Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #481
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Got the job! Start next week!

Final paperwork etc coming tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #482
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Paperwork signed.

Start Tuesday.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #483
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am thinking of applying to a company that I interviewed with back in early 2018. The same senior management is still there. I thought that interview went well, but unfortunately I did not get called back. A new similar position has opened up.

Question - should I acknowledge having interviewed before? Or apply as though it is a brand knew day and nobody remembers?
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #484
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I am thinking of applying to a company that I interviewed with back in early 2018. The same senior management is still there. I thought that interview went well, but unfortunately I did not get called back. A new similar position has opened up.

Question - should I acknowledge having interviewed before? Or apply as though it is a brand knew day and nobody remembers?

I wouldn't acknowledge the previous interview. If they remembered you and liked you at the time you should get another interview. If they didn't see a fit then you probably won't. I'd guess they won't remember though unless the person managing the application process is the same and distinctly remembers.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #485
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If it comes up you need to be prepared to answer why now? what have you done lately? have you added value to make you a better candidate? In any case, depending how the interview goes you could proactively address any shortcomings and sell yourself.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #486
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it can also be framed positively. Enthusiasm to work for that particular company and being excited that another opportunity has presented itself.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #487
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the help in this thread.

For this job I have added a couple of skills through experience that may help.

My wife went through a hassle with her old job in the summer (they wanted her to go from backroom admin person in one department to a front line worker in another department).
Long story short - she was out of work for 3 weeks, got 3 interviews, and starts her new job on Monday.

I've been unemployed 9 months so far (this time around). 2 interviews. Still looking.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #488
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate the help in this thread.

For this job I have added a couple of skills through experience that may help.

My wife went through a hassle with her old job in the summer (they wanted her to go from backroom admin person in one department to a front line worker in another department).
Long story short - she was out of work for 3 weeks, got 3 interviews, and starts her new job on Monday.

I've been unemployed 9 months so far (this time around). 2 interviews. Still looking.
Keep networking and creating that extended "team" that is on the lookout for you man. It can take time especially when you're looking for specific roles to suit your skillsets/interests. Am in the same boat except wife can't work as required for elder care. Stressful for sure.
Old 11-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #489
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My wife and her business partner started an Emissions Management company in early September. They have been insanely busy, the uptick has been great. They are hiring! I believe, ideally, in the sub 5 years experience range.

Check it out https://www.linkedin.com/company/hig...ns-management/
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #490
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
React0r copy writer

React0r.com focuses on the digital startup space by providing research, planning and development assistance in a flexible way.

We're looking for a contract copywriter to work on both internal and client projects covering a wide variety of marketing strategies (eg. social media, usability, online marketing, and traditional advertising).

You will:
  • Collaborate within a team to craft high-quality copy.
  • Participate and advise in campaign development and execution.
  • Interact with project teams to understand business objectives and audience demographics.
  • Work on multiple projects simultaneously.

You have:
  • Demonstrable metrics of your copy’s success by CTR, conversion rate, and ROAS.
  • A keen enthusiasm and understanding of web trends and technologies.
  • Exceptional writing skills, including the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for varied projects with diverse audiences.
  • An ability to effectively juggle diverse writing demands.
  • A meticulous eye for detail.

You receive:
  • Flexible hours
  • Work from home
  • Competitive compensation
  • A chance to work with varied clients on interesting project

Please send your resumes and cover letters to gregba@react0r.com
If you know anyone that would be interesting please send them to me.

Thanks

Bump still looking to fill this role, and interested in Junior developers.
I've posted these both on Ziprecruiter, but would love to help out Calgarypuck.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #491
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Add on, if you or your friends has UI/UX experience we'd love to hear from you.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #492
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Am considering a pivot from O&G into IT or programming/developing. Have always been handy with computers, programs, helping others, etc... (aka nerdly but not weirdly nerdly). What's the route and requirements (simplistically) to being eligible to apply for this type of role?
Old 11-12-2020, 01:13 PM   #493
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Am considering a pivot from O&G into IT or programming/developing. Have always been handy with computers, programs, helping others, etc... (aka nerdly but not weirdly nerdly). What's the route and requirements (simplistically) to being eligible to apply for this type of role?

There are lots of really good online courses to be able to get the training you need. Stackskills is a good place to look.

There are courses around general development and coding. Its a good place to start and the courses aren't prohibitive in terms of costs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #494
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm the admin on the Calgary Design & Development Slack channel. There are lots of jobs being posted on there these days.

We have a little over a thousand members and the jobs seem to get some decent traction.

You can sign up to the channel here: https://communityinviter.com/apps/yy...nd-development
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #495
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thanks, that's awesome

Old 11-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #496
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been contract for a few years, and lucky enough to be maintaining a decent workload. But things have slowed down lately, so I've been doing a bit of job hunting. I've had an unsolicited recruiter reach out to me for a position, and the experience is kinda driving me nuts.
There is apparently no written job description. To me this makes it tough to judge if I am right for the position and prepare my resume etc.
Long questionnaire with questions like "what other jobs have you applied for? and "what other recruiters are you working with?" Not sure what business it is of theirs what other opportunities I am chasing.

Is this all fairly par for the course with recruiters or did I just get an odd one?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #497
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd...very odd. Nearly all recruiters have told me who the job is with. In a couple of cases they have said it has to be confidential for now but if I was submitted they would tell me. This just makes sense as most of us work with various recruiters and if they submit the same candidate to a role as another recruiter it burns them a s much as it burns the candidate. They are likely to be blacklisted from submitting to the company.

If they aren’t willing to give you a job description or any details that’s a pretty big red flag to me.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #498
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I've been contract for a few years, and lucky enough to be maintaining a decent workload. But things have slowed down lately, so I've been doing a bit of job hunting. I've had an unsolicited recruiter reach out to me for a position, and the experience is kinda driving me nuts.
There is apparently no written job description. To me this makes it tough to judge if I am right for the position and prepare my resume etc.
Long questionnaire with questions like "what other jobs have you applied for? and "what other recruiters are you working with?" Not sure what business it is of theirs what other opportunities I am chasing.

Is this all fairly par for the course with recruiters or did I just get an odd one?
Um I've been in recruiting, this strikes me as really suspicious at the least, and very unprofessional. A recruiter shouldn't be driving a questionaire like that without a job description. He's either data collecting for his database, or he's going through jobs that he isn't assigned to fill and promoting candidates without their approval.

I would ask some serious questions before I proceed, and say that you won't do anything without an understanding of the specific role description to make sure that you're interested.

This is your reputation if you have someone that's throwing out your name.

A couple of things

A recruiter working on a specific job will absolutely have a written job description.

Do you recognize the name of the firm that the recruiter is working for? Does he or she have a linkedin profile that you can examine.

By the way, the answers to the questions. Are you working with other recruiters "None of your business" What other jobs have you applied for "None of your business, what's the hiring timeline of the opportunity your presenting?"

My nose is tingling with your situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #499
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Odd...very odd. Nearly all recruiters have told me who the job is with. In a couple of cases they have said it has to be confidential for now but if I was submitted they would tell me. This just makes sense as most of us work with various recruiters and if they submit the same candidate to a role as another recruiter it burns them a s much as it burns the candidate. They are likely to be blacklisted from submitting to the company.

If they aren’t willing to give you a job description or any details that’s a pretty big red flag to me.

Even with a confidential search there's a job description, they just won't be able to include the name of the organization or the contract until they agree to interview for you.

The more I think of it, the more this feels like a recruiters that submitting unsolicited resume's to positions that they haven't signed up to fill. They gather resume's and phone up the HR department of a company that posted on linkedin etc and say "Hey I noticed your hiring for this position, I have a number of potentials in my database that I would love to send over, my fee is"

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 10:12 PM   #500
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Even with a confidential search there's a job description, they just won't be able to include the name of the organization or the contract until they agree to interview for you.

The more I think of it, the more this feels like a recruiters that submitting unsolicited resume's to positions that they haven't signed up to fill. They gather resume's and phone up the HR department of a company that posted on linkedin etc and say "Hey I noticed your hiring for this position, I have a number of potentials in my database that I would love to send over, my fee is"
This. If they haven't given you anything specific, they are just building up their stable so they have candidates on hand when an opportunity comes up.

In that situation, it's not that unusual for them to ask what else you have applied to, in my experience. They don't want to submit you for something you have already applied for and especially not something another recruiter has also put you up for.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post: