Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #141
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Waivers

Again, seems fair. Although I will admit I planned on doing this with a few players and even did it with Pirri earlier in the year to free up money so I could land someone else. There’s 0 reason I should have Pirri in the AHL though. I do bounce a few low level guys between NHL and AHL when I need to fill a spot and I think this rule will still allow me that, but guys who are over a certain rating are playable and should be played. Again, it stops people hiding talent in the AHL/ECHL while having a full talented roster as well. It will get more assets moving and allow rebuilding teams a few more options. It’s definitely a positive.
Just so you are clear what the rule is about, Pirriis perfectly ok and within the rules.

We have a waiver rule that states any player (23 and under) 64ov and over has to re-enter waivers if they are recalled to the CPHL. But this rule only applied for the season and not the offseason. So a team like me could send Tavares 76ov, Seguin 74ov and Ellis 63ov (still ok but if he's rerated to a 64) and sign these guy down at the farm which would save me 18M to use for FA. Once I bought players and made trades and used that vaue and acquired prospects so I freed up 18M on my CPHL team I would then call them up

When and if you sent Pirriis down to the minors to free up 2M is perfectly ok, as he's under the rating for which 23 under kids can. But star players like Tavares and Seguin should never and were only sent down to free up huge money to buy and was a huge loop hole that thankfully has been closed

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 03-20-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #142
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Drury18, I love how active you are and you are going to be a great GM, but you failure to comprehend how cap is reset annually proves my point that it is very difficult for new GM's to comprehend how complex this game is, meaning for GM's who are not as confident as you are, it would be difficult for them to comment on any new rule changes. I am sorry you were insulted but I was obviously right.
You realize that if any GMs are feeling intimidated it is posts like this that do it.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #143
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see nothing wrong with my post, just stating the obvious. Not sure what is so difficult to understand that new GM's might take some time to learn all the rules. I stand by my comment and believe that we are not hearing from some because they are just not in a position to comfortably comment yet. That's Ok isnt it?

When can we expect a final decision on implementing the new rules or is the decision already final?

Can you answer that question please?

The sooner we know, the sooner we can move on.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #144
Knut

Exp:

Love this thread !

Anyways. I have just sold Beachamin for a Lower cost than pre rule. It is the new economy of the league. Curious how it plays out.

Also. I heard two comments about nameless (me) GMs trying to overrate a UfA. Well, I wouldn't be doing my job if I am not trying to extract the most value from a UFA. Maybe I should have just taken the first offer.

Finally. Drury18 is really fitting in well and likely knows the rules better than some GMs that have been here longer.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #145
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Love this thread !

Anyways. I have just sold Beachamin for a Lower cost than pre rule. It is the new economy of the league. Curious how it plays out.

Also. I heard two comments about nameless (me) GMs trying to overrate a UfA. Well, I wouldn't be doing my job if I am not trying to extract the most value from a UFA. Maybe I should have just taken the first offer.

Finally. Drury18 is really fitting in well and likely knows the rules better than some GMs that have been here longer.
If you think my comment about trying to extract higher UFA values was about you specifically, it wasn't. Mine was a general comment about how GMs have operated in the past. That's why I like the new rule because the reality is that trading for UFA rights shouldn't be worth a lot IMO.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #146
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with my post, just stating the obvious. Not sure what is so difficult to understand that new GM's might take some time to learn all the rules. I stand by my comment and believe that we are not hearing from some because they are just not in a position to comfortably comment yet. That's Ok isnt it? .
It's OK but don't try to speak on their behalf. Let them talk on their own. And don't imply that GMs are afraid to talk unless you know that with certainty. And finally - don't devalue the opinions of new GMs or dismiss them. To be frank - the way you've talked to Drury in this thread is not acceptable. Period.

Quote:
When can we expect a final decision on implementing the new rules or is the decision already final?

Can you answer that question please?

The sooner we know, the sooner we can move on.
We are going to roll out the rules as planned.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #147
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Love this thread !

I actually think you did quite well with that trade. Folin could be a good piece in the long-run.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #148
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

So let me get this straight:

1. I provide a valid opinion that it's unrealistic to think all new GM's comprehend the rules thus the timing of implementing new rules is bad
2. 1 new GM is insulted so I am left to assume they must know all the rules, thus devaluing my argument
3. I point out that the said new GM does not yet comprehend the rules based on a lenghtly (but pretty solid) post, which is normal, but yet helps to strenthen my argument once again.
4. I am called a bully
5. My treatment of a new GM is not acceptable.

It's ironic that you tell me not to devalue the opinions of others now isn't it?

I think I have made my case and I think it is a good one that has been shared by many GM's.

Once again, I can live with the decision and will move on.

Thanks for your time.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #149
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
5. My treatment of a new GM is not acceptable.
This is the most important point. Yes. It is unacceptable. PM me if you have any further questions and we can address it 1:1 so we don't de-rail the thread further.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #150
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

4. UFAs
a. We will no longer allow teams to trade UFA rights during the off-season. If a pending UFA is on your roster at the trade deadline you will have a choice to re-sign them if you have the available cap space, or let them hit free agency.

Just to clarify... resigning UFA's happen after the Cheese Cap reset correct?
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #151
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydrew19 View Post
4. UFAs
a. We will no longer allow teams to trade UFA rights during the off-season. If a pending UFA is on your roster at the trade deadline you will have a choice to re-sign them if you have the available cap space, or let them hit free agency.

Just to clarify... resigning UFA's happen after the Cheese Cap reset correct?
Yes.
Off-season Order is

Draft
Supplement Draft *NEW*
Rollover (cap re-sets, players advance 1 year in contract and age)
Recall Deadline *NEW*
RFA Re-signing
UFA Re-signing
UFA Season
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #152
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun thread.

I could definitely see the issues with the timing in everything, and in all fairness i was in support of all the rules beginning in the offseason. But as Jiri said, everyone is going to get slapped by at least one of the rules. Why would it be fair for the lower seeded teams to start off with a disadvantage against already top tier teams?

You get to trade all your pending UFA players after building for a playoff run, and get paid for performing well during the season. Meanwhile the draft rules are being applied to my newly drafted ECHL players who will have to fall under the new rules. There really isnt an ideal time to start thats fair for everybody unless it was game 1 of the 2015/16 season
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #153
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks to the Commish team for listening to suggestions put forth by the GMs last week. It is one of great aspects of this league, the Commish team values input from the GMs.

I am in favor of having the changes take place right now. I think it will benefit the league as whole and that is the important piece.

I also think the tone of some of the posts are what causes some GMs to keep quiet and not get involved.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flickered Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #154
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Supplementary Draft will place players in the ECHL. Correct?
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #155
JiriHrdina

Exp:

yes
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #156
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5. Waivers
a. We will adjust our current waiver rules regarding players aged 23 and under and above a set ratings threshold (set each off-season after re-rates). No longer will teams be allowed to move players down to the AHL temporarily. They will be required to have those players, above the set rating threshold, on their roster approximately a week after re-rates are released. Essentially we aren’t going to allow teams to “hide” players in the AHL to create temporary cap space to be used for free agency
These players above the threshold, is it mandatory to have them up in the CPHL or we sticking with the rule, if they're not brought up within that 1 week period they will have to go through waivers to be brought up later in the year?

I think we should make it mandatory that all players above the threshold are brought up, since there is no AHL.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #157
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
These players above the threshold, is it mandatory to have them up in the CPHL or we sticking with the rule, if they're not brought up within that 1 week period they will have to go through waivers to be brought up later in the year?

I think we should make it mandatory that all players above the threshold are brought up, since there is no AHL.
They will be subject to waivers upon recall if the team chooses to do that.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #158
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Clarity/Tweak to re-call waiver rule

This one causes problems every year, to the point that I even described it wrong it my initial post about RFAs.
To step back, the waive recall cut off rule was created to counteract a pattern of GMs stashing players 23 years and younger in the minor to free up as much cap space as possible.
So that could mean, for instance, that I could put guys like Seth Jones, Andrei Barkov and Nathan Mackinnon all in the AHL to give me more cap space to bid on UFAs.
However, it has constantly provided confusion and once we get into the season is near impossible to enforce, particularly since the sim sometimes dresses guys randomly.

So we are going to try and simplify this.

You must have any player 23 years or younger and a rating above the cutpoint (according to the grids) on your main CPHL roster when you submit your UFA re-signing or open batch bids. In other words their salary MUST be accounted for in terms of how much space you have to make those bids.

Once we are done with all UFA bids, then you have the freedom to move these players up and down as part of your roster management.

Questions?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #159
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still excludes ECHL guys, correct?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #160
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah unless they have 0 years left on their deals. In that case you need to sign them and get them in the NHL
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote