Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2018, 11:45 PM   #201
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Yes, and you can add more to the list like Anton Khudobin, he would make awesome tandem with Rittich. I wish people here would STOP calling for washed up goalies like Mason or Lehtonen, only to rage about the signing afterwards just like with Hiller or Elliot.
we've missed out on raanta, jones, talbot, andersen, hutton, and guys already mentioned like lehner, grubauer, and halak. some of those goalies were more expensive (some were ufas), but you get a .871% and 3.5+ gaa starter and more games like tonight if you don't identify goaltending talent or pay up
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #202
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Backlund is just like the majority of NHL players in that now that he has this gigantic guaranteed pay he doesn't really have the incentive to;

a) take hits and risks like getting injured
b) working hard is hard and why? I am making enormous $$$$
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #203
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Rittich has an .857 save percentage over his last 3 games. And the Hawks were floating some on him from well out late in the game hoping to find a hole.
I guess you counting in the Pens game where he relieved Smith at the
6-0 score. I bet he got a great defensive support for the rest of a game. Oh wait...
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #204
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Yes..

But I remember him saying to the guys on the fan in the offseason that was a regret of his and he learned from it.

He's sticking up for Smith in the media but I'm sure he can't be happy.

He's just a man who has learned from his mistakes.
Well,it was also because Lack behind the scenes was taking a piss poor, it’s not my fault attitude in the locker room that got Peters steamed. Lack did the same thing here when he felt he wasn’t being respected, and quietly got the boot, and I am almost certain that is not the attitude Smith has, even if Peters wanted to repeat his tirade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast View Post
I don’t think factoring in the Pitt game when Rittich was thrown halfway into a blowout is a good way to evaluate his sv%.
As mentioned, Smith is two starts removed from more or less a shutout. Remove that from his resume, as well as his shutout this year then, if you’re going to ignore the Rittich stats?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #205
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Backlund is just like the majority of NHL players in that now that he has this gigantic guaranteed pay he doesn't really have the incentive to;

a) take hits and risks like getting injured
b) working hard is hard and why? I am making enormous $$$$
I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction...

He was awful tonight but he’s been one of our better forwards the past few games before tonight.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #206
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It’s gotta be a mental thing with Smitty. Get him to a shrink. Goalies are nuts to begin with.

Everyone says what a physical specimen the guy is. He’s known as a fierce competitor. Where’s that guy? I honestly haven’t seen that guy since the team let Lucic manhandle him last year. His Save percentage is dead last in the league for starters. His GAA isn’t much better. Maybe Smith needs to let the freak flag fly a bit. Shoot at open nets. Two hand Getzlaf in front. I don’t know. Snap out of it Mike.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #207
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith wasn't good but the thing I am most disappointed with tonight was how the Flames just stopped playing after Jankowski tied it. The kid makes a great individual effort and gets everyone back in the game, and on the next shift, Gio lets his man waltz into the zone because both forwards overcommit to the puck carrier. Hamonic barely engages as the Duck cuts across the crease and then Ryan is sent flying after just bumping into a guy.

You can't stop playing hard, even for a shift, especially in the goddamn Honda Center.

The last couple minutes were pathetic as well but sometimes you just don't have it.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #208
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Mike Smith needs to just retire. He's not an NHL goalie. He's got nothing left. Quick tanking the team.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #209
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
we've missed out on raanta, jones, talbot, andersen, hutton, and guys already mentioned like lehner, grubauer, and halak. some of those goalies were more expensive (some were ufas), but you get a .871% and 3.5+ gaa starter and more games like tonight if you don't identify goaltending talent or pay up
A couple of those names above aren’t helping your argument. Jones and Talbot are struggling just like Smith.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #210
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Smith wasn't good but the thing I am most disappointed with tonight was how the Flames just stopped playing after Jankowski tied it. The kid makes a great individual effort and gets everyone back in the game, and on the next shift, Gio lets his man waltz into the zone because both forwards overcommit to the puck carrier. Hamonic barely engages as the Duck cuts across the crease and then Ryan is sent flying after just bumping into a guy.

You can't stop playing hard, even for a shift, especially in the goddamn Honda Center.

The last couple minutes were pathetic as well but sometimes you just don't have it.
The Ducks were still on a PP there. Sure a bit of a fire drill after Hamonic slid or got knocked out of the play, which lead 3 Flames on their knees or butts seconds before the goal..but .the incredibly selfish penalty to put the Flames in that position is the bigger cause of that situation.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #211
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

How miserable must Bill Peters be that every year he's been a head coach in the NHL, he's had to deal with awful goaltending.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:55 PM   #212
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
A couple of those names above aren’t helping your argument. Jones and Talbot are struggling just like Smith.
The flames would be top 3 in NHL with either of those guys in net so far this year
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #213
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rittich has an .857 save percentage over his last 3 games. And the Hawks were floating some on him from well out late in the game hoping to find a hole.
Glad that fits your Narrative.

Or you could just go with the 4-1-0 .927 2.24 Stat line that he has. But that wouldn't fit your narrative.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #214
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well,it was also because Lack behind the scenes was taking a piss poor, it’s not my fault attitude in the locker room that got Peters steamed. Lack did the same thing here when he felt he wasn’t being respected, and quietly got the boot, and I am almost certain that is not the attitude Smith has, even if Peters wanted to repeat his tirade.

As mentioned, Smith is two starts removed from more or less a shutout. Remove that from his resume, as well as his shutout this year then, if you’re going to ignore the Rittich stats?
What a hell? So you just removed all but one of Rittich's quality starts and then you say this?
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #215
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, you have to actually watch the games and goals, and put the stats in context.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #216
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
both of those guys are better than smith this year, younger than smith, and have better career averages. they seem like better bets to stop struggling sooner or at all this year than smith
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #217
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Glad that fits your Narrative.

Or you could just go with the 4-1-0 .927 2.24 Stat line that he has. But that woildnt fit your narrative.
Honestly, I’m not a Smith hater by any means but he’s not getting it done at all this season other than one game (43 save shutout win in Nashville). It’s time to run with Rittich for a bit and see how he does, can it honestly be any worse?

I really hope Treliving is working the phones because if this continues, they are going to waste a year of their window. They are a good if not very good team but they need to replace Smith.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #218
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pat Steinberg is spot on tonight.
Making be feel a little less upset.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #219
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Take out the Pittsburgh game as that was the whole team leaving everything out to dry.

The goals against him by Chicago were on a 5 on 3, a seeing eye top corner shot and one where he missed a poke check on a breakaway. Smith's have been flubbing shots from the top of the circle with no screen, playing deep in his net and giving up huge rebounds.

You're off your rocker if you think that Rittich isn't miles better right now.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #220
Breakfast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t really get your point. Are you saying Smith is better than his numbers suggest? At the same time saying Rittich is worse than his numbers suggest?

Rittich has been far, far better. In sv%, in games that he’s started, heck, he even looked better than Smith in the Pitt blowout, if you want to include wacky sample sizes.