Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #201
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Yep, basically the entire post was pure conjecture.

It's a conversation about captainhood. There's really not a lot to go off of.
The entire thread is conjecture. Fit right in.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #202
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Making a ton of conclusions off of practically nothing - a lot of us would be great NHL insiders.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. That said, without commenting on "greed", it may not be best to appoint a captain who is in a big contract negotiation, just because it's another distraction. The same would apply to Gaudreau.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #204
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^^ Some of us are McKenzies, some of us are Friedmans but by and large we're a lot of Jason Gregors.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #205
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True. That said, without commenting on "greed", it may not be best to appoint a captain who is in a big contract negotiation, just because it's another distraction. The same would apply to Gaudreau.
Yes, I can't see this being fruitful.

If Treliving offers c potential aptainhood, it gives the player leverage. Makes them feel indespensible.

If they say that captainhood is off the table, the player is insulted.

It might be better to keep that out of the discussion altogether, at least until the end. And I'm pretty sure the decision is Sutter's.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #206
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Making a ton of conclusions off of practically nothing - a lot of us would be great NHL insiders.
It’s just this topic specifically that I’ve always had an issue with people arguing about. It’s like the last possible item that anybody has any idea of. We aren’t in the room, we aren’t in the gym, we aren’t in the group text, or at the events (parties or charities)… how the #### does anyone know who the captain should be? We don’t know who the guys look up to unless they tell us outright. I mean, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills at all the Tkachuk suggestions. But wtf do I know.

On ice ability, we can argue until the cows come home. Because we have stats and game tape. But arguing about captaincy is basically just a popularity contest rooted in fandom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #207
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:

If Treliving offers c potential aptainhood, it gives the player leverage. Makes them feel indespensible.

It might be better to keep that out of the discussion altogether, at least until the end. And I'm pretty sure the decision is Sutter's.
Yeah, its interesting.

Will it be Treliving using it as contract leverage? I'd find that hard to believe.

Will it be Sutter? Sutter and his coaching staff?

Will it be Sutter giving the players in the room the vote?

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #208
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s just this topic specifically that I’ve always had an issue with people arguing about. It’s like the last possible item that anybody has any idea of. We aren’t in the room, we aren’t in the gym, we aren’t in the group text, or at the events (parties or charities)… how the #### does anyone know who the captain should be? We don’t know who the guys look up to unless they tell us outright. I mean, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills at all the Tkachuk suggestions. But wtf do I know.

On ice ability, we can argue until the cows come home. Because we have stats and game tape. But arguing about captaincy is basically just a popularity contest rooted in fandom.
A lot of leadership shows up on the ice, so yes, we can comment on it. Guys like Yzerman, Crosby...or take your pic of any great leader from the history of the game...you can tell they are leaders from on ice performance. You don't need to see them give people a pat on the back at the gym or see whatsapp messages as evidence of leadership. Frankly that stuff is largely irrelevant to me. Give the C to the guy who shows up for the big plays and drags his team into the game. That's what counts. And that's why you are getting Tkachuck suggestions. He has a bit of work to do, no doubt, but he's got the potential to be that kind of leader.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 09-16-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #209
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my picks are still Backlund, Lindholm, and Taney. All would be good captains IMO. Give an A to Lucic.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #210
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Or does it show Matthew that the Management and Coaching staff want to play the style of game he thrives under, and give him the desire to stay long term and help build a team in his vision. Could keep the price tag down if he knows he had a voice.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #211
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
A lot of leadership shows up on the ice, so yes, we can comment on it. Guys like Yzerman, Crosby...or take your pic of any great leader from the history of the game...you can tell they are leaders from on ice performance. You don't need to see them give people a pat on the back at the gym or see whatsapp messages as evidence of leadership. Frankly that stuff is largely irrelevant to me. Give the C to the guy who shows up for the big plays and drags his team into the game. That's what counts. And that's why you are getting Tkachuck suggestions. He has a bit of work to do, no doubt, but he's got the potential to be that kind of leader.
Fine I’m back in. I cannot think of a single hockey game of importance that Tkachuk dragged his team through. Not a leader.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 12:08 AM   #212
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:

This is how I have approached the issue as well, with the added that Sutter will want someone he knows who can deliver his message to the team as well. I believe that with all of that and looking at the Flames as an organization it will be Backlund. He played under Sutter when he came to NA and played with both Irina and Giordano, this coupled with the fact that there is and never as far as I know been any contract issues would lead to him doing the best job he can and not letting the C affect the way he approaches the game. Which is really what you want as an organization, a player the ref’s respect and will listen to along with a players his team mates respect and look up to but also a pillar of the community(the flames prefer this). Though that view point who on the flames do you think Sutter and the Managment would select?
FranksandBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:15 AM   #213
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Fine I’m back in. I cannot think of a single hockey game of importance that Tkachuk dragged his team through. Not a leader.
Lol
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 AM   #214
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol

Going to provide some examples?

Or just here to lol?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:45 AM   #215
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol
It should be funny as Tkachuk really hasn't done anything in a game of importance in his career. People talk about Gaudreau disappearing in playoffs but that is maybe to be expected with his size and how loose the games get called in playoffs.

Mathew Tkachuk plays like he is 5'5 130 pounds in the playoffs. Hasn't shown up one time in his career in a big game. Frankly he's been one of the worst playoff performers out of the core. Until that changes he should be captain as much as Gaudreau should be captain.

Also, too many people putting too much stock in off ice leadership. To be a good leader you have to lead on the ice first and then if you're a leader off the ice you are a candidate to be captain. You can't only know how to talk to the media and in the locker room or Curtis Lazar would have been the greatest captain ever.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:03 AM   #216
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Yeah, just let someone earn it when the season starts. Take a few months to pick one. What’s the rush?
That's a good point. I believe they'll do just that.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:51 AM   #217
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m fine with your take as long as you realize that no flames players have stepped up when it comes to “hockey game of importance”.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #218
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those big wins over Edmonton where he got Kassian off his game and lead to power plays that won the Flames those games. In 2018/19 that win was a launch pad game for their amazing season. The Flames were average but after that game went on a complete tear.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #219
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Those big wins over Edmonton where he got Kassian off his game and lead to power plays that won the Flames those games. In 2018/19 that win was a launch pad game for their amazing season. The Flames were average but after that game went on a complete tear.
That's not dragging a team to win. May as well call Alex Burrows captain material you equate agitating players off their game as leadership material. We are talking about rising to the occasion and contributing to game winning plays near the end of the season when playoff teams separate themselves from the also rans or being the best team on the ice for your team in the playoffs. He typically goes pretty quiet that time of year and has a miserable 5 points in 15 career playoff games. He reminds me a lot of Phaneuf in that he says a lot of the right things in interviews and badly wants to be a leader but his actions on the ice in big games never back that up.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #220
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Haven't looked at it at all but my memory is the opposite. That game was the downfall of Tkachuk and the Flames that season. I remember the media jumping all over Tkachuk and he was off his game for a while
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote