Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #1881
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks to the posts in this thread, I got motivated to squeeze in a ride on Highwood this morning before I had to work. Went from the Longview side, about 1:45 up to the summit and :55 down. About 8 vehicles when I got there just before 9, and over 50 when I left at noon.

But awesome scenery, and so cool having the road to yourself, and not having to worry about vehicles. Would definitely recommend for anyone considering it.

Definitely chilly at the summit, I think it was right around freezing. I had arm warmers on the way up, then added my wind jacket and leg warmers for the ride down.

Now I want to try the North side before the road opens, if I can find the time.
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #1882
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Highwood makes me wish we had more options to ride without cars. It's so accessible for people of all abilities.

I know the Icefields Parkway pathway that Parks Canada wanted to build got shut down due to wildlife concerns, but IMO if the province were to invest in a handful of cycling pathways in and around K-country, it would likely pay for itself in additional tourism revenue. Probably more sustainable than opening up our parks to coal mining but what do I know.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #1883
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm coming up on about 2 months of rolling on the Tannus tires and I have loved them. Worry free on flats and such is a great feeling. But I have discovered one glitch with them. Broke a spoke on my ride home yesterday. A relatively easy fix right? Well not exactly since the Tannus tire is secured with some special pins and such, so only the folks at Lifesport know how to remove it without causing damage to the tire or rim. And with Covid the soonest they can hook me up is on the 19th, I'll take it but I hope to limp along until then on the bike.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #1884
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, I did the North side of Highwood to the summit and back today! Amazing weather, awesome scenery, I was literally smiling as I was huffing up the climb and looking around.

Now I want to do the full over and back, 105k....negotiating with my wife on if I can squeeze it in before the 15th. I would’ve loved to do it today with the weather the way it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #1885
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Highwood makes me wish we had more options to ride without cars. It's so accessible for people of all abilities.

I know the Icefields Parkway pathway that Parks Canada wanted to build got shut down due to wildlife concerns, but IMO if the province were to invest in a handful of cycling pathways in and around K-country, it would likely pay for itself in additional tourism revenue. Probably more sustainable than opening up our parks to coal mining but what do I know.
From what I hear, Bow Valley Parkway has a full lane dedicated to bikes right now and for the foreseeable future because of Covid.

We definitely need a few road size bike only stretches that are permanently open. It'd be great for tourism. Make them a little easier than Highwood and you'd get cyclists of all shapes and sizes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Well, I did the North side of Highwood to the summit and back today! Amazing weather, awesome scenery, I was literally smiling as I was huffing up the climb and looking around.

Now I want to do the full over and back, 105k....negotiating with my wife on if I can squeeze it in before the 15th. I would’ve loved to do it today with the weather the way it was.
The weather is looking sketchy, but I'm looking at doing a really early gate to gate to gate of Highwood Saturday morning. Likely the only day before Monday. Tomorrow would be the day to do it if I could.

Last edited by KTrain; 06-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #1886
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Well I'm coming up on about 2 months of rolling on the Tannus tires and I have loved them. Worry free on flats and such is a great feeling. But I have discovered one glitch with them. Broke a spoke on my ride home yesterday. A relatively easy fix right? Well not exactly since the Tannus tire is secured with some special pins and such, so only the folks at Lifesport know how to remove it without causing damage to the tire or rim. And with Covid the soonest they can hook me up is on the 19th, I'll take it but I hope to limp along until then on the bike.
Do the tires have less give than a normal tire? Could that cause the rim/spokes to take more of the impact?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #1887
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

https://tannusamerica.com/pages/tann...e-installation

the bottom video shows how to remove with a wrench and clippers if you don't have the S-tool. You have to cut the clips and get new ones.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #1888
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We had a bike stolen last night. A 2020 Specialized Levo Comp in Storm Grey (bluish color). Guy took it to demo yesterday and his garage was broken into last night in Altadore.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #1889
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This is going to sound jerky, but that sounds super suspicious.

How does your shop handle something like that? I'm guessing they've put a deposit down. They owe the full price now?

Last edited by KTrain; 06-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #1890
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Do the tires have less give than a normal tire? Could that cause the rim/spokes to take more of the impact?
Not that I can tell, I got the 'normal' ones that simulate about 105psi. The bike I have them on has now passed 11,000km since I got it. This is actually the first spoke I've broken.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #1891
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone ridden highwood while there are cars on it? Tomorrow's forecast doesn't look great, but next week is much nicer.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #1892
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

went and rode highwood from the north gate. What an awesome ride. Can't believe I've never done it before. Well I can. I'm a master procrastinator.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 04:15 PM   #1893
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to get a bike so that I can ride with my kids. Obviously it doesn't require any sort of suspension but I'm just hoping for something with a solid set of components for a decent price. I know nothing about where to start shopping and when I look online at the bike shops they are pretty much all $1000+. I'm hoping to do $500 to $600. Where should I start? Just get something from Sportchek? We did purchase a GT bike from Sportchek a few years ago and it has been a good choice so I guess I could just get another one but I wonder if I should look elsewhere as well.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #1894
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would recommend going to a bike shop rather than Walmart/Canadian Tire/Sportchek. That being said, the bike stores have very low inventory right now. Yesterday, I was in The Bike Shop on MacLeod and they have been wiped out.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 PM   #1895
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t mind sportchek.

The GT bikes are very reasonable quality. Similar to entry level bike store. Their Bike assembly staff is reasonably competent. They aren’t pros like the bike shop guys but it also isn’t a Walmart or Canadian tire random employee building bikes.

So I see them as a very reasonable place to get a bike for your description of how you plan to use it. You can also stack coupons to get discounts. At a minimum you should be able to get the sale price plus 10% off at one of their friends and family events plus another 10% from the email sign up coupon. Usually makes them significantly cheaper than the similar kitted bike shop bike.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #1896
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 06-14-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #1897
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t mind sportchek.

The GT bikes are very reasonable quality. Similar to entry level bike store. Their Bike assembly staff is reasonably competent. They aren’t pros like the bike shop guys but it also isn’t a Walmart or Canadian tire random employee building bikes.

So I see them as a very reasonable place to get a bike for your description of how you plan to use it. You can also stack coupons to get discounts. At a minimum you should be able to get the sale price plus 10% off at one of their friends and family events plus another 10% from the email sign up coupon. Usually makes them significantly cheaper than the similar kitted bike shop bike.
Yeah. The last bike we bought from there was a smoking deal because my buddy was a Manager at one of the stores and gave us a ridiculous deal. Unfortunately he moved back to Ontario.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #1898
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was going to sleep in a bit tomorrow morning and not ride; however the forecast for the week is lots of rain and I just installed my new red jockey wheels on my gravel grinder, so I have my clothes out and am planning on going for a pre work spin tomorrow am.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #1899
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was in Kananaskis yesterday (not riding) and was stunned by how many people were riding from the north gate. Cars were parked for probably a kilometre along the highway, plus into the turnoffs and into Peter Lougheed. Slowed traffic down a little for people trying to access the Kananaskis Lakes area but not too bad. Was also nice to see tickets on vehicles for people who were parking in illegal areas. One gear grinder however. With vehicles parking along both sides of the highway the useable width was somewhat reduced for vehicles (again not a big deal). What was a big deal was riders getting ready with their car doors wide open and generally milling around in the traffic lanes while they adjusted shoes, clothing, helmets etc. That was really causing bottle necks as it basically reduced the highway to one lane (total).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #1900
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Was in Kananaskis yesterday (not riding) and was stunned by how many people were riding from the north gate. Cars were parked for probably a kilometre along the highway, plus into the turnoffs and into Peter Lougheed. Slowed traffic down a little for people trying to access the Kananaskis Lakes area but not too bad.
I was going to post the same thing. I was out on Friday and it was great to see so many people enjoying the outdoors in a safe, physically distant way.

Really speaks to the demand and tourism draw there would be for a long-distance, car-free cycling route in the mountains IMO.

Was thinking over the weekend that The Cowboy Trail would be a good candidate — the province already has the highway 22 / utility right of way, the name gives you a head start on marketing the thing, and the scenery is exceptional.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post: