Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #61
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It would be an incredibly foolish investment on my part but I could finance a $100k sports car. Since I'm smart I don't want to.
Well then I have a deal for you... You and your neighbor go 50-50 on that 100K sports car (And he would like you to pick up the tab on insurance). He'll be the only one that gets to drive it... but you'll get to say you own a "world class" vehicle! Whaddah say?
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Well then I have a deal for you... You and your neighbor go 50-50 on that 100K sports car (And he would like you to pick up the tab on insurance). He'll be the only one that gets to drive it... but you'll get to say you own a "world class" vehicle! Whaddah say?
Well what if my current car is leaking oil and it's not worth it for me to continue sinking money into and I told my neighbor that it's not viable for me to sink in money to a depreciating asset like a brand new car if he didn't pitch in to help I may have to move because there's a neighbor in another area that's willing to do so? Me being a main provider of entertainment for the block would leave a massive void but at the end of the day I have to look after my own interests.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #63
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
No you don't, but then why offer up you baseless one liner? If you don't want to go there, then actually don't go there, but that's not what you did.
I'm pointing out your argument is based on a complete misrepresentation of the City's position, and that there literally a hundred pages of discussion on this forum that support that.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #64
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm not towing any line. The city wants and needs this arena, the Flames want and need this arena. When you look at the costs all in, no matter what format or source they come from, my only belief is that the city and the Flames both have very very significant stake, desire and needs for this project, so both should be paying.
I don't take any issue with any of that both should be paying... but the Flames contention is that while both should be paying only 1 party (them) should be profiting. If both should be paying then both should be profiting and if the flames want a bigger stake in the profits then they ought to pay an equivalent stake in the investment.

Quote:
and the truth is I do actually feel the CSEC evaluation of the cities 1/3 a 1/3 a 1/3 proposal was closer to accurate than how the mayor articulated it
How so? Here is the cities response...

https://www.scribd.com/document/3595...ring-proposals

... The cities position seems pretty clear & accurate to me.

Quote:
Well what if my current car...
You have the role reversed I said it's your neighbor (not you) that get's to drive the car. I'm 99% certain you'd actually tell your neighbor to #### off (after first laughing and then saying "Oh, you're being serious"). If it's that other 1%... could you PM me your address? because I now know who I want to live next to.

Last edited by Parallex; 12-21-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #65
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I don't take any issue with any of that both should be paying... but the Flames contention is that while both should be paying only 1 party (them) should be profiting. If both should be paying then both should be profiting and if the flames want a bigger stake in the profits then they ought to pay an equivalent stake in the investment.

How so? Here is the cities response...

https://www.scribd.com/document/3595...ring-proposals

... The cities position seems pretty clear & accurate to me.

You have the role reversed I said it's your neighbor (not you) that get's to drive the car. I'm 99% certain you'd actually tell your neighbor to #### off (after first laughing and then saying "Oh, you're being serious"). If it's that other 1%... could you PM me your address? because I now know who I want to live next to.

You forgot to add that the neighbour doesn’t have to pay property taxes.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #66
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well what if my current car is leaking oil and it's not worth it for me to continue sinking money into and I told my neighbor that it's not viable for me to sink in money to a depreciating asset like a brand new car if he didn't pitch in to help I may have to move because there's a neighbor in another area that's willing to do so? Me being a main provider of entertainment for the block would leave a massive void but at the end of the day I have to look after my own interests.
Except the oil leak isn't really reality, in fact the car runs just fine. you just want a bigger engine and more chrome
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #67
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Islanders arena bid selected for Belmont Park

Dammit ! Sorry nm. Stupid tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HockeyPuck; 12-22-2017 at 07:57 AM.
HockeyPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #68
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure this whole car analogy is working, guys.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Except the oil leak isn't really reality, in fact the car runs just fine. you just want a bigger engine and more chrome
Unless the oil leak = creosote contamination.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #70
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Unless the oil leak = creosote contamination.
Ha ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm not sure this whole car analogy is working, guys.
It's no less stupid than comparing the Islanders privately building an arena to the Flames. Even Rob Kerr and the 960 guys that usually stay out of this talk said that was silly to compare the situations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #71
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But this car isn't actually leaking oil, you just pick up less chicks with it than a new fancier car...
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #72
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's no less stupid than comparing the Islanders privately building an arena to the Flames. Even Rob Kerr and the 960 guys that usually stay out of this talk said that was silly to compare the situations.
Of course it's silly, but the same people on the other side of the debate are looking at the Vancouver bankruptcy as proof this can't be done in Calgary. Different situations and such
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #73
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha ha.

They stay quiet with criticism towards the owners business ventures, they won't miss an opportunity to speak to anything that helps them though.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #74
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I can assure, you, like the flames to the city, the value of your entertainment to any neighbour would never be enough to offset the cost of what you're asking for. If you don't believe me, go knock on his door and ask.
If the flames don't believe me, they should go ask any other jurisdiction for the exact same deal as they're seeking here. I'm sure you'll both be met with the same response.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #75
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha ha ha.

Did these 960 business majors explain the differences? Or did they just do what they do best and spout a bunch of dead air.

I have yet to hear anyone's explanation on why a new arena on Long Island would make that much more money than one in Calgary.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #76
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Did these 960 business majors explain the differences? Or did they just do what they do best and spout a bunch of dead air.

I have yet to hear anyone's explanation on why a new arena on Long Island would make that much more money than one in Calgary.
More than 20 million people live in the New York metropolitan area, enough to fill an arena with concerts and other major events every night the Islanders aren't playing. That's more than twice the number of major events the Saddledome hosts. So it would have more than twice the revenue from ticket sales, parking, and concessions. A facility that is in use almost all of the time makes much more money than one that is empty more than half of the time, in spite of similar costs.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #77
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
More than 20 million people live in the New York metropolitan area, enough to fill an arena with concerts and other major events every night the Islanders aren't playing. That's more than twice the number of major events the Saddledome hosts. So it would have more than twice the revenue from ticket sales, parking, and concessions. A facility that is in use almost all of the time makes much more money than one that is empty more than half of the time, in spite of similar costs.
How much if any more money? No offence but I really think your smoking KKC (Ken King Crack)

There are 2 other arena's within 20 or so minutes of Belmont to share with and 20 million people means little to a stadium that holds 20k, this isn't Manhattan or even the Bronx it's Long Island which is mostly considered the outer "burbs" of NYC where most of those 20 million you speak of have never visited. I've been to the Belmont Stakes twice, the area is like Killarney or Haysboro with a big bad ass racetrack in the middle!

15 minutes away from Belmont is the newly renovated Nassau Coliseum, including intercollegiate hockey and minor pro basketball it has a grand total of 9 events booked for January. Another 20 minutes away in Brooklyn(not a burb) is the current home of Islanders, the Barclays has 19 events for January and this includes the 7 NBA Nets games.

The Saddledome is booked for 14 events in January, it's a money machine now even know it's inside Stampede Parks gates, if a new arena with no competition in downtown Calgary doesn't make as much as an arena in the "burbs" of NY with competition there's something seriously wrong with the management of CSEC period.

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 12-23-2017 at 12:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 04:01 PM   #78
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

The events are six Flames games, Flames Superskills, six Hitmen games and a couple Roughnecks games. All of those events are put on by the group that operate the building.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #79
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now, almost two years later, the project has received approval from the State Development board.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ent-1.34784916

It sounds like this was the last major hurdle before the groundbreaking.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #80
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Are there any similar bureaucratic hurdles that still have to go through for the Flames' bid? Probably not since it's all municipal and private funding, right?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote