Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBA refs are totally situational, including the difference in situation between a star and other players holding the ball.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #42
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m real sick of Carcillo. He’s a hypocrite. But I agree less fighting is healthier. Gone are the days of Jarome Iginla. His fights were always worth it. Emotional and powerful for the most part.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #43
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

this thread is great evidence that people don't forget. sure, maybe Carcillo had a change of heart and sure, new information and a change of opinion over time shouldn't make someone a hypocrite.

but maybe, just maybe, he isn't suited to being the face of the movement considering the reaction he elicits.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #44
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
I’m real sick of Carcillo. He’s a hypocrite. But I agree less fighting is healthier. Gone are the days of Jarome Iginla. His fights were always worth it. Emotional and powerful for the most part.
Sam Bennett reminds me of Jarome when fighting, every fight is charged and never staged. this is the type of fighting that needs to stay or it'll just be cheapshots like the mens non contact leagues I play in
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #45
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ok with skill over fighting. Just worry about dirty players with no repercussion. The NHL can eliminate that though with more calls and better officiating. Really hurt a team like NFL can with dirty and dumb plays. With special teams so important that might work.

NFL seems to do ok with tough play and no fighting. Destroy a guy then help him up. A lot of stop and start in play but still a physical game with no fighting culture.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #46
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
this thread is great evidence that people don't forget. sure, maybe Carcillo had a change of heart and sure, new information and a change of opinion over time shouldn't make someone a hypocrite.

but maybe, just maybe, he isn't suited to being the face of the movement considering the reaction he elicits.
Who would be a better advocate in your opinion?

I actually think he's the perfect face of the movement- he knows every side of the situation. He has battled mental health issues related to concussions, he has lost friends to the issue, and he has inflicted some of that damage on others and probably feels a great deal of guilt because of it.

If anyone understands the situation and the severity of it it's him.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #47
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

I actually think he's the perfect face of the movement- he knows every side of the situation. He has battled mental health issues related to concussions, he has lost friends to the issue, and he has inflicted some of that damage on others and probably feels a great deal of guilt because of it.

The problem people have with him is the history of cheap shots.

You have guys who fight, play within the rules of the game, and end up with long term consequences as a result of concussions. Some may be fighting related, some related to high hard hits when guys had their heads down, which were previously acceptable in another time.

Then you have Carcillo, who adds to those risk factors where people are the victims of the risks of the game, and introduces another totally different element - acting outside of the mutually accepted rules, and engaging in suspendable acts. 12 disciplinary actions in 9 seasons, including blindside boarding, crosschecking unsuspecting players, and abuse of an official.

I get that the guy has a story to tell, and may have learned some lessons, but he is far from what I would call the perfect advocate.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #48
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sam Bennett reminds me of Jarome when fighting, every fight is charged and never staged. this is the type of fighting that needs to stay or it'll just be cheapshots like the mens non contact leagues I play in
Jarome's fights weren't staged as in "let's meet later on at centre ice no matter what happens in the game". But some were certainly premeditated. I think he deliberately fought in order to try and give the team an emotional boost. For example, he fought in 2004 against Ohlund and it gave the team a boost. I think fighting Hatcher in the POs that year was for that purpose (and it succeeded). I think he tried the same against TB but it didn't give the same lift.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #49
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The problem people have with him is the history of cheap shots.

You have guys who fight, play within the rules of the game, and end up with long term consequences as a result of concussions. Some may be fighting related, some related to high hard hits when guys had their heads down, which were previously acceptable in another time.

Then you have Carcillo, who adds to those risk factors where people are the victims of the risks of the game, and introduces another totally different element - acting outside of the mutually accepted rules, and engaging in suspendable acts. 12 disciplinary actions in 9 seasons, including blindside boarding, crosschecking unsuspecting players, and abuse of an official.

I get that the guy has a story to tell, and may have learned some lessons, but he is far from what I would call the perfect advocate.
Yeah, I understand why people have a problem with him. I fail to see how his history should prevent him from being an advocate.

As I said earlier, he has experienced every part of the issue. From giving, to receiving, by clean hit, by dirty hit, by fighting, etc. He would have a better understanding of the complexity of the issue than anybody.

I think it's pretty easy to see that his guilt from how he played the game has driven him to become a better person and do everything he can to help moving forward. He can't go back and change the past.

Drastic analogy here, but it reminds me of a reformed white supremacist. They often the ones leading the charge on initiatives of tolerance and acceptance of others.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #50
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

You are right.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1140439088241217537
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #51
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I grew up watching hockey in the 70's and below is some of the garbage fans had to watch

Quote:
On December 23, 1979, in what remains as one of the most memorable fan-athlete confrontations in sports, Boston Bruins defenseman Mike Milbury whacked a New York Rangers fan with the fan's own shoe during an altercation in which several Bruins players went over the glass and into the stands at Madison Square Garden. The incident resulted in three Boston players being suspended. Of the three Bruins who were suspended, Terry O'Reilly had engaged in a career-high 22 fights during the season, Peter McNab had had only four penalty minutes during the previous season, and Mike Milbury had never before whacked anyone with a shoe.

Quote:
Pierre Bouchard vs Stan Jonathan and Gilles Lupien vs John Wensink from the Montreal Canadiens at Boston Bruins game on May 21, 1978.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #52
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Article: why fighting had dropped to historic lows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Really good comparison. Great work.

Last edited by bax; 08-08-2019 at 07:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #53
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

Anybody who doesn’t immediately change the focus of the topic from “mental health issues” to “wow this guy is a dbag.”

Just look at this thread, there are more posts focusing on him as a person than there is discussion on the article and issue itself. Don’t need to be in PR to know that’s not good for your branding or message.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
Anybody who doesn’t immediately change the focus of the topic from “mental health issues” to “wow this guy is a dbag.”

Just look at this thread, there are more posts focusing on him as a person than there is discussion on the article and issue itself. Don’t need to be in PR to know that’s not good for your branding or message.
It’s not like “the cause” spun a wheel and picked Carcillo. He picked the cause.

Whether he’s bad for the brand or not is down to the individual, and I’m sure he knows not everybody is going to forgive and forget. People are petty, that’s the way things go, nothing Carcillo can do about that. But his message is worthy. Eventually people just need to get over themselves.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
bax