Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #281
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cleaned out the bag this morning in anticipation of the second round of the year this afternoon. I think I have enough ball markers, divot repair tools, and tees! Haha.

Spoiler!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #282
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Played twice this weekend. Yesterday was very windy and today was awesome. so nice to be out this time of year.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #283
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've always just bought off the rack (golf town, discount golf, etc) and just played. Never fit shafts, lies or anything. I'm a 12 index but have been trying to crack single digits here the last 3 years. Lessons have definitely helped (took my first ever ones last year) but was curious if an actual custom fitted set would help shave a stroke or two off each round. I ask because I was thinking about heading to Calgary to Ted and Dave's for a new set of irons, but I wanted to get some other golfers out there opinions on custom fittings.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #284
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any decent courses to book for this saturday?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #285
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've been contemplating getting a membership somewhere and obviously shouldn't he doing it this year because of employment but I'm wondering if anyone can share any experiences on Silver Springs vs Bearspaw. The annual durs are about the same but Bearspaw is only $15000 initiation vs $30000 at Silver Springs. The annual dues are pretty much the same. I live 2 minutes for Silver Springs so conveince is a huge plus for me but I kinda feel that Bearspaw I'd the better club. Is Silver Springs worth twice the initiation fee?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #286
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
So I've been contemplating getting a membership somewhere and obviously shouldn't he doing it this year because of employment but I'm wondering if anyone can share any experiences on Silver Springs vs Bearspaw. The annual durs are about the same but Bearspaw is only $15000 initiation vs $30000 at Silver Springs. The annual dues are pretty much the same. I live 2 minutes for Silver Springs so conveince is a huge plus for me but I kinda feel that Bearspaw I'd the better club. Is Silver Springs worth twice the initiation fee?
I have a friend who's brother is at Bearspaw and Father is at Silver Springs. He would join Silver Springs if he was able to afford a Golf membership. His brother joined Bearspaw because the membership at Silver Springs was quite old at the time. (Still kind of is but it's changing) He also has talked about controversy at Bearspaw about a new club house. There may be a cash call to the membership so if you are thinking about Bearspaw you better find out what is going on there. Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm biased.

I'm five minutes from Silver Springs and find that the location plays a huge part in my use of the club.

If you want to PM me I'll send you my number and talk about Silver Springs
Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #287
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I have a friend who's brother is at Bearspaw and Father is at Silver Springs. He would join Silver Springs if he was able to afford a Golf membership. His brother joined Bearspaw because the membership at Silver Springs was quite old at the time. (Still kind of is but it's changing) He also has talked about controversy at Bearspaw about a new club house. There may be a cash call to the membership so if you are thinking about Bearspaw you better find out what is going on there. Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm biased.

I'm five minutes from Silver Springs and find that the location plays a huge part in my use of the club.

If you want to PM me I'll send you my number and talk about Silver Springs
A cash call at Bearspaw would certainly suck. I may actually visit Bearspaw later this month to find out more information on the course and club and will certainly ask about that. I'm actually quite surprised that Bearspaw has such a low initiation.

I would love to sign up for Silver Springs, especially living in Varsity, but I'm poor and $30000 is a lot of money to throw down for a golf membership.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #288
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

^^^^^^Have you ever played Silver Springs? Maybe we could play there one day and you can check it out as well.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #289
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a junior member at Bearspaw during high school. Man, I miss that course, it's a great one. I preferred it to Silver Springs, which I've played numerous times, but it's not bad by any means.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:14 AM   #290
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
I've always just bought off the rack (golf town, discount golf, etc) and just played. Never fit shafts, lies or anything. I'm a 12 index but have been trying to crack single digits here the last 3 years. Lessons have definitely helped (took my first ever ones last year) but was curious if an actual custom fitted set would help shave a stroke or two off each round. I ask because I was thinking about heading to Calgary to Ted and Dave's for a new set of irons, but I wanted to get some other golfers out there opinions on custom fittings.
I am a proponent of custom fitting. It sounds like you are at the point where you could benefit (without knowing anything about your game). I don't find my custom fit clubs to provide quantum leaps in improvement, but it does tighten the misses (ie. I can still hook it, but now it probably won't fly off the edge of the earth). Also, spin and launch optimization can generate significant distance improvements with the driver if that is something you need or are looking for. Without rambling anymore, if you have the desire and the resources for custom fitting, go for it. It definitely shouldn't hurt anything and the upside can be significant. For my money though, I wouldn't spend it at Ted and Dave's. Too many unpleasant dealings there. Good Luck!
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #291
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Silver Springs > Bearspaw for me and the convenience factor is not one to overlook. I walk to my course and being so close allows me to stop by even if I only have half an hour to go chip and putt. I take a wedge and a putter when I go to pick up my mail because there is a practice green a couple hundred yards past my mailbox. That said, $30k is a lot of money so I understand the difficulty in the decision.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #292
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never played either course but Bearspaw always looks more attractive to me and it happens to be more convenient as well. I do wonder if there is much of a difference in season length, both courses are in the NW but Bearspaw is about as high in elevation as you will find in Calgary so perhaps more susceptible to frost etc.

And FWIW I've also heard the clubhouse/cash call thing about Bearspaw from several people and have to think that is playing into the price difference right now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #293
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was watching an old episode of the school of golf on GC last night and they had a bit with Moe Norman. I can't believe the similarities in mannerisms with him and Bubbles. I wonder if there is a connection from when TPB made the Bubbles character.

I golfed last weekend and hit a cart that was beside the green on a 300 yard hole, it was downwind, but, that was funny. Of course the people on the green didn't think so.

For those of you who want to watch the Masters at work, if you have Shaw, you can use the web version of their freerange app.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #294
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I would love to sign up for Silver Springs, especially living in Varsity, but I'm poor and $30000 is a lot of money to throw down for a golf membership.
Proximity to your domicile is the biggest factor to consider to me. You have to be sure you'll almost never leave Varsity. Because if you so much as to move to Valley Ridge or Downtown which isn't too far away from Varsity, the value of playing at Silver Springs decreases substantially.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #295
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Heritage Today. Course is in pretty good shape other than the debacle that is the 5th fairway on the Pointe. They need to rip that up and redo the drainage.

We teed off at 3 and were off the course at 7:15. The course wintered pretty well. Green need some hot sun and should be back to normal in no time. They rolled pretty well considering how soft they were.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 AM   #296
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
For my money though, I wouldn't spend it at Ted and Dave's. Too many unpleasant dealings there. Good Luck!
Interested in details if you're willing to elaborate. I usually use them as they seem to have 24-hour turnaround. The Ted guy seems to have a grumpy, elitist attitude so I usually try to avoid him, but the other guy, Robert, has been nothing but friendly and excellent to deal with IMO. Where do you go as an alternative?

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 04-10-2016 at 03:21 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #297
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Interested in details if you're willing to elaborate. I usually use them as they seem to have 24-hour turnaround. The Ted guy seems to have a grumpy, elitist attitude so I usually try to avoid him, but the other guy, Robert, has been nothing but friendly and excellent to deal with IMO. Where do you go as an alternative?
To be honest it has been years since I have gone there. I only had unpleasant dealings with Ted (grumpy, crusty, etc - with me on two occasions and with two of my friends on separate occasions) so I am not sure if Robert was there back then or if he is new. Regardless, that is good to hear as they do have a good facility, equipment, etc.

I've used Simply Golf for most of my club repair needs and some fitting but my fitting choices depend on what I am looking for. Last year I just went to Country Hills to get my Titleist fitting done, as they are the regional Titleist fitter. I've done the same for Ping and some other brands just by finding some of the better fitters on each website.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #298
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played my first round yesterday...made it 3 holes, strained my neck, had to stop. #31goingon70
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #299
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got in my first round yesterday. Was a calm Sunday down here in Pincher Creek. Considering my drivers were spraying everywhere I'm happy with the first round. A solid 47 to start the year!
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #300
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Valley Ridge jack their rates? I don't remember it being $102 on the weekends. And does anyone know if that includes cart? They don't state it and have a line item for power cart being $40.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow