Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't disagree, but the bottom line to me is that even when the Flames dealt with the avs forecheck and got possession of the puck, they would turn around and give it away again.

The Flames were unacceptably soft on the puck and careless when they had it.

Like I said, Peters has to take a bite out of that old s%%% Sandwhich, but the players have to strap on a bib and finish eating it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #42
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The fact that Carolina is still playing says a lot about Peters.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #43
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am pretty sure if we swapped top lines with the Avs, that the Flames would be moving on. Bill Peters is not the reason the Flames are out of the playoffs.

Really too bad the NHL has 2 sets of rules for the regular season and the playoffs.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #44
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m not saying Peters is bad coach... far from that. I think he’s a raw NHL coach. Maybe like early years Trotz or Quenneville. Quenneville was a fantastic coach with St Louis (especially regular season). Maybe having the right horses will be important for Peters, but there’s no doubt in my mind he failed the team the last couple of months.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #45
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It is funny that not long ago people thought both Sakic and Bednar were in over their head. We’ll see how the Avs play next round against a more battle tested opponent but maybe Bednar is a decent coach.
I think this is pretty key and trying to judge the team until after the cup, when you have a sense of how good the Av's are then you can judge the Flames needs.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #46
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This either/or proposition is silly. You need players that can raise their game and you need a coach that is dialed in to the team. The Flames had neither this post season.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:36 AM   #47
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post
No it really doesn’t.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #48
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bill Peters: Post-mortem on year 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meers View Post

it says a lot about good Goaltending .. which is very important amongst a variety of factors.

Good goaltending is the reason the Flames were two goals away from being up 3-1 in a series they had no business being in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #49
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Playoffs are about being mean and nasty this year but not every year.

Is Peters that kind of coach? Should we have played Prout, Peluso and Lomberg to punch people in the face. Should Tkachuk have crashed the goalie everytime?

It's not like Washington was really tough last year other than Tom Wilson.
Were the Blackhawk teams that Flames want to replicate mean and nasty?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #50
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Way too soon to blame Peters.
He could have done better, but he was in an impossible spot and will learn from this.

He was left building a house without his hammer or tape measure, that's a pretty impossible task to figure out in a week.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #51
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I disagree with your basic premise that the coach is the most important figure and continue to struggle why some folks don't want to hold the players accountable.Your proof point for your premise is a couple of singular examples.
You win and lose on the backs of your best players.
The Flames best players were awful.
That's not coaching, in my view.

Coaching is an important ingredient to be sure - but it is far over weighted by some fans.
Not coaching, Not the captain, Certainly not goal tending.... I guess the Flames must have won the series in 5.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #52
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to argue with what Peters accomplished this season, and the hockey was great to watch. Nowhere near wanting a coaching change.
The only question I have is did the coaching staff hit the right motivational tone with the team in the playoffs. Maybe a lesson for him as well, considering its his first playoff series.

I'm definitely placing 90% of the blame on the core players.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #53
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Not coaching, Not the captain, Certainly not goal tending.... I guess the Flames must have won the series in 5.
Have you missed the part where I have quite clearly articulated why I believe they lost the series?
The Avs top players, and top line dominated the Flames top line.

Quite obviously that's where the series was lost.

As usual I don't know what you are on about.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #54
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Against all instinct I bought tickets to watch last nights game. I had to see for myself in person what I was watching on TV.

First line outside Johnny was invisible. The players couldn’t complete a pass to save their life. They had trouble clearing the zone due to brain farts and poor passing. It was mostly on the players, they just got overwhelmed.

It boggles me that we owned the Avs with 5 wins in a row and now lose 4 straight. That is what perplexes me to no end. Same players but totally different result. Baffling.

Which brings me to Peters. What role does he play in settling the players and preparing them when adversity hits? I think he failed there. How does he make players calm and ready to play in a pressure cooker?

I think Hartley did that against the Canucks. Darryl did that in 2004.

Peters doesn’t deserve huge part of blame, but he needs to learn as well. He is a promising coach. I look forward to next year and seeing him work on how to motivate the players.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #55
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Bednar outcoached Peter. He choose a good game plan to stop Flames forwards, and separate our D and F lines. Flames are wery good when they skate with puck and D joing the rush. Avs protected the mid ice and tried good forecheck with speed. Our D usually stuck in our zone and best thing they can do is shoot the puck along the boards.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #56
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Have you missed the part where I have quite clearly articulated why I believe they lost the series?
The Avs top players, and top line dominated the Flames top line.

Quite obviously that's where the series was lost.

As usual I don't know what you are on about.
No offense but I think that is a brutal oversimplification. The reason the Flames were the heavy favorite was not because our first line was expected to outperform, or I’d argue even keep up with the Avs first line. The advantage the Flames have is a much deeper lineup with a significantly better back end. There’s really no aspect to any of these matchups the Flames won. The Avs D was better than the Flames. Guys like Ian Cole and Zadorov looked like Stalwarts. Barrie was error proof it seemed. Depth? Guys like friggin JT Compher, Nieto, Wilson, even Soderberg ... honestly totally average players on any planet, were somehow unstoppable and getting chances all over the place. They were all basically on fire NBA Jam style.

The Avs first line probably was good enough to win this series by themselves, but not this convincingly and not this fast. That’s a close 6-7 game series. When you’re dominated and out in 5, it’s way way more than 3 players on their team and 3 on ours.

Last edited by 2macinnis2; 04-20-2019 at 01:23 PM.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 2macinnis2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its clearly because Bill Peters has two first-names.

A dangerous omen at the best of times and it came back to haunt us when it counted most!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #58
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters had a role in the failure no doubt about it.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-20-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #59
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames D getting quite a pass from some people. That’s where I thought we had a huge advantage.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #60
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
No offense but I think that is a brutal oversimplification. The reason the Flames were the heavy favorite was not because our first line was expected to outperform, or I’d argue even keep up with the Avs first line. The advantage the Flames have is a much deeper lineup with a significantly better back end. There’s really no aspect to any of these matchups the Flames won. The Avs D was better than the Flames. Guys like Ian Cole and Zadorov looked like Stalwarts. Barrie was error proof it seemed. Depth? Guys like friggin JT Compher, Nieto, Wilson, even Soderberg ... honestly totally average players on any planet, were somehow unstoppable and getting chances all over the place. They were all basically on fire NBA Jam style.

The Avs first line probably was good enough to win this series by themselves, but not this convincingly and not this fast. That’s a close 6-7 game series. When you’re dominated and out in 5, it’s way way more than 3 players on their team and 3 on ours.
On the note of the Avs depth, it's a lot easier for them to have things going when your shifts start majority of the time in the offensive zone, stay in the offensive zone due to the Flames constant turnovers and getting easy access through the attacking blue line because the Flames D are suffering PTSD from seeing Mackinnon coming up the ice with the puck.

Relating to the actual topic, I think Bednar did a fantastic job of reversing the Avs' shortcoming and putting huge pressure on the Flames in the defensive zone, forcing turnovers. From forcing Smith to have riskier passes if he tried to turn it around quickly, to limiting the Flames D to taking the puck off the boards, only to have somebody waiting there and battling it back in for another cycle/chance.

Couldn't say what Peters should have or could have done so I can't necessarily criticize him in that way since nothing went right for the Flames.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post: