Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #5261
direwolf
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d2f41f820929

Quote:
Trump’s firing of FBI Director James B. Comey last month and the escalating probe into Russian interference in the presidential election have made hiring even more difficult, say former federal officials, party activists, lobbyists and candidates who Trump officials have tried to recruit.

Republicans say they are turning down job offers to work for a chief executive whose volatile temperament makes them nervous. They are asking head-hunters if their reputations could suffer permanent damage, according to 27 people The Washington Post interviewed to assess what is becoming a debilitating factor in recruiting political appointees.
Quote:
Potential candidates are watching Trump’s behavior and monitoring his treatment of senior officials. “Trump is becoming radioactive, and it’s accelerating,” said Bill Valdez, a former senior Energy Department official who is now president of the Senior Executives Association, which represents 6,000 top federal leaders.

“He just threw Jeff Sessions under the bus,” Valdez said, referring to recent reports that the president is furious at the attorney general for recusing himself from the Russia investigation. “If you’re working with a boss who doesn’t have your back, you have no confidence in working with that individual.”
Quote:
Another person in line for a senior legal post who pulled out after Comey’s firing said, “I decided, ‘What am I doing this for?’ ”

He described a disorganized paperwork process that threatened to leave him unprepared for Senate confirmation, and said he was disgusted that Rosenstein was “hung out to dry” as the president claimed at first that the deputy attorney general orchestrated Comey’s firing.

“You sit on the tarmac for quite some time, you see smoke coming out of the engine and you say, ‘I’m going back to the gate,’ ” he said.
direwolf is online now  
Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #5262
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Nightmare fuel. Not sure how sensitive we are to women in bathing suits, so I'll put this behind NSFW.
NSFW!
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - hold on tight, we're going in dry!
Fuzz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #5263
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Exp:
Default

^
That is pretty damn disturbing.
__________________
"Cammy just threw them in my locker & told me to hold on to them." - Giordano on the pencils from Iggy's stall.
MolsonInBothHands is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to MolsonInBothHands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #5264
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Yes, the chins just keep on going and going...
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - hold on tight, we're going in dry!
Fuzz is offline  
Old 06-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #5265
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default


Last edited by DownInFlames; 06-18-2017 at 04:56 PM.
DownInFlames is online now  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #5266
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Man, my dad is one of those willfully ignorant Trump supporters, so I can see exactly how the Democrats are going to lose the next election. Apparently Trump has gotten more done so far than Obama ever did and he'd have gotten even more done if it weren't for those damn Democrats. Oh, and thank God for Fox News (especially Tucker Carlson) because they'd be screwed down there without it.
rubecube is offline  
Old 06-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #5267
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Exactly, it doesn't matter what they're doing, it only matters what voters think they're doing.

And they're being told "the left" is unhinged and violent, which is why ads like this will work.

__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #5268
direwolf
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Man, my dad is one of those willfully ignorant Trump supporters, so I can see exactly how the Democrats are going to lose the next election. Apparently Trump has gotten more done so far than Obama ever did and he'd have gotten even more done if it weren't for those damn Democrats. Oh, and thank God for Fox News (especially Tucker Carlson) because they'd be screwed down there without it.
I have an uncle who is similar. His ridiculous right-wing memes kept popping up in my Facebook newsfeed, so I ended up blocking him. One time I commented on one of his idiotic posts with actual facts and what I figured was a very convincing counter argument. And yea, he didn't take that very well.

He and your dad should hang out sometime. They'd probably become instant best friends.
direwolf is online now  
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #5269
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I have an uncle who is similar. His ridiculous right-wing memes kept popping up in my Facebook newsfeed, so I ended up blocking him. One time I commented on one of his idiotic posts with actual facts and what I figured was a very convincing counter argument. And yea, he didn't take that very well.

He and your dad should hang out sometime. They'd probably become instant best friends.
I don't bother debating with my dad because he's just bought in so hard to this stuff that it's like talking to a brick wall. He's also really racist but him being a racist and a Trump supporter must be a total coincidence apparently.

There was a funny moment today when he said to me "You're probably a Democrat," and I said "Oh God no, they're too far to the right for my liking."
rubecube is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #5270
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

But what you guys are saying is, the republicans are supported by old white racists, that aren't big on critical thinking. That's good, because their support will soon die out, and I mean no ill will towards your families. Just that the demographics are changing with time.
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is offline  
Old 06-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #5271
MoneyGuy
#1 Goaltender
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Man, my dad is one of those willfully ignorant Trump supporters, so I can see exactly how the Democrats are going to lose the next election. Apparently Trump has gotten more done so far than Obama ever did and he'd have gotten even more done if it weren't for those damn Democrats. Oh, and thank God for Fox News (especially Tucker Carlson) because they'd be screwed down there without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I have an uncle who is similar. His ridiculous right-wing memes kept popping up in my Facebook newsfeed, so I ended up blocking him. One time I commented on one of his idiotic posts with actual facts and what I figured was a very convincing counter argument. And yea, he didn't take that very well.

He and your dad should hang out sometime. They'd probably become instant best friends.
Maybe you guys are cousins.
MoneyGuy is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #5272
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
That's good, because their support will soon die out, and I mean no ill will towards your families. Just that the demographics are changing with time.
This is exactly what I thought fifteen or twenty years ago when I argued with religious people about gay marriage. "If we can just make this opinion publicly unacceptable to hold, the homophobes will all just keep it to themselves and slowly die off." I suspect others had similar thoughts about holocaust denial and neo-nazism, especially in mainland Europe... It doesn't actually work that way.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #5273
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

So he deleted this one, so let's baseless-ly speculate shall we? I'm gonna say he was ordered by his other lawyers to delete this one.

__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:09 AM   #5274
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is exactly what I thought fifteen or twenty years ago when I argued with religious people about gay marriage. "If we can just make this opinion publicly unacceptable to hold, the homophobes will all just keep it to themselves and slowly die off." I suspect others had similar thoughts about holocaust denial and neo-nazism, especially in mainland Europe... It doesn't actually work that way.
It does marginalize beliefs though. Generational change is probably the least invasive type of social change and the most effective. Its where well funded public education is so important. Now that the US is failing at that you might continue to see these types of beliefs propagate but if you can avoid brainwashing kids to hate things it really does move things forward quickly.
GGG is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #5275
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So he deleted this one, so let's baseless-ly speculate shall we? I'm gonna say he was ordered by his other lawyers to delete this one.

I thought he wasn't allowed to delete anything?
FanIn80 is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #5276
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It does marginalize beliefs though. Generational change is probably the least invasive type of social change and the most effective.
It is, however, it has to happen organically to actually be effective - I don't think attempts to force certain beliefs to the background where they can fester helps as much as it hurts. People seem to congregate around the ideas and convince themselves that they're right but they're being suppressed by the establishment. Outlawing holocaust denial has actually allowed a resurgence in white nationalism in Europe.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #5277
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is exactly what I thought fifteen or twenty years ago when I argued with religious people about gay marriage. "If we can just make this opinion publicly unacceptable to hold, the homophobes will all just keep it to themselves and slowly die off." I suspect others had similar thoughts about holocaust denial and neo-nazism, especially in mainland Europe... It doesn't actually work that way.
Those religious people, would be say my grandparents, not acceptable to gays because of jesus.
Next generation (my parents), more acceptable to gays, less acceptable to religion.
Me and wife, completely acceptable to gays, completely unacceptable to discrimination and bias towards other because of people believing in fairy tales, and thinking they should affect others lives.
My kid, part of group at school ( I think lgbt alliance) at high school, that would help gays be a part of main stream life in school. Way too rational, logical, civilized etc. to believe fairy tales are real, and should have any affect on others lives.

There you go, it does work that way, and even though it takes time to propagate.
__________________
Pass the bacon.

Last edited by DuffMan; 06-19-2017 at 10:23 AM.
DuffMan is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #5278
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

So I was trying to clean up some old recordings I had, yesterday, and started watching a Vice special, "A house divided". Was on awhile ago.
Anyways, listening to Obama again....It just blows my mind how much more intelligent and articulate he is than Trump, thoroughly, blows my mind.
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #5279
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I thought he wasn't allowed to delete anything?
That has stopped him when?
chemgear is offline  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #5280
edslunch
First Line Centre
 
edslunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Exp:
Default



Tapatalk always shows the last image of each thread when browsing. I never want to see that Trump bathing suit picture again, so I give you an emu
edslunch is online now  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016