad.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote