Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m a lifer ... going out like this is tough but the year was great ... nice comeback by Smitty ... excited to see what Treliving does this off season ... once the stinging gut punch subsides from the high expectations going up in smoke this playoffs leaves it’s back to my eternal optimism I have for this team ..,......... GFG !!! PS ... to the guy who threw his jersey .. your a Moron , go find another team or passion ..
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stamps For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #22
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really stings we have to wait another year to potentially be back in the playoffs. I hope the Flames are done with their in one year, out the next pattern they have had the last 5 years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #23
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree the jersey toss was so stupid. Also wanted to give kudos to the fans that also stayed till the very end and gave the Flames a standing ovation.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #24
axgq
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ride or die with the Flames! With so many of the higher seeds getting eliminated in the 1st round this year, it shows why the playoffs are a new season and you can't just coast because you did better in the first 82 games. We lacked the experience and just didn't seem to have the extra gear that Colorado did.

Disappointing ending, but still a fun season to be a part of.

Go Flames!
axgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
KipperRules
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks Flames! It was a great season! The first of many to come I believe and even with a quick exit this post season, like they say "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger". I was hoping for a better postseason, like most, but I do think a team needs some battle scars before they can win it all.

This is great experience for our young core and they will learn and adapt from it. I can not wait till September.

Flames fan for life!

Thanks CP for the great resource and discussions for anything Flames!!
KipperRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #26
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The regular season was a blast. The best I've witnessed personally in most of my years watching hockey. Win after win. Great story lines. New career highs. A Norris captain and a (almost) 100pts superstar player. There was a lot to love. Losing the series the way we did absolutely sucks. But lucky for us, the regular season was an extended period of bliss that lasted months, and I choose to remember that rather then 5 days of suffering.

I'll wait until things cool down, settle, and let the GM take care of making the changes that need to be made. Flames took a massive step forward this season coming out of a 5 year rebuild and are beginning to to enter the 'sprint' stage of their cup window. There's a lot of great pieces on this team. And there's also some soul searching and tough decisions to make.

I truly believe we have the right management in place, with BT managing the team, BP managing the players, and owners who spend to the cap. It's been a while since we've had those positions all filled simultaneously with the kind of leadership those guys have. I hope coach and GM are both here for the long run.

The blueline looks bright with 4 studs all 22 and under, and playing big roles as the season went along. Andersson and Valimaki both looks like they will be star players in the future. Then you have Hanifin already making an impact, and Kylington waiting not far behind. That allows BT to potentially shore up the roster by trading away possibly Brodie and Stone for decent return. Brodie was terrible in the playoffs. But he had a massive bounce back season and IMO his stock will be high in the summer. Stone looks to be healthy and is a solid top 4 option on a lot of teams. The Flames have assets to move around, which is a good thing.

The top 6 F will be debated all summer, who should stay and who should go. But in the end I think we'll see the GM add a piece of 2 to solidify it.

Overall it was a fun season to watch and one I hope the team can replicate for years to come. People might say the regular season doesn't matter, but that's not at all true. Getting to watch 7 months of elite hockey was an absolute BLAST to watch this season.

Once the pain of the playoffs goes away, most of us will be back to cheer on the team next season, regardless of what they might say otherwise. Even the jersey tossing guy will be back next season, guaranteed.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #27
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hunting Whale, everything you said there is bang on. the importance of having a good young solid D is so true, the flames finally have some options of trading some of the guys like Stone and Brodie and to try and shore up other areas. i ave been critical of BT in the past but i think he is a top 10 GM and this team is heading in the right direction. Playoffs exposed a lot and hopefully that makes some things clearer for BT and management going forward. Always been a flames fan even during the young guns era, that wont change.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #28
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Even the jersey tossing guy will be back next season, guaranteed.
I've been wondering if Jersey Toss Guy was a Coilers fan in disguise trying to spread the stink from the Coilers here, so that they can say "Look, we're not the only team it's happened to". Picked up a cheap jersey and chucked it.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #29
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

There were 3 jersey tossers last night.

Embarrassing.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #30
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Embarrassing.
The 3 Coilers fans in disguise that were talked about earlier?
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #31
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The 3 Coilers fans in disguise that were talked about earlier?
The jerseys were thrown from opposites sides of the rink sadly.

Just some pathetic Flames "fans".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #32
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen this movie before, but I'll always be back for the next installment as long as I'm having fun.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #33
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun season, most fun I've had in a long time for the flames.

Going to take a hiatus from CP and enjoy the spring. See you all in July for UFA day.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #34
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although it was a disappointing end, the season had a some good positive moments in it. Gaudreau 1 point away from the century mark, Lindholm and Hanafin coming in and making an immediate impact that allowed us to have a lethal top line in the season.

And probably the biggest reason for me to be positive for the future is the play of our young defensemen, Anderson, Valimaki and Kylington all stepping in without missing a beat despite their inexperience. Valimaki and Anderson during the post season were calm and collected, not many rookies would be put together in the post season. Anderson's play driving him to the top pairing at times.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:11 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This season was solid but still really stings. I spent a ton of money on the Flames this year. I vacationed to watch them lose in San Jose. I sported an overall record of 13-7-4 live in the regular season and 1-2 in the playoffs. The amount of money, time, and energy I put into this team makes following them my number 1 hobby just like many of the contributors on this board. I don’t see that stopping but I definitely will temper my expectations with this group going forward.

I let myself believe this year was different and we were in for a 2004 spring. I was convinced the Flames were at the very least winning a round especially when we drew the Avs over the Stars in round 1. Losing this year feels worse than missing the playoffs altogether last year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #36
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was an awesome season, playoffs didnt go well. Hopefully a more experienced team next year helps get to the next level.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #37
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in 2004 when the Nucks scored late to tie game 7 I was thinking of great here we go again and fully expected another heartbreaking OT loss. Instead the Flames broke Vancouver’s hearts and I felt more elation than I ever had as a hockey fan. That win felt sweeter because of all the first round failures before.

Next season if the Flames win a round and go on a run it will feel even better after dealing with the pain this season.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #38
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’ve got a great foundation. This was a tough pill to swallow. Not as tough as ‘94 & being up 3-1 on Vancouver. Just different I suppose.

Still, lessons will have been learned. If we know anyone has maximized the learning experience, it’s Treliving.

The officiating was a joke, but we need to be better.

Better execution, emotional resilience, mental antifragility, intelligent physicality/toughness, & perseverance.

I am hoping with the dawning of a new age of sports gambling the chasm between regular season & playoff officiating will lesson.

But Johnny still needs to keep his emotions in check and his words/body language stoic to draw calls unrepentantly.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:

Embarrassing.
It’s both weird and sad. It’s also such an Edmonton thing to do. We should not be taking our cues from those dolts.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
The jerseys were thrown from opposites sides of the rink sadly.

Just some pathetic Flames "fans".

There's only so much constant failure a fanbase can take until a few snap. Edmonton just reached that point a lot faster than Calgary
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote