Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2022, 08:00 PM   #241
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m currently in BC (Fernie). Feeling satisfied.

Me too. I've been living in North Van for almost 7 years now, and I love it here. I'm perfectly satisfied with my job situation and I'm doing ok in the grand scheme of things. I grew up in Calgary and I'll always think of it as my hometown, but the chances of me ever moving back there are slim to none at this point.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:13 PM   #242
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, Kamloops is home.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

This thread is a bit funny because although I'm sure most of the experiences being recounted are genuine, they nothing more than generalizations. BC is a big and diverse place. People are talking about Vancouver as if it is homogeneous. It is a world city with something for everyone. Not saying its good for everyone, but I know lots of 35+ people who love it.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:40 PM   #243
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’m currently in BC (Fernie). Feeling satisfied.
If you can live well in Fernie you have it made.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #244
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
If you can live well in Fernie you have it made.
I think he was making a joke about travelling there and feeling satisfied as per the thread. He lives in Calgary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #245
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think he was making a joke about travelling there and feeling satisfied as per the thread. He lives in Calgary.
Oops.
Total miss by me.
Living in Fernie is still good
Old 08-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #246
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oops.
Total miss by me.
Living in Fernie is still good

Haha, I missed it as well.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #247
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Haha, I missed it as well.
Us BC folk are spacey, right.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #248
jayswin

Exp:

Spacey and dissatisfied - stick a fork in 'em.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:55 PM   #249
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Kamloops is home.

This thread is a bit funny because although I'm sure most of the experiences being recounted are genuine, they nothing more than generalizations. BC is a big and diverse place. People are talking about Vancouver as if it is homogeneous. It is a world city with something for everyone. Not saying its good for everyone, but I know lots of 35+ people who love it.
Hilariously, something people in Vancouver or Victoria have no concept of. They only know where their bicycle can take them.

But they're the majority.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:06 AM   #250
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Kamloops is home.

I don't see many generalizing about Vancouver or saying that it's a bad place for everyone, more just posting about a diverse range of specific sides of the city that negatively affect their satisfaction and make it a worse place to live for lots of other people.

Also, Vancouver isn’t a world city. Not that a place has to be a world city to be a good place to live, but Vancouver just isn't a world city.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #251
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I don't see many generalizing about Vancouver or saying that it's a bad place for everyone, more just posting about a diverse range of specific sides of the city that negatively affect their satisfaction and make it a worse place to live for lots of other people.

Also, Vancouver isn’t a world city. Not that a place has to be a world city to be a good place to live, but Vancouver just isn't a world city.
I was keying on the comments about it not being a good place for 35+ people. Seems like too much of a blanket statement to be meaningful. There are certainly many aspects of life in Vancouver that won't appeal to a lot of people.

As for the world city definition, I guess it could be a bit nebulous, but we are talking about a significant metro area, incredibly diverse population, major international shipping and transport hub, dramatic scenic tourism destination, arts and culture.... what criteria are lacking in your opinion?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 09:13 AM   #252
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver is ranked as a Beta+, the 5th ranking group. Calgary is a Beta-, the 7th. Toronto makes Alpha, the 3rd.

https://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog...-gamma-cities/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #253
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Vancouver is ranked as a Beta+, the 5th ranking group. Calgary is a Beta-, the 7th. Toronto makes Alpha, the 3rd.

Neat list. A separate tier for only NYC And London seems a bit silly.

I’m surprised Auckland is in the same tier as Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #254
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting.
Definitely weighted towards economic impacts (which is justifiable in a global economy), but seems pretty fair.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #255
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for the world city definition, I guess it could be a bit nebulous, but we are talking about a significant metro area, incredibly diverse population, major international shipping and transport hub, dramatic scenic tourism destination, arts and culture.... what criteria are lacking in your opinion?
It's certainly fair to call Vancouver a diverse city or an international city, but it's not a center of power, finance, culture, or industry globally. It's a periphery city, maybe the near periphery, but not a city that anything pivots around in a global context.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:20 AM   #256
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's certainly fair to call Vancouver a diverse city or an international city, but it's not a center of power, finance, culture, or industry globally. It's a periphery city, maybe the near periphery, but not a city that anything pivots around in a global context.
I'd agree with that, so maybe I am being a bit too generous with my assessment. I guess I am going off of the feeling I get in certain places that the rest of the world is just one step away, like you can feel it ready to pour in and in turn you can reach out and touch it yourself. Perhaps I am using the term "world city" when I should be saying "international city".
Interesting discussion, though.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #257
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

and yes for those who are curious Edmonton is a Gamma- (and seeing as this is a Flames board, yes so is Columbus)

it is an interesting list, a bit random, like most things, but doesn't seem totally out of whack-
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:16 PM   #258
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I'd call Vancouver both less diverse and globally significant than Seattle, and Seattle is behind both LA and San Francisco. That's just on the west coast of North America.

It might seem like I'm trashing Vancouver, but all cities have their problems, and I'm not sure there's another city I'd rather live in.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #259
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually I would disagree, Vancouver is the home to the production of largest number of crappy 2nd tier TV shows in the world, there isnt a cheap sci fi series or hallmark card romance movie that wasnt filmed in Ft Langley or somewhere up in the British Properties, it may not be good culture but it is still culture
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2022, 02:37 PM   #260
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'd call Vancouver both less diverse and globally significant than Seattle, and Seattle is behind both LA and San Francisco. That's just on the west coast of North America.

It might seem like I'm trashing Vancouver, but all cities have their problems, and I'm not sure there's another city I'd rather live in.
Vancouver less diverse than Seattle?

Anecdotally that doesn't seem true at all, just travelling around both cities. I don't know the actual stats difference, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world