Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #1801
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m trying to set the sag on my rear shock. When I connect the hp shock pump, the gauge registers a pressure. When I try to pump air into the shock, the pump is hard to compress and the gauge increases then drops when I release the pump. No air is entering the chamber. It’s a fox float dips performance. I’ve set sag on other bikes easily but this isn’t working. What am I doing wrong?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #1802
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

dp

Last edited by wwkayaker; 05-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #1803
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a really hard time watching this. I had to hit pause a couple of times...

https://vimeo.com/411086335?1&ref=fb...1h43B6RIjrhS54
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #1804
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I met Ryan Correy at the Calgary bike show a few years back. Maybe 2016 or 2017? I had a short chat with him, really nice guy, was definitely one of the influences that got me into exploring more by bicycle. Really sad he was taken so soon, he had such a positive impact on cycling in Alberta and BC and is sorely missed.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #1805
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting article with what is happening with bikes and bike shops in these times.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/we-are-...-out-of-bikes/

Talking with some of the reps, they are all scrambling to find bikes for their shops. The demand is insane here in Calgary.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #1806
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I went out to Turner Valley and headed to Sheep River this morning to take advantage of the road being closed to cars. Opens up tomorrow to cars so brave the wind and go this afternoon.

Link
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #1807
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Interesting article with what is happening with bikes and bike shops in these times.

https://www.bikemag.com/news/we-are-...-out-of-bikes/

Talking with some of the reps, they are all scrambling to find bikes for their shops. The demand is insane here in Calgary.

Yup. Sadly, however, that same rush mentality did not seem to extend to helmets. The places I know all have full stock of helmets.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #1808
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yesterday, I watched a man and his kids go by on bikes. One girl was riding her own bike and the other child was riding in a bike seat on dad’s bike. He had a helmet while his two young kids didn’t.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #1809
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my Giant Defy (rim breaks). It's got the stock PR-2 wheels which I've read are kinda clunky.

I'm not ready to drop $1k/wheel on a carbon set or anything like that, but would appreciate something more responsive / lighterweight. My regular use is for an inner city commute, plus casual road riding around Calgary / Bragg Creek (maybe 50-100k / week).

Any recommendations from the CP crowd? I'll admit I'm in a bit over my head here, but so far the contenders seem to be:

Mavic Kysrium Elite UST
Hunt Race Aero Wide
Fulcrum Racing 17C
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800

I've also noticed that many of these wheels come tubeless, or are tubeless ready. What's the consensus on tubeless tech for road riding —#is it ready for prime time?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #1810
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Thinking about upgrading the wheelset on my Giant Defy (rim breaks). It's got the stock PR-2 wheels which I've read are kinda clunky.

I'm not ready to drop $1k/wheel on a carbon set or anything like that, but would appreciate something more responsive / lighterweight. My regular use is for an inner city commute, plus casual road riding around Calgary / Bragg Creek (maybe 50-100k / week).

Any recommendations from the CP crowd? I'll admit I'm in a bit over my head here, but so far the contenders seem to be:

Mavic Kysrium Elite UST
Hunt Race Aero Wide
Fulcrum Racing 17C
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800

I've also noticed that many of these wheels come tubeless, or are tubeless ready. What's the consensus on tubeless tech for road riding —#is it ready for prime time?

I really like the Shimano C24 wheels. They were my first wheel upgrade on my old Cervelo R3. They were noticeably lighter and faster, especially up hills. I bought mine in April 2016 from probikekit.ca for $945 CAD, but it looks like they can't sell Shimano to Canada anymore. There is a wheelset (front and rear) on Jenson USA for $1,135 CAD. These are for rim brakes and are clinchers.

As for tubeless, see my post a few up. I ride Continental 5000 TL on my main two bikes and I've had to replace one tire in 11 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #1811
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Mavic Kysrium Elite UST
Hunt Race Aero Wide
Fulcrum Racing 17C
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800

Chain Reaction mail order, look at their Prime wheels.
I bought some last year and they've been super awesome.

that's deep 50mm carbon, rim brakes, including tubes & tires for about $700 Cdn. 1600gm wheelset incl. skewers. Definitely run a LOT faster than my old Ksyrium's and a lot easier to handle in our winds.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 03:16 AM   #1812
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for this info on the Prime wheels. I was eyeing up the enve 3.4’s, but the pandemic decided I shouldn’t spend 3500 bucks on them. So good to hear the Primes may be a more affordable option.

How are they climbing, and you mentioned how they are in wind, how much difference do you notice with the deeper section vs. a stock wheel set?
Ryan Coke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #1813
Sert
Draft Pick

Quote:

Mavic Kysrium Elite UST
Hunt Race Aero Wide
Fulcrum Racing 17C
Shimano Ultegra WH-6800

Are you looking to sell the original pr2 wheelset when you upgrade? I've got a giant frame/drivetrain i'm trying to build up and am looking for some wheels in reasonable shape

Last edited by Sert; 05-15-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #1814
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

If any of you are out in cochrane over the coming weeks you should check out Big Hill Cycle. New little bike store in town with a nice selection of bikes and helpful staff.

https://bighillcycle.com/
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #1815
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is interested I am selling my 2016 Thunderbolt. My ad is in the buy and sell section and is posted on Kijiji, Facebook and pink bike.

I would give a special CP deal if anyone is interested
Old 05-16-2020, 04:03 PM   #1816
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whew, I managed to sell my rig at a price that made my wife happy....well as happy as someone can be who has a spouse with a carbon addiction
Old 05-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #1817
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks for this info on the Prime wheels. I was eyeing up the enve 3.4’s, but the pandemic decided I shouldn’t spend 3500 bucks on them. So good to hear the Primes may be a more affordable option.

How are they climbing, and you mentioned how they are in wind, how much difference do you notice with the deeper section vs. a stock wheel set?

coming from ~2008 square/boxy rimmed Ksyrium elites, and onto a new Cervelo, this wheelset significantly exceeded my expectations given their price. Now my buddy who rides a set of DuraAce as his regular summer wheels also bought some this spring and he says they're excellent (but not quite a good). my deepdish primes do of course get grabbed by the wind, however the wide bladed-spokes on the ksyriums were WAY worse. On the primes I also put lightweight tubes and light tires too. Tubeless in the future once I get through my backlog in the garage. hope this helps.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #1818
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Whew, I managed to sell my rig at a price that made my wife happy....well as happy as someone can be who has a spouse with a carbon addiction
Didn’t you post here when you bought that bike it was the dream bike and the last one you would buy
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #1819
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ meh, dreams, like technology change......
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #1820
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Strava announced some big changes today. If you're not a subscriber you're about to lose some features.

I actually agree with the move but it's ill-timed and not usually the way these things happen. Usually paying customers get new features, not features removed from non-paying.

They claim they're not currently profitable.

Understandably, it's making quite a few people upset. I think lowering the subscription fee for Summit, while announcing these changes would have been more well received.

Quote:
  • Non-paying users will no longer see the full leaderboard: They’ll only see the top 10 times (all + Top 10 women), you won’t see your friends anymore, nor clubs or weight/age groups
  • Strava is removing the leaderboard from all 3rd party apps: If your using one of the 44,000 3rd party apps out there to do anything with Segments, this likely just broke it. Only devices like those from Garmin/Wahoo/Hammerhead/etc that have Strava Live Segments can display that for paying members.
  • Non-paying users will no longer get the web route builder: If you want to build routes, you’ll need to use another platform.

In addition to those substantial ones, there’s also one lesser removal:
  • Non-paying users will not longer get ‘matched rides/runs’ feature: This will automatically compare runs/rides on the same route from a pace/speed standpoint.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/...-and-more.html
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: