Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2020, 02:14 PM   #2501
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I didn't enjoy Wiig, I did enjoy the musical guest.

I find that often the mix is off on SNL, but I thought she sounded good (oh please don't tell me she was just moving her lips).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #2502
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dua Lip Synch.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #2503
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dua Lip Synch.
Dude you are raining on all my parades today.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #2504
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341188457075453958
Old 12-22-2020, 06:24 AM   #2505
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paul Rudd was hosting on the repeat episode from Dec. 2013. Kristen Wiig was in the opening. Will Ferrell was in the opening monologue and was in the drunk salesmen skit. One Direction was the musical guest and overall it was a good show.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #2506
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Paul Rudd was hosting on the repeat episode from Dec. 2013. Kristen Wiig was in the opening. Will Ferrell was in the opening monologue and was in the drunk salesmen skit. One Direction was the musical guest and overall it was a good show.
I was just coming to post about this. Rewatching this episode form only 7 years really shows how far SNL has fallen. It was such a well done episode and laughs with every skit
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #2507
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wiig was majorly botox'd. Her normally expressive face was frozen all night.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2508
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is definitely one of their down years. There have been a few good episodes (Bill Burr, Mulaney, Chappelle), and a few sketches here and there that have stood out. But the majority of the shows just haven't been very good.

I have no doubt that they'll bounce back like they always do. But man, this season has been a struggle, save for Weekend Update which is clearly the best thing the show has going right now.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #2509
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I've said this before, and will argue again - SNL from the very beginning always has roughly the same hit rate. Most shows have 2-3 good skits, some years have 2-3 shows where most of the skits were good. This is the challenge of a Live show where writing occurs basically over two days.

If you watch old shows in their entirety (not just the really good episodes that get replayed) there are always plenty of misses.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #2510
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've said this before, and will argue again - SNL from the very beginning always has roughly the same hit rate. Most shows have 2-3 good skits, some years have 2-3 shows where most of the skits were good. This is the challenge of a Live show where writing occurs basically over two days.

If you watch old shows in their entirety (not just the really good episodes that get replayed) there are always plenty of misses.
I don’t disagree but there can definitely be stretches of years where it’s just not as good as it was or would get later. They have lost some really great cast members the last few years that they just haven’t replaced. Not to mention MacKinnon, Bryant, Thompson, Bayer probably all looking to buck out in the near future.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:44 AM   #2511
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but it seems like they're doing fewer, longer sketches this year. I assume that's a COVID thing to minimize the number of set and costume changes required in each episode.

If that is happening, it has two downsides: If it's a weak sketch, it just becomes a long, weak sketch; and even if it's a good sketch, there's only so many ways to tell the same joke before it starts becoming repetitive, which will make even a good sketch seem bad.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #2512
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Nope, I respectfully reject this. There is another key factor missing that negates the idea that it's always the same and we just remember the good. The show also goes through growing pains where the current/new cast is trying to find chemistry, characters, inside/reoccurring jokes etc.

Right now is a bad period where they clearly don't have a strong cast with a huge lack of chemistry. A skit needs to be perfectly written right now to be a hit, the cast will rarely push anything extra of out it or create something of nothing.

Look at Hader, Wiig, Armison etc. Huge chemistry, huge skill, regularly making mediocre premises just land in hilarious ways, with the chemistry and breaking between cast turning even some bad sketches into memorable ones.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #2513
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I was just coming to post about this. Rewatching this episode form only 7 years really shows how far SNL has fallen. It was such a well done episode and laughs with every skit
maybe someone else has already pointed it out but I guess another issue is that the rerun episodes are 60 minutes long instead of 90 so they usually cut one song, a few dud sketches and truncate the weekend update (as best I can tell)

so even the Wiig episode would become like: Cold open, monologue, the christmas morning robe song sketch, the teacher sketch, probably the Grinch one, most of weekend update and one song and the episode then while still without anything amazing, doesn't look as weak

otherwise I agree this year isn't so strong, but there is a cast under transition and I imagine covid isn't helping on multiple levels
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:24 PM   #2514
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Don't really watch or pay attention to this show much, and maybe it's even an old skit but I just saw it for the first time, the one with that girl from Bridesmaids playing the Mom and the Dog getting more presents. Haven't actually laughed out loud on anything on the internet for a while but that was gold.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #2515
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recall someone (a former cast member) saying that SNL always went from super to mediocre casts consistently, almost every complete cast change cycle. One good-one bad and so on. Possible explanation was that viewers like some casts so much that the next one inevitably becomes a disappointment regardless of its own merits. I give this theory some credibility. Julia Lois-Dreyfuss (who I believe said that) admittedly was in the "bad"-cycle cast and is not remembered for her SNL performances much. Same with a few other successful comedians like Chris Rock.

Regarding the current state of SNL, I disagree with troutman's viewpoint on it being the same hit'n'miss as always. I think it is suffering from over-politicization of its material and from becoming way too partisan. SNL used to be relatively apolitical and focusing mainly on being funny with various degrees of success. Since Trump, SNL's material has been decidedly left-leaning and very political, which makes it a lot less funny even when skits are good and hitting their intended marks.

Host selection has become puzzling. Mulaney hoisting for the 5th time in 2 years is plain ridiculous. Even Wiig: other than "Bridesmaids", what has she done post-SNL to deserve 4 host appearances?

Also, musical guests are now a lot less deserving of an SNL stage than they used to be (unless you really like rap music and teen-pop).
Old 12-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #2516
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Host selection has become puzzling. Mulaney hoisting for the 5th time in 2 years is plain ridiculous. Even Wiig: other than "Bridesmaids", what has she done post-SNL to deserve 4 host appearances?

Also, musical guests are now a lot less deserving of an SNL stage than they used to be (unless you really like rap music and teen-pop).
its an interesting point re: hosts. I guess 2020 in particular is hard as there isn't as much stuff for celebs to promote in general and I guess in Wiig's case there is Wonder woman coming up

I think there have likely always been people that have been 'go tos' as hosts more than their specific projects of the day may have merited. Buck Henry hosted the show 5 times in the first two or three years I think. Baldwin and Goodman (yes both famous guys ) have hosted over 30 times between them- I think sometimes you just find someone that fits well (or is willing to say yes I suppose). they do seem to like to draw on former SNL cast/writers. it is possible this is happening more than ever, you could be right there

I think one thing they need to do with this (or any) cast is let them develop and rely less on guest stars. the cast should be able to provide the president and president elect etc. I was happy to see them push out Moffat as Biden- I don't know whether it will work or not but they need to try
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #2517
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I think one thing they need to do with this (or any) cast is let them develop and rely less on guest stars. the cast should be able to provide the president and president elect etc. I was happy to see them push out Moffat as Biden- I don't know whether it will work or not but they need to try
I don't mind star actors as guest or surprise guest appearances at all. It makes an episode exciting. Remember De Niro and Pesci in street clothes coming in unexpectedly without a prepped script and beating one of the Weekend Update hosts (can't recall whom) with baseball bats in response to criticism? I heard that was completely impromptu and it was hilarious.

What bothers me a lot is some form of "SNL-family" nepotism, which is developing over there. They keep bringing in ex-cast members like Rudolph or Dratch for no good reason all the time.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #2518
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I don't mind star actors as guest or surprise guest appearances at all. It makes an episode exciting. Remember De Niro and Pesci in street clothes coming in unexpectedly without a prepped script and beating one of the Weekend Update hosts (can't recall whom) with baseball bats in response to criticism? I heard that was completely impromptu and it was hilarious.

What bothers me a lot is some form of "SNL-family" nepotism, which is developing over there. They keep bringing in ex-cast members like Rudolph or Dratch for no good reason all the time.
I think we are on the same page here- occasional guest stars are awesome. 'guest stars' becoming cast members because they play the president is a concern
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #2519
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think I read Lorne Michaels to say that the criticism that the current season is not as good as before, started in Season 2 and became an annual complaint ever since.

Musical guests were certainly more edgy and artistic in the beginning. Now it is definitely more "pop".

Political satire has been difficult in the time of Trump - the reality is so absurd you can't make it more silly.

I think I would rather have cameos from top SNL alumni, than random celebrities.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #2520
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I read Lorne Michaels to say that the criticism that the current season is not as good as before, started in Season 2 and became an annual complaint ever since...
What else would he say? It's his show.