Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #461
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Poirier goes to the box for a very very obvious slash, wasting his teams PP after only a minute.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #462
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
Emile Poirier's 8th goal of the playoffs tonight gives him 51 on the year, the most by a Flames draft pick since Ryan Howse (52) in 2010-11.
this tweet excited me, but then also made me realize how little these numbers can mean.....
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #463
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
this tweet excited me, but then also made me realize how little these numbers can mean.....
Haha, I went through the exact same thought process. Fortunately there's a lot more to Poirier's game than just his shot. I think he's probably got one of the highest floors of any of our prospects. With his size and speed I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up as at least a serviceable bottom-6 option. Obviously my hopes are much higher than that, but I would be be shocked if he goes the way of Howse.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM   #464
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

3-1 for Halifax after 2. Poirier takes another foolish penalty for high sticking. Looks frustrated and lacking discipline..

Hoping he and the Olympiques have a strong 3rd to revive their playoff hopes. But so far its been all Drouin, Ehlers and the Mooseheads.

PS....I really dont like Drouin...
He seems overly flashy and has this Yakupov-like cockyness about him.
But he definitely is fun to watch...such a talented player! He will need to simplify his game if he will be a success in the NHL imo.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #465
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Arnold and Gaudreau in Calgary?
Poirier and Klimchuk in Abbotsford?

Oh joy!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #466
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4-1 for Halifax now. 2nd goal coming on a Poirier penalty. Halifax over 40% on the PP in the playoffs. I'm sure coach Groulx talked to Gatineau about staying off the PK but they have taken some very stupid penalties.

Oh well. See you in Abbotsford Emile!
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #467
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirer and Gatineau eliminated.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #468
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wasn't very impressed with Poirier's performance. Appears to be a good skater but a bunch of cheap penalties. Ehlers really impressed and can play right point on the power play.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #469
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure it's already been discussed, but is it NHL or back to junior for Poirier next season, or is he AHL eligible since he turns 20 before the end of 2014?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #470
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm sure it's already been discussed, but is it NHL or back to junior for Poirier next season, or is he AHL eligible since he turns 20 before the end of 2014?
He can play in the NHL, AHL or QMJHL next season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #471
Stanathan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Although eligible, I doubt he goes back to the Q. I'm excited to see him against pros.
Stanathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #472
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Excellent.

Hope he turns pro. No point in going back to Junior at this point IMO. He's ineligible for the WJC, so he mine as well take the next step.

That's great news.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #473
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Emile Poirier could be Calgary Flames' next young gun

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/24...next-young-gun

Quote:
“He’s got an NHL shot today. He has a tremendous shot, a tremendous release,” said Flames GM Brad Treliving. “And he can skate at the NHL level. The funny thing with Emile, if you watch him skate, it’s not an oil painting. Maybe ‘unorthodox’ is the right word. But he wins races. He gets to places fast. He beats people with his feet. He’s explosive. He’s got an explosive stride.

“Those are great assets for him.”
Quote:
So what’s the hold-up?

Perhaps a better question is, what’s the rush?

“He’s learning the game away from the puck. He’s learning to become more responsible in his own end. He’s learning the defensive details. Those things have taken, I think, a big step forward since the start of the year,” Treliving said. “I really like his offensive instincts. He knows where to go on the offensive side. He plays with pace, and there’s some edge to him. He’s a determined player and he’s not shy about going into contested areas. He’ll go to places that are uncomfortable to score, and he has some bite to him.

“We don’t want to mute any of his offence, but it’s incorporating that defensive conscience and learning to make sure he’s conscious on both sides of the puck. That takes time. That’s just maturation. That’s just playing what I call a ‘pro game’ and graduating your game to a pro game.

“It’s nothing alarming. To me, that’s just part of the development process.”

It’s no secret to the Montreal-raised speedster that shoring up his defensive play is the top item on the to-do list.

Asked what he’s most proud of so far in his first season in the pro ranks, Poirier pinpointed his status as a plus-player. He owns a plus-nine rating, the top mark among forwards in Adirondack.

“I want to work to be a complete player, not just offensively,” Poirier said. “That’s an area I’m proud about, for sure. I just want to do my job in both ends.”
Quote:
“Pro hockey, I like it. It’s a good life,” Poirier said. “This is a great league. We have great guys here, great coaching staff, and I think it’s been good so far for me.

“I enjoy every moment here and I’m learning a lot, so it’s very good for me.”

One day, and probably not too far down the road, the Flames expect Poirier will be very good for them.

“We’re not necessarily focused on a date that he is going to be in Calgary,” Treliving cautioned. “We think he’s going to be a really good player for a long time, but he’s a developing player.

“We just want to continue to round out his game, continue to do what he’s doing there, and his time will come.”
Love this guy's attitude and drive.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post: