Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 AM   #21
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

North Hill Centre is all but walking dead. Likely scheduled for demolition without an anchor tenant outside of the grocery store.

My pitch would be a store in the touristy areas like Stephen Ave. Mall or the adjacent CORE.

Also, I think the main branding is "CGY." "Team Store" is ancillary. They did after all bring in a local fashion designer with the "CGY" products.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

North Hill mall is always busy on the west side, and parking is scarce. Due to c-train and medical offices.

Northland Mall on the other hand has many vacancies and is where small businesses go to die.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I was under the understanding that Sportscheck had an agreement with the mall that other sports retailers like the Flames were not allowed. Guess things have changed.

Never heard of Sportscheck, but no way would Sport Chek have an agreement like that. They deal with the landlord only and don’t have the power to make a condition like that.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #24
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
South Center is just Marlborough Mall in the SE
I dunno. I've never seen anyone #### on the floor at Southcentre and I have spent a much larger amount of time there. Maybe I just caught Marlborough on a bad day.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #25
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
I dunno. I've never seen anyone #### on the floor at Southcentre and I have spent a much larger amount of time there. Maybe I just caught Marlborough on a bad day.
That's a good day for that mall actually.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to see CSEC capitalizing on the popularity and brand recognition of 'YYC' these days.....

Brutal name choice. FanAttic sucked in its own way but they've picked a bad name that ALSO has no brand recognition.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
North Hill mall is always busy on the west side, and parking is scarce. Due to c-train and medical offices.

Northland Mall on the other hand has many vacancies and is where small businesses go to die.
Yeah, but I wouldn't put much stock into that. There's a Safeway and a Shoppers there. The actual mall is literally, as Reggie said, walking dead.

I stopped there a few months ago and it looked like a dog park for seniors. Not even joking. There is no way that place is still a mall in five years. Will it become condos or offices? Or, here's a crazy idea, McMahon / field house location?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #28
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
My pitch would be a store in the touristy areas like Stephen Ave. Mall or the adjacent CORE.
Fan Attic used to have a fairly large location in the Core (formerly TD Square), on the top floor next to what is now Holt Renfrew. Didn’t get the sense it was ever that busy, but it was a nice looking store. I’m guessing they closed 10+ years ago...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #29
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Yeah, but I wouldn't put much stock into that. There's a Safeway and a Shoppers there. The actual mall is literally, as Reggie said, walking dead.

I stopped there a few months ago and it looked like a dog park for seniors. Not even joking. There is no way that place is still a mall in five years. Will it become condos or offices? Or, here's a crazy idea, McMahon / field house location?

North Hill will get a massive update sometime in the medium term. It's not going anywhere.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle35231476/

Quote:
Concord Pacific will continue to play to niche markets as it works through the design phase of it's second Calgary development, a 12-acre master planned community on the site of a Sears store, with adjoining parking lots, at North Hills shopping mall in the Northwest.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #30
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You what mate
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
North Hill will get a massive update sometime in the medium term. It's not going anywhere.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle35231476/
So in other words, condos? Like I said? With a few stores?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #32
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
So in other words, condos? Like I said? With a few stores?
You said the mall will likely be demolished in 5 years. While there is a plan to leave the mall and then redevelop the Sears and east parking lot.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
You said the mall will likely be demolished in 5 years. While there is a plan to leave the mall and then redevelop the Sears and east parking lot.
The Sears half is actually on a separate title than the mall. Not 100% sure but I think they may be owned by different companies as well...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #34
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Never heard of Sportscheck, but no way would Sport Chek have an agreement like that. They deal with the landlord only and don’t have the power to make a condition like that.

They definitely could have that sort of a clause in their lease. For example, my business is a boutique fitness facility and we recently tried to get into a development, and were unable to due to GoodLife having an exclusivity clause in their lease making sure they are the only fitness establishment in the centre. Sport Chek is easily big enough have the ability to request and be granted a clause like that.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #35
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The Sears half is actually on a separate title than the mall. Not 100% sure but I think they may be owned by different companies as well...
That's entirely possible. The original retail development was a stand-alone Simpsons-Sears, a stand-alone Loblaws store, with a strip mall in between. The strip mall eventually was replaced by a connecting indoor mall.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #36
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? In what way?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #37
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had Fanattic downtown, at both Eau Claire and the Core in the mid 2000s, and at the Core until they did the reno a few years back.

Core rent is too much, and their shop was on the 4th floor, not really ideal.
Is the Airport one still going?

Rebranding is fine, clearly those CGY hats last year were a hit for the identity, and outside of Calvary, Flames own all the major pro sports teams.

And would be surprised is Sport Chek had anything in a lease as a non compete. They weren't in that mall until late 90s or later, and the first number of years as a Sport Chek Select store, carrying limited things, becuase they had a big store a few blocks away an Avineda in Bonavista.

Last edited by browna; 07-28-2019 at 05:59 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #38
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

North hill should legit be sold for redevelopment (excluding Safeway). Such a waste of prime inner city land
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #39
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 'Y' is really going to bother me...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really, the only malls I'd operate in are Chinook and Market. Then I might do a store in the new arena location but outside the arena. 17th is a nice idea but I don't think the foot traffic is enough and the parking situation is terrible. Plus I don't think the patrons of 17th are the sports apparel crowd. If you want foot traffic, maybe somewhere on Stephen like near the Lammles. That said, standalone apparel stores on Stephen haven't had a good time either. Sport Chek closed, Riley & McCormick closed, Lammle's is dead whenever I go in.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote