Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Only Flames Organization I've Ever Known

I'm 31 and too young to have any memories of the '89 cup win.

Not sure what the problem is, I just know there's a problem. Freaking figure it out, Flames.
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm officially resigned to it. I guess this is what growing up is like.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait til next year!
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eventually it'll turn around.

Eventually.
Maybe next year. Maybe.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Using the Oilers as a measuring stick has ruined us for the past 20 years. We're happy as long as we finish higher than them...which basically means nothing.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burnitdown For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 PM   #6
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I'm 31 and too young to have any memories of the '89 cup win.

Not sure what the problem is, I just know there's a problem. Freaking figure it out, Flames.
A lot of it is a loser mentality that being mediocre is enough. That flows through the organization, players & fans.

Even tonight you'll see people on here talking about how it's not so bad, we had a great season, they will learn from this.

A lot of people around the Flames are fine with being meh.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not fine with being meh but not going to let it bother me
Enjoy the highs
Ignore the lows
And there’s always next year which is what makes sports wonderful
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It's annoying how much this team bothers me. I wish i didn't care this much. Like I genuinely get way too worked up about this team. Like so much depends on it. But really it's just a silly game. My gf watches it with me and she can just be like "Oh well, it's ok" and I wish I could have that attitude.

What a disappointing end. Yikes.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Proudly a Calgarian and a Flames fan. No matter what.
Losers questioning loyalty and calling it a loser mentality can go f themselves and buy an Oilers jersey for when they catch fire once a decade.

Last edited by browna; 04-19-2019 at 10:49 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The issue is, if they make the playoffs, ownership is happy.

So the mandate has always been "Can we win now?" and if the answer is "Yes." then the chips are pushed in, year after year.

The results were marginally competitive teams, just good enough to be close every year, and not bad enough to garner high draft picks (which had basically been traded off).

Even when Feaster took over from Sutter as GM, the mandate was "win now".

It's the oilers mandate too at this point, for the same reasons. "We're a piece away!"

The Flames were wrong. They weren't close. They had Kiprusoff. Kipper goes down, Flames draft at lottery time. It was masked. We've been basically bad since then, inconsistent at best.

High picks are not "the answer" (look at Edmonton). But it shows with players like Monahan, Tkachuk, Bennett (we hope) etc - these are our better players. (Recently had some nice defensemen added in).

We've whiffed on free agents - Brouwer, Neal, blech. Had guys like Stajan on board for years and years. Not a passenger but.... no real talent.

What we have now is a team of mediocre pieces with experience, some younger pieces that may get better but need seasoning. Our very best players are not as good as the very best players on other teams, outside of Gio and Johnny. And even then. Cole outplayed Gio in this series.

Need guys who would rather die than lose, and who are good enough to make it happen.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #11
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Losers questioning loyalty and calling it a loser mentality can go f themselves and buy an Oilers jersey for when they catch fire once a decade.
Ah the old call them an Oilers fan if they don't agree with you. You're a true Flames fan, pat on the back. Cookies for you little child.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

My goal for this season was: make the playoffs, win a couple of rounds. Haven't done that in 15 years.

Regular season success was a nice surprise, but only makes the early playoff exit sting worse.

What's really disappointing is that any regular season success next year will be shrouded in skepticism until they can prove they can do it in the playoffs
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #13
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Ah the old call them an Oilers fan if they don't agree with you. You're a true Flames fan, pat on the back. Cookies for you little child.
There tiers of fans! If you aren't a tier 1, get the #### out!

A franchise that's normalized to constant disappointment is the Cleveland Browns. I don't know how year in, year out, they can continue to support that team despite them breaking their hearts each and every time. At least Flames make the playoffs at times, and can make it to the 2nd round here and there once a decade.

It sucks, but it is what it is.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #14
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do honestly wonder if a big part of the problem is complacency by ownership. They know that the fans will ALWAYS be back in full force no matter what, so there's no real incentive for them to lift this team out of mediocrity.

If you're running a business, and you know that the bottom line won't be hurt even if you do a mediocre job, will you ever feel a sense of urgency to do better?

When you look at Canadian teams in general, they all have ultra-loyal fan bases, and none of them have won a cup since '93. It makes you wonder...
Mathgod is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #15
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Doesn't have to be the Oilers, pick any bandwagon team if being associated with a winning team makes you feel validated and better about yourself, and not a "loser"like us backwater Flames fans are supposed to feel, for being loyal to an organization.

And since you seem so wise, what should us Flames fans to do prevent us from falling into a loser mentality along with the team's on the ice failure? Form picket lines at the Dome demanding change?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #16
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Only Flames Organization I've Ever Known

It sucks when your best playoff memory ended with the biggest heart break in flames history. Says a lot about the last 15 years. Feel lucky if you were around in 89. Disappointments my whole life, but that’s sports and I’ll ride with this team forever.

It truly is amazing that even after all the years of not making the playoffs the flames have still not gotten a draft pick in the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #17
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I am definitely guilty of calling out the culture of mediocrity within the Flames, like i said this team get's me way too worked up its not healthy. It's frustrating as hell to see such a wonderful opportunity get pissed away but damn those Avs were determined. They were unreal! like that was an ass kicking if I have ever seen one.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And since you seem so wise, what should us Flames fans to do prevent us from falling into a loser mentality along with the team's on the ice failure? Form picket lines at the Dome demanding change?
You should acuse upset fans of being bandwagons or lesser fans.
That way you'll feel better about yourself and it helps cope with the frustrations of the hockey results. Beause at least you're still a "real fan".
Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #19
Brodieyouevenlift
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm 24, and the only time the Flames actually accomplished anything meaningful I was too young to appreciate it or even remember it. I'm too emotionally invested in this team to simply stop watching. But now I'm just stuck wondering, what the point anymore? Everytime time it seems there's a little bit of hope, the Flames always find a way to ruin it. This franchise has brought me plenty of joy over the years, but it is far outweighed by all the crushing disappointed year after year
Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #20
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I do honestly wonder if a big part of the problem is complacency by ownership. They know that the fans will ALWAYS be back in full force no matter what, so there's no real incentive for them to lift this team out of mediocrity.

If you're running a business, and you know that the bottom line won't be hurt even if you do a mediocre job, will you ever feel a sense of urgency to do better?

When you look at Canadian teams in general, they all have ultra-loyal fan bases, and none of them have won a cup since '93. It makes you wonder...
The thing that contradict that, is that the owners would make more money if the team actually has deep runs, and make it to the finals. And if a rebuild is necessary, fans are willing to invest money here moreso in Canada since they'll still come to the games for the most part. So I don't think owners are that complacent, since there's a lot of money to be made by having a fair number of home playoff games that go late in the postseason.

Flames owners (and restaurants/bars) just lost out of a lot of money by Flames not meeting expectations.

Last edited by Joborule; 04-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote